Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Discuss the columns here!

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Goreaxe » 08 Mar 2010, 20:25

Simmons has responded on Twitter:

sportsguy33 I've said enough. This was not why I got into writing. RT @rgspiegel: Anxiously awaiting ur response to Olbermann...this should be good.


I don't even know where to begin. Simmons got into writing for serious reasons like waxing poetic about The Karate Kid, The Real World, and ARod's sexuality. He certainly didn't get into writing to exchange a war of words with Olbermann. He prefers his war of words to be one sided against generally defenseless targets.

I just wonder whether his masters at ESPN told him to end this, or if he actually had the common sense to realize he's outgunned and outmaneuvered on this one. Probably the third reason, that like most chickenhearted internet tough guys, the slightest response in kind results in his innate cowardice coming through. Billy boy should stick to taking shots at the WNBA.
Goreaxe
Doug Christie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 12:03

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby IhateTomBrady » 08 Mar 2010, 20:52

Goreaxe wrote:Simmons has responded on Twitter:

sportsguy33 I've said enough. This was not why I got into writing. RT @rgspiegel: Anxiously awaiting ur response to Olbermann...this should be good.


I don't even know where to begin. Simmons got into writing for serious reasons like waxing poetic about The Karate Kid, The Real World, and ARod's sexuality. He certainly didn't get into writing to exchange a war of words with Olbermann. He prefers his war of words to be one sided against generally defenseless targets.

I just wonder whether his masters at ESPN told him to end this, or if he actually had the common sense to realize he's outgunned and outmaneuvered on this one. Probably the third reason, that like most chickenhearted internet tough guys, the slightest response in kind results in his innate cowardice coming through. Billy boy should stick to taking shots at the WNBA.


As much as the majority of us at SOTSG dislike Simmons, he still carries a lot of cache with the mainstream. I know too many douchebags (takes one to know one) who eat up every bit that idiot writes and eventually will try to pass it of as their own idea in a conversation later. As for Olbermann, he is such a despicable POS that Simmons won't really be tarnished by this little tiff. His shit writing should speak for itself but it their is legion of sycophants that still eat it up. And for that, ESPN will still deal with his diva ways.
_ to Dick Hertz: You wrote your own death when you signed the cheque off on that McMansion that is most definitely underwater at this point but too proud to tell anyone here... You don't know jack shit about the blue collar life you yuppie faggot.
User avatar
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3982
Joined: 20 Feb 2006, 16:05
Location: ready to be the 1%

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 08 Mar 2010, 21:08

Simmons is a bit of a cad
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31040
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Colonel Angus » 08 Mar 2010, 21:15

shoutbox wrote:Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:46 pm Colonel Angus i predict he drops the whole thing because a) the wwl teels him to; and b) he realizes everyone is laughing AT him ont he tiger/ali thing, not WITH him. but he will couch his dropping it in nebulous disney-blaming crap.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby NFL Outsider » 09 Mar 2010, 02:00

Goreaxe wrote:Simmons has responded on Twitter:

sportsguy33 I've said enough. This was not why I got into writing. RT @rgspiegel: Anxiously awaiting ur response to Olbermann...this should be good.


I don't even know where to begin. Simmons got into writing for serious reasons like waxing poetic about The Karate Kid, The Real World, and ARod's sexuality. He certainly didn't get into writing to exchange a war of words with Olbermann. He prefers his war of words to be one sided against generally defenseless targets.

I just wonder whether his masters at ESPN told him to end this, or if he actually had the common sense to realize he's outgunned and outmaneuvered on this one. Probably the third reason, that like most chickenhearted internet tough guys, the slightest response in kind results in his innate cowardice coming through. Billy boy should stick to taking shots at the WNBA.


Unlike Rocky in Rocky IV, Simpson is able to toss in the towel to stop the bleeding.

If hatred for Simpson is overblown on this board, I would have to surmise that the same is true of Olbermann.
Read http://thehaternation.blogspot.com or the terrorists have won.
User avatar
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3028
Joined: 24 May 2005, 16:51
Location: Sunset Beach, CA

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby dlpin » 09 Mar 2010, 02:20

Colonel Angus wrote:
shoutbox wrote:Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:46 pm Colonel Angus i predict he drops the whole thing because a) the wwl teels him to; and b) he realizes everyone is laughing AT him ont he tiger/ali thing, not WITH him. but he will couch his dropping it in nebulous disney-blaming crap.


c) He realized that bringing personal relationships into the whole mess would end badly for him, as Olbermann is the guy fucking a 20-something hot blond, and Simmons is the guy who complains about getting married too young and having kids every chance he gets.

