Let's Talk About our Rigs!

Let's Talk About our Rigs!

Postby bosux » 19 Jul 2016, 15:04

Hi, Goose.

I currently own 3 guitars... a shit ass 15 year old Ibanez dreadnought acoustic beater that I got for $200 new

A 1988 Fender Japanese Strat

My newest acquisition is an Alvarez acoustic-electric

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-masterworks-md65ce-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar

my amp is an 80's era solid state KMD with a Celestion speaker

i currently own no effect pedals, and have only taken the electric out of hibernation just this past week for the first time in 15 years or so...re-strung the strat and fired up the amp and it sounds sweet

when gigging with my buddy, we first used a house PA and I used my old crap guitar with a seymour duncan woody pickup...which worked kinda ok in that you could hear my guitar through the PA but it was one dull tone due to the pickup being stuck in the sound-hole and my volume could only be adjusted at the board.

my new acoustic electric has an onboard preamp with volume treble mid and bass controls and a built in tuner...noice...our most recent gig we used my friend's Yamaha PA which is pretty nice...i was plugged directly into the PA, while he used a small fishman amp with a line out to the PA...but I think next time out I'll bring my own amp and we'll just use the PA for vocals...we'll see
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Re: Let's Talk About our Rigs!

Postby the cheese » 19 Jul 2016, 15:20

Can we get a set list for the most recent gig? Video? Recap of the performance?
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Rodney Farva » 19 Jul 2016, 15:53

man, i hate when my pickup gets stuck in the sound-hole

<3 U
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby bosux » 19 Jul 2016, 16:39

the cheese wrote:Can we get a set list for the most recent gig? Video? Recap of the performance?

most recent gig was saturday at a south jersey farm within sight of the turnpike...60th birthday party...got the gig via bartender at the other place we play monthly...we busted some new material out for this gig by request, including birthday by the beatles, sympathy for the devil, after midnight and down by the river by neil young...mixed in one original, one johnny cash, two traditional american folk songs, and some dead ended up being two sets over 3 hours...during set break we let some two young guys who were relatives of the hosts use our PA to do a set of their own which they really appreciated...during the second set it got dark and there was lightning in the area which was pretty intense...all throughout the night they fed us their food and beer and were a very hospitable bunch of people including smoking us out after the gig...they gave us 20% more than the agreed upon sum to play and we got another gig offered by the birthday boy on the 30th for the same rate so score

next gig is sunday at the bar but in the meantime i'm heading into the city wednesday to rehearse with my buddy's electric combo (hence getting the strat out of carbon freeze) so if we gel we'll see about getting some NY gigs with this outfit

tried to get video but cam battery was dead
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby chrisco » 06 Aug 2016, 21:32

I was back home this week. Brought my Fender American Strat and Fender Deluxe 112 amp down from the attic and back to Queens. I was always from the if you can't play well, play loud school. We'll see if my oncoming midlife crisis develops any technique or if I will still suck.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby bosux » 08 Aug 2016, 16:21

chrisco wrote:I was back home this week. Brought my Fender American Strat and Fender Deluxe 112 amp down from the attic and back to Queens. I was always from the if you can't play well, play loud school. We'll see if my oncoming midlife crisis develops any technique or if I will still suck.

if you really want to do the mid life crisis right buy a drum kit
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby chrisco » 08 Aug 2016, 16:33

bosux wrote:
chrisco wrote:I was back home this week. Brought my Fender American Strat and Fender Deluxe 112 amp down from the attic and back to Queens. I was always from the if you can't play well, play loud school. We'll see if my oncoming midlife crisis develops any technique or if I will still suck.

if you really want to do the mid life crisis right buy a drum kit

I've been thinking about it.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Dthefritz » 29 Aug 2016, 21:38

So I got a Fender accoustic for about 200 and a change a few weeks back. Haven't played regularly in about 6/7 years, but I figured it's never too early for a midlife crisis and TIL I went down by the East River and played the guitar by myself wearing sunglasses like a douche.

Anyway, to light a fire under the ass of the actually talented guitarists here, I decided to throw together a quick recording on my wonderful high quality laptop mic, audacity, youtube backing track (B Dorian bruhh - DM me if you wanna do a backing track war) and throw it up here. If you ever are worried you're not fucking your goats gently enough, put this bad boy on (and ignore all the flubbed notes and general shittiness, but goats aren't too picky IIRC).

Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Goose » 31 Aug 2016, 14:34

Timely follow-up by me.

I've got a bunch of guitars, but lately I've mostly been playing this one:

It's a Reverend Double Agent, and I am left handed, so the pic, although taken from online, is accurate.

I also have six amps, but play through this Peavey JS 212 combo most of the time, which has a lot of headroom to play nice, loud clean tones.

I've also got a bunch of pedals, but my favorites are this Z-Vex J Mascis distortion pedal:

this noisy as hell Joe Bonamassa fuzz pedal:

and this Boss Space Echo:

I think Kite made fun of some hipster musical act that plays old blues riffs through a bunch of fuzz, distortion and delay and I thought: hey, that's my shtik.

Anyway, since this stupid thread was my idea I'll try and share more of my gear.

And to echo chrisco's earlier thoughts, the mid-life crisis is in full effect for me when it comes to buying guitar gear.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby chrisco » 31 Aug 2016, 15:02

So how about some pi?

chrisco
Madoff

Postby Goose » 31 Aug 2016, 15:13

I've got this version. A little better high end, but can be switched to sound like the original.

Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Aug 2016, 17:30

Six amps? Good Lord.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » 31 Aug 2016, 18:20

If you're lefty, you should play a righty guitar upside down and backwards like hendrix.

But that is a nice rig. Totes jealz. Space Echo is the fucking tits.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Goose » 01 Sep 2016, 09:58

Gregs Kite wrote:Six amps? Good Lord.

Other than the Peavey they're all manner of small tube practice amps (1-5 amps each). A Marshall 5W, Orange Micro Terror, Pignose 7-100, Epiphone Valve Jr., and a Vox Brian May Special.

If you're lefty, you should play a righty guitar upside down and backwards like hendrix.

But that is a nice rig. Totes jealz. Space Echo is the fucking tits.

If I could play anywhere close to Hendrix maybe I'd try it. But I'm militant in buying only lefty guitars. And I also won't buy any black guitars, because I'm a racist. Not really, it's just that I hate that 90% of all lefty guitars are black. Us leftys have been marginalized in the guitar department.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby bosux » 01 Sep 2016, 11:24

Dthefritz wrote:So I got a Fender accoustic for about 200 and a change a few weeks back. Haven't played regularly in about 6/7 years, but I figured it's never too early for a midlife crisis and TIL I went down by the East River and played the guitar by myself wearing sunglasses like a douche.

Anyway, to light a fire under the ass of the actually talented guitarists here, I decided to throw together a quick recording on my wonderful high quality laptop mic, audacity, youtube backing track (B Dorian bruhh - DM me if you wanna do a backing track war) and throw it up here. If you ever are worried you're not fucking your goats gently enough, put this bad boy on (and ignore all the flubbed notes and general shittiness, but goats aren't too picky IIRC).

thank you for posting, i enjoyed this...just curious: is this just improv fucking around, or is this a specific melody that you have memorized to play over the track
bosux
Dr. Poop

Next

Return to Music