Movies You've Seen Recently

Re: Movies You've Seen Recently

Postby Rodney Farva » 27 Dec 2017, 15:09

i saw the preview for that a couple times, one of those where i enjoyed the preview (she looks really fine in it) but had no interest in seeing the movie itself. looked a little too full of itself, no surprise with sorkin.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Dthefritz » 27 Dec 2017, 17:47

mj3528 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:Molly's Game

pluses:
-Jessica Rabbit Chest stain going for her Erin Brokovich's bra Oscar
-Stringer Bell
-Making Tobey McGuire look like a dick
-The good stuff you'd expect from a Sorkin script

cons:
-The bad stuff you'd expect from a Sorkin script
-"Based on a True Story" should be replaced with "30% of a True Story, maybe"
-The bits all over the place; easy to follow, sure, but lets keep it tight fellas
-it's just kinda there

meh-ly's game

I am disappointed in that review. This was an actually a movie I was looking forward to seeing. I probably will still do so at some point, just to stare at Jessica Chastain for a few hours.

I en joy Chastain's work, but it seems a stretch that her hotness would be a sufficient reason to see a movie absent other redeeming qualities.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mj3528 » 27 Dec 2017, 17:49

Dthefritz wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:Molly's Game

pluses:
-Jessica Rabbit Chest stain going for her Erin Brokovich's bra Oscar
-Stringer Bell
-Making Tobey McGuire look like a dick
-The good stuff you'd expect from a Sorkin script

cons:
-The bad stuff you'd expect from a Sorkin script
-"Based on a True Story" should be replaced with "30% of a True Story, maybe"
-The bits all over the place; easy to follow, sure, but lets keep it tight fellas
-it's just kinda there

meh-ly's game

I am disappointed in that review. This was an actually a movie I was looking forward to seeing. I probably will still do so at some point, just to stare at Jessica Chastain for a few hours.

I en joy Chastain's work, but it seems a stretch that her hotness would be a sufficient reason to see a movie absent other redeeming qualities.

It appears to have a few redeeming qualities, so Chastain's hotness will probably put it over the top for me at some point. Your point is valid, and I wasn't exactly clear in my post so I can see why you made it.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby TheWolf » 29 Dec 2017, 01:07

Tonight I viewed Get Out, by the Key and Peele guy. Lena Dunham's hot friend that got her ass eaten on TV that time takes her black boyfriend home to meet her parents. He was in an episode of Black Mirror, bacon knows what I mean. Where was I? Oh yeah, white chick brings a black dude home. Believe it or not, white people are shitty and it doesn't go well.

Seriously though, this was a good flick. Creepy af, but occasionally funny too. Even the not-remotely-veiled "fuck white people" message didn't take too much away from my enjoyment of the experience.

Pretty strong rec.

31, avoid at all costs.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby TheWolf » 29 Dec 2017, 13:05

Briandong79 wrote:Took the boys to see Coco yesterday. Probably my favorite kids movie ever. Definitely my favorite movie I saw this year, tremendous flick. High rec.

I took Pup 1 to see this this morning. I agree with Dong's review. This was a fantastic movie. Also, if it doesn't make you cry like a little girl whose puppy just died, you're a fucking monster and I don't want you on my planet.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby nerf66 » 31 Dec 2017, 12:57

TheWolf wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:Took the boys to see Coco yesterday. Probably my favorite kids movie ever. Definitely my favorite movie I saw this year, tremendous flick. High rec.

I took Pup 1 to see this this morning. I agree with Dong's review. This was a fantastic movie. Also, if it doesn't make you cry like a little girl whose puppy just died, you're a fucking monster and I don't want you on my planet.

It was good. Solid B+/A-

Favorite kids movie ever? Not for me. There are a lot of kids movie that i would put ahead of this. LEGO Movie, Lego Batman, etc...

The animation is really, really good.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby Rodney Farva » 02 Jan 2018, 19:00

The Post. eh, i dunno, i guess it was good and a strong cast but had a smidge too much Spielberger schmaltz and ponderousness for my taste.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 02 Jan 2018, 22:29

Rodney Farva wrote:The Post. eh, i dunno, i guess it was good and a strong cast but had a smidge too much Spielberger schmaltz and ponderousness for my taste.

Has Hanks done a good movie in like 15-20 years? All pretentious pieces of shit.

Also, I suspect that this film is going to take a hit bc ppl are sick of Merrill Streep’s uppity nonsense.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Dthefritz » 02 Jan 2018, 22:31

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:The Post. eh, i dunno, i guess it was good and a strong cast but had a smidge too much Spielberger schmaltz and ponderousness for my taste.

Has Hanks done a good movie in like 15-20 years? All pretentious pieces of shit.

Captain Phillips wasn't pretentious! It was still a piece of shit, but you know...not pretentious.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 03 Jan 2018, 05:12

Dude needs to make a Boosom Buddies movie.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby chrisco » 03 Jan 2018, 08:40

I seen Get Out. It didn't do it for me at all. As a known hater of awkwardness in my film and television, I'm chalking that up as a big reason, but I also found the premise boring. Maybe if I was a black person with anxiety this might be a "thriller", but for me it was dull as bricks. No thrills.

I should have stuck with my gene's pick called In the Valley of Violence starring Ethan Hawke, John Travolta, Ziggy from the #GOAT, and a dog. At least with that one I could have completely tuned it out and played threes on my phone.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 03 Jan 2018, 11:06

As a thriller I thought it was disappointing, as a comedy I thought it was great.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 03 Jan 2018, 18:33

Disaster Artist. Pretty good, I doubt it's any good if you've never seen The Room though. Franco does a good Tommy. I enjoy the crew asking the questions throughout that every viewer asks.

Tommy was at a screening I went to once. Dude is a category unto himself.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby TheWolf » 03 Jan 2018, 18:43

MisterTambourineMan wrote:Disaster Artist. Pretty good, I doubt it's any good if you've never seen The Room though. Franco does a good Tommy. I enjoy the crew asking the questions throughout that every viewer asks.

Would I enjoy it more if I knew who Tommy was?
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dthefritz » 03 Jan 2018, 21:13

MisterTambourineMan wrote:Disaster Artist. Pretty good, I doubt it's any good if you've never seen The Room though. Franco does a good Tommy. I enjoy the crew asking the questions throughout that every viewer asks.

You went to a screening of The Room? Did you know the maestro himself would be there?
Dthefritz
tl;dr

PreviousNext

Return to Movies