I think Simba is the type of guy who wouldn't care if people were laughing at him on the tiger thing, but would be very bothered by the fact that Olbermann, a totally "uncool" man in his fifties, has a more active sexual and social life than him, the 40 year old that desperately tries to cling to his youth by watching more MTV than the average teenage girl. If anything, I think Olbermann has done everything Simba has dreamed of doing, but never had the backbone to do. Olbermann started trouble with ESPN by going on the daily show without authorization (while Simba was pissed but acquiesced to not going on that Mad Dog radio show anymore). Then Olbermann got canned from Fox for disclosing that Murdoch wanted to sell the Dodgers, while Simba years ago complained about journalists sitting on stories due to their relationships with the people involved, but now openly admits to not saying things because he wanted to preserve Dork Elvis. And now Olbermann is one of the hosts of NBC's sunday night football, while Billy once wrote obsessively about halftime shows. Finally, Olbermann is actually controversial with all the political crap he pulls, while Simba tries hard but is only laughed at with the Ali/tiger crap and his "podcast with Obama" crap.

I don't like Olbermann, and I would never watch his MSNBC show. But it's clear to me from the way Simba talks about life that he wanted to be the playboy fucking the chick less than half his age, being respected within sports circles while moving beyond sports into culture/politics and actually being controversial.
User avatar
dlpin
Rocky Balboa
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 20:31

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby dlpin » 09 Mar 2010, 02:35

chris kaman ur face wrote:Is this post serious? The book he wrote that was filled with "errors, typos, and inconsistencies" got to #1 on the best sellers list. Are you actually implying it hurt his career? Also, lets be real. Him getting into a bitch fight with olbermann will do nothing to hurt his career. The only people who like Olbermann are far left wing liberals and even some of them don't like him. Olbermann is one of the least popular men in America. Even if Olbermanns right, people will refuse to admit it and Simmons will come out looking good by default. Please don't confuse your hatred of Simmons with reality.



Any major media personality or anyone promoted heavily by any major corporation can sell books. Ann Coulter does it too, as did Keith Olbermann himself. And Olbermann is certainly not very popular overall, but that is true of all political commentators. To be successful a guy like that doesn't need to have the majority of people like him, he just needs to have a decent following. And in the end more people know who Olbermann is than they know who the "sports guy" is.

Finally, I don't think the bitch fight will hurt his career. But I do think that articles like the Ali/Tiger one have significantly hurt his reputation, at least with the more hardcore sports followers. Suffice it to say that most sports blogs or writers who have talked about the issue have either explicitly or implicitly sided with the Olbermann point of view, while Simba got glowing reviews from thehollywoodgossip.com
User avatar
dlpin
Rocky Balboa
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 20:31

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Dthefritz » 09 Mar 2010, 02:48

dlpin wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
shoutbox wrote:Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:46 pm Colonel Angus i predict he drops the whole thing because a) the wwl teels him to; and b) he realizes everyone is laughing AT him ont he tiger/ali thing, not WITH him. but he will couch his dropping it in nebulous disney-blaming crap.


c) He realized that bringing personal relationships into the whole mess would end badly for him, as Olbermann is the guy fucking a 20-something hot blond, and Simmons is the guy who complains about getting married too young and having kids every chance he gets.

I think Simba is the type of guy who wouldn't care if people were laughing at him on the tiger thing, but would be very bothered by the fact that Olbermann, a totally "uncool" man in his fifties, has a more active sexual and social life than him, the 40 year old that desperately tries to cling to his youth by watching more MTV than the average teenage girl. If anything, I think Olbermann has done everything Simba has dreamed of doing, but never had the backbone to do. Olbermann started trouble with ESPN by going on the daily show without authorization (while Simba was pissed but acquiesced to not going on that Mad Dog radio show anymore). Then Olbermann got canned from Fox for disclosing that Murdoch wanted to sell the Dodgers, while Simba years ago complained about journalists sitting on stories due to their relationships with the people involved, but now openly admits to not saying things because he wanted to preserve Dork Elvis. And now Olbermann is one of the hosts of NBC's sunday night football, while Billy once wrote obsessively about halftime shows. Finally, Olbermann is actually controversial with all the political crap he pulls, while Simba tries hard but is only laughed at with the Ali/tiger crap and his "podcast with Obama" crap.

I don't like Olbermann, and I would never watch his MSNBC show. But it's clear to me from the way Simba talks about life that he wanted to be the playboy fucking the chick less than half his age, being respected within sports circles while moving beyond sports into culture/politics and actually being controversial.


