Olympics

Re: Olympics

Postby chrisco » 12 Feb 2018, 14:33

CourtesyFlush wrote:It's weird but I en joy these sports when they're in the Olympics but hate hate hate the X-Games. ¯\_( ツ)_/¯

I have no idea why.

BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby jman » 12 Feb 2018, 14:37

chrisco wrote:
jman wrote:Ok, I think Wolf in another thread mentioned ranking stuff so I'll throw out my top 5 beefs with Olympic snowboarding.

5. It's made Shaun White a name. I don't know why but I just don't like that fucker.

4. They don't "start" their run, they "drop in". FOH

3. The results are based solely on judging. I pretty much hate all events like this. I don't need the drama of waiting to see who some dickhead from Belgium thinks landed the best double cork 360. Be the best within an objective set of rules (distance, time) and you're the winner.

2. At least in the event that was on yesterday, they took the highest score from each rider out of multiple runs and that determined the results. Not the average or cumulative score of those runs, but just the highest. So these dipshits only have to hit one run cleanly out of 4 and hope everyone else washes out. Way to emphasize actually being good at your sport, Olympics.

1. It's an Olympic sport. Didn't they invent the X games for this shit? I'm sure it's existence is solely 'murrica getting it shoehorned into the games to win more medals. Thanks Obama.

Strong list. How on earth to the announcers keep track of these moves? I see a snowboarder go off a jump and all I can tell is how high they went, if it felt like they twisted around a little or a lot, and if they "nailed" the landing. Meanwhile the announcers are gushing about how she just corked that half side 1040 mcgriddle with a backside twinkle tap.

yeah this was on the list too and I was trying to come up with a way to say it. Basically "I don't know what the fuck they're doing, it just all looks like a bunch of spinning and twisting" was the best I could do. I'm guessing the announcers have a cheat sheet with what moves they have planned prior to the run?
jman
Bruce Dickinson

Postby Goose » 12 Feb 2018, 14:40

I am also not a fan of sports whose outcome is determined by judges' scores. But without that there's no figure skating or gymnastics and suddenly the Olympics lose half of their viewers.

I do enjoy watching the snowboarding and freestyle skiing, but don't really care about the results. Unlike Flush I like the X Games more because they just show run after run and don't cut every two minutes to show us how somebody overcame their cousin having social anxiety disorder in order to become a TRU Olympic champion.

ETA:

jman wrote:yeah this was on the list too and I was trying to come up with a way to say it. Basically "I don't know what the fuck they're doing, it just all looks like a bunch of spinning and twisting" was the best I could do. I'm guessing the announcers have a cheat sheet with what moves they have planned prior to the run?

Yes they do. Kind of like the figure skating programs.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby TheWolf » 12 Feb 2018, 14:43

Sco brings up a good point. That bothers me (among other things) about the figure skating, too. The wife had that on last night, and the announcers kept going on and on about the specific details of their moves, as if anyone had a fucking clue what any of these things were, and noticed that her toe sprayed up more snow because she was under-rotated or something. They mentioned something called a twizzle like 30 times. I don't watch a lot of figure skating, but I don't recall ever hearing that one before. I remember lutzes and salchows and such. But what's a twizzle? Also, I like Twizzlers.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 12 Feb 2018, 14:52

sorry i missed the biathlon, that's always my favorite obscure winter sport
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 12 Feb 2018, 14:54

Rodney Farva wrote:sorry i missed the biathlon, that's always my favorite obscure winter sport

I forgive you.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Gregs Kite » 12 Feb 2018, 14:55

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby chrisco » 12 Feb 2018, 14:55

Rodney Farva wrote:sorry i missed the biathlon, that's always my favorite obscure winter sport

There's plenty more biathlon. I think we are only through the 30km mixed something or other. My sources tell me that Norway plans on winning 80 medals shooting things on skis.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby jman » 12 Feb 2018, 14:58

Goose wrote:I am also not a fan of sports whose outcome is determined by judges' scores. But without that there's no figure skating or gymnastics and suddenly the Olympics lose half of their viewers.

I get that we don't care about cross-country skiing or biathlon or ski jumping because we suck at them, but I like watching different and more obscure events and the fact that they just cram ice skating and snowboarding down our throats annoys the crap out of me.

Goose wrote:I do enjoy watching the snowboarding and freestyle skiing, but don't really care about the results. Unlike Flush I like the X Games more because they just show run after run and don't cut every two minutes to show us how somebody overcame their cousin having social anxiety disorder in order to become a TRU Olympic champion.

Couldn't agree with this more.
jman
Bruce Dickinson

Postby Rodney Farva » 12 Feb 2018, 14:58

chrisco wrote:

There's plenty more biathlon. I think we are only through the 30km mixed something or other. My sources tell me that Norway plans on winning 80 medals shooting things on skis.

oh good. i'll be sure to miss a lot more.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 12 Feb 2018, 14:59

Rodney Farva wrote:
chrisco wrote:

Just blame it on the wind.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby chrisco » 12 Feb 2018, 15:13

TheWolf wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:
chrisco wrote:

Just blame it on the wind.

It's on a little network called NBC right now.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 12 Feb 2018, 16:37

They need to add shooting into more Olympic sports. What if in the 4000m freestyle swimming event, they had to hit a target with a harpoon? Ratings gold!
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Gregs Kite » 13 Feb 2018, 10:23

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby jman » 13 Feb 2018, 11:42

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that was real.

Also super stoked they mentioned skateboarding is being added to the summer games in 2020 :roll:
jman
Bruce Dickinson

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports