The Brothers of Rock

Re: The Brothers of Rock

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 28 Feb 2012, 19:09

Today's Brothers are TV on the Radio.

Originally formed in 2001 in Brooklyn, NY, the band released their first album, OK Calculator, in 2002. Playing with an indie rock sound influenced by artists as diverse as the Pixies, David Bowie, Prince and Funkadelic, the band has developed a devoted following in both the US and UK.

Their first single to make a splash on the charts was 2006's "Wolf Like Me" off the album Return to Cookie Mountain. That album hit #41 on the US charts, and made a number of "best of the year" lists at the end of '06.

Follow up albums Dear Science (2008) and Nine Types of Light (2011) each hit #12 on the US charts, and continued to increase the band's profile.

Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby chrisco » 28 Feb 2012, 21:25

TV On The Radio is #4 on my list of things that are popular from Brooklyn which I just don't get.

I tried but I think these guys are for critics and people looking for a black band to support now that the Roots are housebroken.

I<3 Living Colour. Those guys were the best.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 29 Feb 2012, 08:44

chrisco wrote:TV On The Radio is #4 on my list of things that are popular from Brooklyn which I just don't get.

I tried but I think these guys are for critics and people looking for a black band to support now that the Roots are housebroken.

I don't think I'd ever heard them before I did that post. I'd heard the name in the past but didn't know they were brothers until this month. The few songs I heard I thought were pretty good. I'll check out a few more.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 29 Feb 2012, 22:31

We'll finish off Brothers of Rock month taking a look at Ike Turner

Born in Clarksdale, Mississippi, Turner had what can only be described as an odd and interesting childhood. Highlights included:

- Watching his father get beaten and left for dead by a pack if wild honkies, then living as an invalid for three years before dying from the injuries (though this account has been disputed)
- Losing his virginity at age 6 to a local woman named "Miss Boozie"
- Getting molested laid by two other women by the time he was 12.
- Getting beat by and beating back his stepfather
- Filling in playing records at the local radio station

Turner began playing music, and with his band The Kings of Rhythm, played a lot of rhythm and blues music. Turner and his band recorded what many consider to be the first rock and roll song, "Rocket 88" in 1951 and Sun Studios in Memphis.

The song was a hit, which of course led to immediate infighting in the band over who deserved the most credit. The band broke up, and Turner started working as a session musician for Sam Phillips at Sun Studios. After a few years of that, Turner moved to St. Louis and reformed the Kings of Rhythm. This is when Turner started developing some of the sweetest control freak tendencies of all time. He made the band move into a big house with him so he could control their lives: making them rehearse, preventing them from drinking or doing drugs, and firing them if they broke his rules. Whatever he did, it worked, and the band started developing a big following in the area.

While performing in St. Louis, Turner met a hot little piece of 18 year old ass named Anna Mae Bullock. Turns out that Bullock could sing, and in no time Ike was fucking her, performing with her, and marrying her. Her stage name was Tina Turner, and they made a number of hits together.

Ike and Tina recorded together until 1976, when they broke up not only as a band but as a couple. Turns out ol' Ike had been beating the fuck out of her on the reg:

Ike Turner wrote:Sure, I've slapped Tina... There have been times when I punched her to the ground without thinking. But I have never beat her

After their breakup, as Tina was going on to even bigger fame in the 80's, Ike went the other way. He was arrested 10 times in the 80's for various drug and firearm offenses, and convicted twice. He was found with a roomful of cocaine and a live hand grenade in 1980, shot a paperboy in 1981, and got caught selling drugs more often than JichaelDick gets caught masturbating by his roommates.

His song "I'm Blue (The Gong Gong Song)" was sampled by Salt N Pepa in 1993, and earned Ike a lot of money. It also got some people thinking about his music again.

In the late 90's, he reformed the Kings of Rhythm and started touring with them again. They got rave reviews for their performances, and were nominated for a Grammy in 2001. Of course, his health failed shortly thereafter, and Turner died in 2007, leaving behind anywhere from 5 to 13 ex-wives (the numbers are disputed) and six known children. Despite suffering from emphysema and cardiovascular disease, he died from.... a cocaine overdose. TRU Playa. :sniff:
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby chrisco » 29 Feb 2012, 22:48

Good work Bix.

Here is an omitted brother of rock (albeit an obscure folkie) named Ted Hawkins singing about a green eyed girl.

BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby bosux » 01 Mar 2012, 09:51

this has been one of the best features on sotsg for a long, long time.....howevahhhh.......

i have to take off points for your omission of jackson heights own mister randayyy watson and his band, 'sexual chocolate'...they play so fine, don't you agree?

i've always wondered if that was vernon reid on the guitar
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 01 Mar 2012, 10:08

While Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate are top notch performers (loved him as Joe the Policeman in the "What's Goin' Down" episode of That's My Mama), I don't know that their music qualifies as rock.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 01 Mar 2012, 14:21

Can I get a "Rock" ruling on this one? I feel like it's a rock song. But I think I'm wrong.

Big-tittied hit, though.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 01 Mar 2012, 15:05

I lean towards classifying it as Soul.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Brick Tamland » 01 Mar 2012, 15:10

A radio show I listened to growing up was called "Rock & Roll Roots" and they played Wilson Pickett and other stuff of the genre... seems like the blues and soul stuff that had a good beat to it can get lumped in with early rock n roll. If Elvis is rock n roll, James Brown is rock n roll.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby nova » 01 Mar 2012, 15:23

Brick Tamland wrote:A radio show I listened to growing up was called "Rock & Roll Roots" and they played Wilson Pickett and other stuff of the genre... seems like the blues and soul stuff that had a good beat to it can get lumped in with early rock n roll. If Elvis is rock n roll, James Brown is rock n roll.

False. One of the rules of rock and roll is that you have to be white. /farva
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Rodney Farva » 02 Mar 2012, 10:36

i wouldn't characterize all of them as rock musicians (eat my choad, nover), but kudos to bix for a tremendous job doing this.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Colonel Angus » 27 Jun 2012, 22:08

"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby bosux » 20 Mar 2014, 13:04

jimi backing wilson pickett in 1966

by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Colonel Angus » 16 Oct 2014, 16:29

This vid was referenced in the Jameis Winston piece on Grantland today. Pretty good stuff:

The story behind this performance: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... en-minutes
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

PreviousNext

Return to Music