Remember that he was banned from twitter by ESPN for two weeks after his last "feud." I don't thinks Simmons has as much leverage with ESPN as Olbermann had in his day. As much traffic as Simmons generates, ESPN's web content is still only a minor portion of its output. Olbermann was with ESPN before the website AND the magazine and was one of their most popular anchors. Didn't he co-write a book with Dan Patrick? Point is, ESPN would jettison Simmons in two seconds if he defied them beyond initial discipline. He's milked this controversy for all its worth and there's no point in pursuing it farther.

Regardless of who Olbermann is banging, he's a widely disliked blowhard at a second-tier network. Plus, his job probably entails being up before noon and putting in more than 2 hours of work a day. I doubt Simmons would trade places with him. If anything, the BOB revealed his moralistic, socially conservative streak. I think he believes wholeheartedly in the importance of family and all that crap. That and he was aping Kimmel's shots at Leno.

dlpin wrote:But I do think that articles like the Ali/Tiger one have significantly hurt his reputation, at least with the more hardcore sports followers.

Does ESPN really care about this demo? They've been courting casual sports fans at the expense of the diehards for at least a decade now. In the end, they know the big time sports fan is still going to watch Sportscenter at the end of the day, even if he's too pissed at Skip Bayless to watch Cold Pizza anymore.
User avatar
Dthefritz
tl;dr
 
Posts: 7466
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:35
Location: In the green, never in between

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby dlpin » 09 Mar 2010, 03:07

Dthefritz wrote:
Remember that he was banned from twitter by ESPN for two weeks after his last "gentle ball washing." I don't thinks Simmons has as much leverage with ESPN as Olbermann had in his day. As much traffic as Simmons generates, ESPN's web content is still only a minor portion of its output. Olbermann was with ESPN before the website AND the magazine and was one of their most popular anchors. Didn't he co-write a book with Dan Patrick? Point is, ESPN would jettison Simmons in two seconds if he defied them beyond initial discipline. He's milked this controversy for all its worth and there's no point in pursuing it farther.

Regardless of who Olbermann is banging, he's a widely disliked blowhard at a second-tier network. Plus, his job probably entails being up before noon and putting in more than 2 hours of work a day. I doubt Simmons would trade places with him. If anything, the BOB revealed his moralistic, socially conservative streak. I think he believes wholeheartedly in the importance of family and all that crap. That and he was aping Kimmel's shots at Leno.

Does ESPN really care about this demo? They've been courting casual sports fans at the expense of the diehards for at least a decade now. In the end, they know the big time sports fan is still going to watch Sportscenter at the end of the day, even if he's too pissed at Skip Bayless to watch Cold Pizza anymore.


Co-host of sunday night football is a pretty big deal. And while his msnbc show isn't as popular right now as it was during the height of Obama's popularity, his show is still more popular than anything that CNN has. Being disliked comes with the territory.

And while ESPN may not care about the hardcore sportsfan, they are the only sports network that can get away with that, which means that losing respect among the more diehard sportsfans can actually hurt Simba's career. Additionally, at some point an older man writing about leering at chicks in Vegas, mtv reality shows, and overall gossip just becomes sad.

Whether Simba would actually trade places with him, I don't know. The public persona he likes to put forth (all-media, all subjects commentator who tries desperately to be controversial and talking about his cool life) certainly would.
User avatar
dlpin
Rocky Balboa
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 20:31

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 09 Mar 2010, 10:35

Simmons is obnoxious, and writing things like "Sandy Bullock", "Ben Button", "Fabby Oberto", and making other nicknames up that try to make him seem like an insider is just stupid. I disagree with so much of what he writes.

However, in this case, Olbermann took an unprovoked shot. Bill might have been juvenile is his response about the cats and living alone, but what would you guys have done? Nothing in order to not give KO any more attention, or would you have tried to fight back? I just think SImmons felt he was attacked unnecessarily and went on the offensive and now in this case he realizes (probably with some "help" from his bosses) that enough is enough.

There Angus, another post NOT about Super Bowl 40. :D
User avatar
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum
 
Posts: 262
Joined: 01 May 2008, 15:36

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby the cheese » 09 Mar 2010, 10:39

Seahawks XL Champs wrote:Simmons is obnoxious, and writing things like "Sandy Bullock", "Ben Button", "Fabby Oberto", and making other nicknames up that try to make him seem like an insider is just stupid. I disagree with so much of what he writes.

However, in this case, Olbermann took an unprovoked shot. Bill might have been juvenile is his response about the cats and living alone, but what would you guys have done? Nothing in order to not give KO any more attention, or would you have tried to fight back? I just think SImmons felt he was attacked unnecessarily and went on the offensive and now in this case he realizes (probably with some "help" from his bosses) that enough is enough.

