Ebony on Ivory: mister bacon reviews white people music

Re: Ebony on Ivory: mister bacon reviews white people music

Postby Dthefritz » 16 Jan 2017, 21:33

mister bacon wrote:everyone who supports this idea that the confederacy was noble in any way shape or form can eat as bushel of black cocks.

On balance, of course it was not noble. Slavery outweighed anything good about it, and it needed to be destroyed.

HOWEVER, looking at the hellish, industrial wasteland that much of America became in the decades following the Civil War, and that parts of the North had already become, it seems not completely crazy that however evil and backwards the Confederacy was, they did not want to be dragged kicking and screaming into a world of child labor, factory towns and sweatshops.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TheWolf » 17 Jan 2017, 00:04

I'm sure slave owners took real issue with child labor and sweat shops.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Goose » 17 Jan 2017, 09:56

TheWolf wrote:I'm sure slave owners took real issue with child labor and sweat shops.

I'm sure it wasn't too hard of a transition. The wages they paid after slavery were probably cheaper than the food, housing and health care they provided to the slaves. The toughest part was probably that they couldn't rape the housekeeper at will anymore.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
OG's sponsor

Postby Dthefritz » 17 Jan 2017, 19:52

TheWolf wrote:I'm sure slave owners took real issue with child labor and sweat shops.

They may have been hypocritical pieces of trash, but they really, really did take issue with all that quite explicitly. It was a stretch to say that the urban poor of the north were worse off than slaves, but were likely worse off than your rank and file 99%-er Confederate who didn't own any slaves and who did most of the fighting and dying. Of course from today's standpoint, we know that labor ultimately became a viable path to the middle class, but it took decades of violent, bloody struggle to get there and could certainly not have been taken for granted at the time.

In the end, the Confederate's critique of industrial capitalism is quite similar to the one liberals make to this very day, and was integral to later Southern support for the New Deal. I think you can acknowledge this while still maintaining the obvious position that slavery needed to be destroyed at all costs. But god forbid we have any nuance about anything.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I look forward to MB's review of Lee Ann Womack. Whoever that is.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby JichaelDick » 18 Jan 2017, 01:14

Dthefritz wrote:

They may have been hypocritical pieces of trash, but they really, really did take issue with all that quite explicitly. It was a stretch to say that the urban poor of the north were worse off than slaves, but were likely worse off than your rank and file 99%-er Confederate who didn't own any slaves and who did most of the fighting and dying. Of course from today's standpoint, we know that labor ultimately became a viable path to the middle class, but it took decades of violent, bloody struggle to get there and could certainly not have been taken for granted at the time.

In the end, the Confederate's critique of industrial capitalism is quite similar to the one liberals make to this very day, and was integral to later Southern support for the New Deal. I think you can acknowledge this while still maintaining the obvious position that slavery needed to be destroyed at all costs. But god forbid we have any nuance about anything.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I look forward to MB's review of Lee Ann Womack. Whoever that is.

Lee Ann Womack has pouty lips, according to my old business law professor at Ole Miss. /shoehorn
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mister bacon » 18 Jan 2017, 08:51

JichaelDick wrote:

this song is one of those songs in that especially annoying genre of fake-inspiring platitude-spewing empowerment anthems that white women love. i listened to this song three times and when i was finished i had the sudden urge to buy a pumpkin spice latte, put on a pair of uggs, and suddenly had a very strong opinion about salads. these types of songs the worst because it's like the audio version of those really lame "inspirational" live, love, laugh picture frames every white mother buys their daughter before they head off to ol' state U for the first time.

there's nothing inspiring at all when you think about what's being said. it doesn't the child to go challenge norms, and defy expectations. it asks the child to dance without providing a soundtrack to do so at all without the assistance of a man. it tells her it wants her to feel small next to the ocean. what kind of empowerment is this? depend on men and feel small. thanks mom. women like this are the reason why trump won. strong women, the ones who did the work and fought to be respected thought that women like this would refuse to vote for someone who bragged about grabbing women's pussies. but they were wrong because there is no sisterhood among white women. they all despise one another and throw each other fake emotional connection using black slang as a means of ridicule.

this is pretty clearly intended to be touching i guess, but it really misses the mark. i feel no emotional connection or resonance with this woman's voice, or the song. the steel guitar is boring as shit. there's nothing interesting in the melody at all, and lee ann womak's voice sounds cold and emotionless for something that's supposed be suffused with meaning and empathy. i heard more emotional range from the woman who reads the announcements at my son's school this morning than in this performance. i can guarantee that this woman is absolutely dreadful in bed. no one who sings with this little emotion would possibly do anything but starfish. i'd make some comment about how she's a butterface and that she's unfortunately passed it along to her offspring but that would be sexist. mister bacon is no sexist. this song is not good, the performance sounds like a rejected wal*mart jingle. yeah she's got DSL but she wouldn't know what to do with the D if it slapped her in the face.

3 'ports out of 10.

2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby TheWolf » 18 Jan 2017, 08:58

I'm no fan of this song, and you're spot on with the fake inspirational shit. But I think what she's going for with "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean" is less "remember that you're small" and more "remember the world is a big place and there's something out there for you."
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby the cheese » 18 Jan 2017, 09:40

Don't lie bake, you already had strong opinions about salads.

#2hunna
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby JT99 » 18 Jan 2017, 09:53

Shifting gears in a major way...

BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby JichaelDick » 18 Jan 2017, 10:09

In fairness, I hate that song with a passion, bake hating it makes me feel better about my tastes.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby babylurch » 18 Jan 2017, 10:48

this song is one of those songs in that especially annoying genre of fake-inspiring platitude-spewing empowerment anthems that white women love. i listened to this song three times and when i was finished i had the sudden urge to buy a pumpkin spice latte, put on a pair of uggs, and suddenly had a very strong opinion about salads. these types of songs the worst because it's like the audio version of those really lame "inspirational" live, love, laugh picture frames every white mother buys their daughter before they head off to ol' state U for the first time.

The song turned you into Tom Brady?
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 18 Jan 2017, 11:08

babylurch wrote:

2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Gregs Kite » 18 Jan 2017, 11:13

babylurch wrote:

Brady doesn't drink caffeine, bro.

Good try, otherwise.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby the cheese » 18 Jan 2017, 11:17

mister bacon wrote:
babylurch wrote:

#2hunna
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby ctz31 » 19 Jan 2017, 09:03

I went to the funeral of a pals sister and her daughter used the lyrics of that tony womack song throughout the eulogy. It was touching.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

PreviousNext

Return to Music