Music Top 5s

Re: Music Top 5s

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 Aug 2017, 20:29

The best version of Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) is the one he did with Devo for his piece of crap movie he made.

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Gregs Kite » 30 Aug 2017, 21:13

People of the Sun is the best Rage riff.

Bulls on Parade isn't bludgeoning power chords, it's essentially two notes over and over again, followed by a wah riff.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby the cheese » 30 Aug 2017, 21:46

Gregs Kite wrote:People of the Sun is the best Rage riff.

Bulls on Parade isn't bludgeoning power chords, it's essentially two notes over and over again, followed by a wah riff.

When you're right, you're right.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 31 Aug 2017, 09:00

thanks to ol' billy boy fire balls pitching them and having them as the transition music on one of his Thursday podcasts, this song's been stuck in the noggin

mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Aug 2017, 09:08

Great Rage calls.

Dthefritz wrote:First of all, just going by the opening riff, I am literally mystified by All Along the Watchtower over...shit...anything else by Jimi Hendrix. Not just the ones mentioned in HM, but Foxy Lady, Crosstown Traffic, Manic Depression, anything.

Tough but fair. AATW was the first song I heard that made me go "Oh, this is music? I can listen to this." I have an irrational affection for that song.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Gregs Kite » 07 Sep 2017, 08:41

cheese, assignment, top 5 Arcade Fire opening riffs. Thank you.

Love, Gregs.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby the cheese » 07 Sep 2017, 09:21

Gregs Kite wrote:cheese, assignment, top 5 Arcade Fire opening riffs. Thank you.

Love, Gregs.

I will get to this...when I get to it.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby nova » 07 Sep 2017, 11:57

from that 2pac thread, chrisco wrote:2. Please provide the %s about why no one has this conversation on the production side:

A. Because Dre is so far beyond anyone else.
B. Because there's no words therefore no drama.

3. As an indulgence, who is 2,3,4,5 on the production list and how big is the gap between 1 and 2?

2.The Neptunes
The gap between Dr. Dre and the Neptunes isn't as big as you would think. While Dr. Dre owned the 90s and the very early 2000s, the Neptunes have been going along during that same time AND kept cranking out hits. From a production standpoint, I don't know if there's anything they can't do. I'd argue that The Clipse have had two classics (Lord Willin and Hell Hath No Fury) 90% based on Neptunes. There was a period of time where mumblemouth ass Noreaga had an automatic smash hit.

3.The RZA.
A lot of people will sleep on him since the Wu-Tang Clan has been dormant for years, but his influence over the game can't be overstated. There's a reason why he's scoring films and it''s because his production had a cinematic feel, if not self-indulgent. His intro track to Kanye's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" was the perfect start for that album.

4. Mannie Fresh
Effectively the first producer in the South to take them commercial. Let's call a spade a spade here - Juvenile, BG and Turk were not out of this world wordsmiths, but you listened to songs like Bling Bling and We on Fire because of the crazy beats. Also gets a permanent spot in the Negro Hall of Fame for creating Back Dat Azz Up. Seriously.

The fifth spot is going to be hard to choose. J Dilla, Pete Rock, Rick Rubin, Q-Tip, Havoc, Kanye, Metro Boomin, Dilated Peoples, Just Blaze, DJ Paul (Academy Award winner, at that), Timbaland, Scott Storch (not really, but he had a crazy run of hits), Organized Noize, Lil Jon, Mike Will Made It, Zaytoven, Eardrummers, et al. could make a case for the fift spot, but I can't find the argument to supplant those top four.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby chrisco » 07 Sep 2017, 14:01

Thanks Norv. Time to listen to Hell Hath No Fury again.

BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby nova » 26 Sep 2017, 09:38

the cheese - Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 am: norv: assignment, top five hip hop acts white people pretend to like.

HM: Dead Prez, Mobb Deep, A Tribe Called Quest

5. Beastie Boys
I feel like you people have to pretend to like the Beastie Boys the same way that black people have to pretend that Omar Little wasn't gay in The Wire. They make fun music, but that shit's getting old. Of course, you have douches like Supreme Patty kind living that life right now, but the halcyon days of the 80s don't really equate to Donald Trump's America. Not to mention, the Beasties are old as fuck.

4. Tupac
I remember being told of Tupac's death by two white boys at a football game. I gave them this face :| as they went on about how Tupac was such an influence to them and how his music is going to live on forever as art. Yawn. Whatever. Don't care. He was a decent actor, better rapper, and the poster child for dead rappers getting better promotion.

3. Wu-Tang Clan
One of my automatic dismissal points is when I ask people they're favorite rapper in Wu-Tang. If they say "Method Man", I"m suspicious. If they say Redman, they need to get the fuck out of my face immediately.

2. J.Cole
1. Kendrick Lamar

I'm lumping these two together because they're mentioned in the same breath a lot. Yes, they're two emcees who have a higher signal to noise ratio than others currently out in the business. Yes, they're extremely talented...but seriously? To Pimp a Butterfly was a fantastic album. Won't listen to it again. It's like watching Roots for a second time; it's so fucking taxing and draining, I wouldn't want to subject myself to it again. Ditto for Cole's new album. Masterfully done, but it's so intense, it's not entertaining. It's okay to have fun some times, guys. Being a revolutionary isn't a full time job. Go drink some champagne. Fuck a thick white girl, and say things like "do it for the culture".
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby the cheese » 26 Sep 2017, 09:41

Norv has called me out for Dead Prez before. GLO.

Also, the correct answer to the Wu Tang question is Ghostface.
the cheese
The Douche

Postby nova » 26 Sep 2017, 09:44

the cheese wrote:Norv has called me out for Dead Prez before. GLO.

I forgot Black Star. Last night, My Buddy Russ played "Definition" during our softball games because he "thought I'd like to hear it". He wasn't wrong, of course, but I would much rather see something that would make the girls on our team start shaking their asses.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby the cheese » 26 Sep 2017, 09:46

nova wrote:

I forgot Black Star. Last night, My Buddy Russ played "Definition" during our softball games because he "thought I'd like to hear it". He wasn't wrong, of course, but I would much rather see something that would make the girls on our team start shaking their asses.

Ah, so Happy by Pharrell.
the cheese
The Douche

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 26 Sep 2017, 09:49

My Wu rappers would be Ghostface or ODB - how much of a sideeye would I get?

I think you're right about ATCQ, we don't actually like them. I would also submit Common. We think we're supposed to like him, but nobody really likes Common.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby nova » 26 Sep 2017, 09:52

the cheese wrote:
nova wrote:

Ah, so Happy by Pharrell.

No, like "Dance (A$$)" by Big Sean or "Back Dat Azz Up" by Juvenile.

MisterTambourineMan wrote:My Wu rappers would be Ghostface or ODB - how much of a sideeye would I get?

I think you're right about ATCQ, we don't actually like them. I would also submit Common. We think we're supposed to like him, but nobody really likes Common.

The correct answers, in my opinion, are Ghostface, Raekwon, or ODB. GZA can be entertained, but that's it.

You're spot on about Common. He makes good music, but he can be exhausting.
nova
Thrifty Negro

PreviousNext

Return to Music