There Angus, another post NOT about Super Bowl 40. :D


I wouldn't call that an unprovoked shot. That column, not to mention the last 18-24 months of Simmons work, was so stupid it slapped intelligent thought right in the face and challenged it to a duel. Olbermann accepted the challenge.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Colonel Angus » 09 Mar 2010, 10:46

Seahawks XL Champs wrote:Simmons is obnoxious, and writing things like "Sandy Bullock", "Ben Button", "Fabby Oberto", and making other nicknames up that try to make him seem like an insider is just stupid. I disagree with so much of what he writes.

However, in this case, Olbermann took an unprovoked shot. Bill might have been juvenile is his response about the cats and living alone, but what would you guys have done? Nothing in order to not give KO any more attention, or would you have tried to fight back? I just think SImmons felt he was attacked unnecessarily and went on the offensive and now in this case he realizes (probably with some "help" from his bosses) that enough is enough.

There Angus, another post NOT about Super Bowl 40. :D


Nice!

In response, were I in Simmons' position, I would have recognized that I couldn't win a war of words with Olbermann and I would have let it drop. And that's not even factoring the rest of the people (Deadspin, Charles Pierce, etc.) who have called him out on his ridiculous position re: Tiger/Ali. Given that climate, I would have admitted that I spoke too hastily and had been enlightened by some of the responses to my opinion that perhaps I wasn't really qualified to opine on the political/racial climate of the late '60s. Simmons' little tantrum of a column was the exact opposite of what I think I would have done. I realize that column was before Olbermann ever got involved (and was in fact what drew Olbermann into the situation to begin with,) but that just makes it worse. Simmons should have realized he screwed up and just gone silent on the whole matter. Allowing himself to get into a Twitter-flaming war with Olbermann is only drawing more attention to his ridiculous original premise, when he should be making every effort to pretend that premise didn't exist in the first place.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby the cheese » 09 Mar 2010, 10:48

Colonel Angus wrote:
Seahawks XL Champs wrote:Simmons is obnoxious, and writing things like "Sandy Bullock", "Ben Button", "Fabby Oberto", and making other nicknames up that try to make him seem like an insider is just stupid. I disagree with so much of what he writes.

However, in this case, Olbermann took an unprovoked shot. Bill might have been juvenile is his response about the cats and living alone, but what would you guys have done? Nothing in order to not give KO any more attention, or would you have tried to fight back? I just think SImmons felt he was attacked unnecessarily and went on the offensive and now in this case he realizes (probably with some "help" from his bosses) that enough is enough.

There Angus, another post NOT about Super Bowl 40. :D


Nice!

In response, were I in Simmons' position, I would have recognized that I couldn't win a war of words with Olbermann and I would have let it drop. And that's not even factoring the rest of the people (Deadspin, Charles Pierce, etc.) who have called him out on his ridiculous position re: Tiger/Ali. Given that climate, I would have admitted that I spoke too hastily and had been enlightened by some of the responses to my opinion that perhaps I wasn't really qualified to opine on the political/racial climate of the late '60s. Simmons' little tantrum of a column was the exact opposite of what I think I would have done. I realize that column was before Olbermann ever got involved (and was in fact what drew Olbermann into the situation to begin with,) but that just makes it worse. Simmons should have realized he screwed up and just gone silent on the whole matter. Allowing himself to get into a Twitter-flaming war with Olbermann is only drawing more attention to his ridiculous original premise, when he should be making every effort to pretend that premise didn't exist in the first place.


GPIA. Whenever I realize I'm a damn moron, I tend to shut the fuck up and hope nobody noticed. This is clearly not Simmons' M.O.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 09 Mar 2010, 11:04

in the grand scheme of things i highly doubt the "outrage" of a handful of angry bloggers, simmons-obsessed message board posters and irrelevant/unpopular "journalists" matter all that much to the WWL. in a couple weeks not many people are still going to care about some random column simpson wrote. sort of like when people here were enraged about his column about the patriots championship dvds being under his pillow....
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
User avatar
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 7758
Joined: 08 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: New Jersey

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby the cheese » 09 Mar 2010, 11:09

Untouchable wrote:in the grand scheme of things i highly doubt the "outrage" of a handful of angry bloggers, simmons-obsessed message board posters and irrelevant/unpopular "journalists" matter all that much to the WWL. in a couple weeks not many people are still going to care about some random column simpson wrote. sort of like when people here were enraged about his column about the patriots championship dvds being under his pillow....


Sean Salisbury, Steve Phillips, Dana Jacobsen, and that one guy from Baseball Tonight disagree about the power of the opinion of Deadspin.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

PreviousNext

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest