Music Top 5s

Re: Music Top 5s

Postby CourtesyFlush » 29 Aug 2017, 09:22

Damn...I mean, that's a damn fine list right there. It's hard to quibble with any of those being in the top 5.

I'd put Highway to Hell as an HM as well.

Day Tripper gets an HM nod for me too.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Gregs Kite » 29 Aug 2017, 09:26

Underrated as eff:

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 29 Aug 2017, 09:28

CourtesyFlush wrote:Damn...I mean, that's a damn fine list right there. It's hard to quibble with any of those being in the top 5.

You could make a top 5 opening riff for either AC/DC, Hendrix, Clapton, Stones, Beatles, GnR, or Zeppelin that could double as the all-time top 5.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby CourtesyFlush » 29 Aug 2017, 09:30

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:Damn...I mean, that's a damn fine list right there. It's hard to quibble with any of those being in the top 5.

You could make a top 5 opening riff for either AC/DC, Hendrix, Clapton, Stones, Beatles, GnR, or Zeppelin that could double as the all-time top 5.

Solid take
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 29 Aug 2017, 09:59

Rubby, top 5 AC/DC opening riffs, GO!
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 30 Aug 2017, 10:39

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Rubby, top 5 AC/DC opening riffs, GO!

bump
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby CourtesyFlush » 30 Aug 2017, 11:39

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Rubby, top 5 AC/DC opening riffs, GO!

bump

Sorry!

I don't have access to the youtubes at work but here is a quick off the cuff ranking:

HM: Live Wire, It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock n' Roll), Let There Be Rock, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Down Payment Blues

5. Thunderstruck - just builds and builds and builds--there's a reason it's used for football kickoffs so much
4. Back in Black - Malcolm Young gets things started here
3. Hells Bells - perfect opening to the Back in Black album and the Brian Johnson (not that one--the other one) era
2. Highway to Hell - best intro of the Bon Scott portion of their catalogue
1. You Shook Me All Night Long - sure, it's played out like Stairway to Heaven but once you hear those first chords you know what's coming

Craig, give us a top 5 GNR opening riffs

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Gregs Kite » 30 Aug 2017, 12:12

CourtesyFlush wrote:
Craig, give us a top 5 GNR opening riffs

With pleasure!

HM: Right Next Door to Hell

5. Sweet Child O' Mine

Cheesier than Johnnyboy all by himself in the #LAGBox, but not nearly as depressing.

4. Chinese Democracy

Song kinda sucks. The album really sucks, but the riff is blazing.

3. Coma

Haunting. Powerful.

2. You Could Be Mine

Yeah, it starts with drums and it's a bass riff, so what. It's my list.

1. Welcome to the Jungle

The GOAT

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » 30 Aug 2017, 18:29

First of all, just going by the opening riff, I am literally mystified by All Along the Watchtower over...shit...anything else by Jimi Hendrix. Not just the ones mentioned in HM, but Foxy Lady, Crosstown Traffic, Manic Depression, anything.

Did not know that people ranked You Shook Me All Night Long that highly among AC/DC riffs. Not that it's bad or I'd protest the selection, but wouldn't have come to mind as even a top 5 for me.

Anyway, here's my twist: Top 5 opening riffs from bands and/or songs you generally don't care for.

5: Sum 41 - Fat Lip. Shit song, shit band, but goddamn if that isn't a catchy memorable/intro.
4: Ozzy Osbourne - Miracle Man. Lotta Ozzy candidates here. That 80's overstuffed production is just cringey, and he phones it a lot of songs while letting the guitar carry it. This is my choice. Just an insanely fun manic lead-in to a big nothing.
3: Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' Bout Love - Fantastic riff. Never cared for the song.
2: Everlast - What it's like. Annoyingly affected singing style, and the song is beating you over the head preachy. Riff almost makes up for it. Almost.
1: Everything by Zakk Wylde. Voice - dogshit. Lyrics - laughably retarded. Solos - Self-indulgent as shit. Overall - completely lacking in any soul, musicality or human emotion. Kick-ass opening riffs, though? Those he can do.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 30 Aug 2017, 18:42

With AC/DC 10 people could have 10 completely different top 5s and they'd all be right, I mean, no mention of Have a Drink on Me? But I appreciate Rubby's list. Shook me all night long might suffer in people's eyes a little from overuse in pop culture but that doesn't make the riff any less awesome, (see: Welcome to the Jungle; Voodoo Chile)
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby chrisco » 30 Aug 2017, 18:54

Speaking of Zachs, how about RATM? We can all find reasons to crack haterade, but they opened songs strong. Bulls on Parade probably their best contribution.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Dthefritz » 30 Aug 2017, 18:57

chrisco wrote:Speaking of Zachs, how about RATM? We can all find reasons to crack haterade, but they opened songs strong. Bulls on Parade probably their best contribution.

I will do a quick top 5

5 - Wake Up
4 - Testify
3 - Killing in the Name
2 - Down Rodeo
1 - Sleep Now in the Fire
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby nerf66 » 30 Aug 2017, 19:07

Top 5 riffs and this isn't even an HM?

BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby chrisco » 30 Aug 2017, 19:37

Dthefritz wrote:
chrisco wrote:Speaking of Zachs, how about RATM? We can all find reasons to crack haterade, but they opened songs strong. Bulls on Parade probably their best contribution.

I will do a quick top 5

5 - Wake Up
4 - Testify
3 - Killing in the Name
2 - Down Rodeo

I'm sticking with Bulls on Parade. The knock on it is that is not as much of a riff as a bludgeoning of power chords, but I'm partial.

Wake Up is Rage as Led Zep doing Kashmir.
Testify is sonically nice, but not much of a riff.
Killing is a good one, but I think the bass carries the opening more.
Down Rodeo is Rage as Alice which I <3.
Sleep Now is deserving.

I just did a quick peep on Neil Young, Crazy Horse edition, and expected more than Like a Hurricane and Hey Hey, My My (into the black). A lot of their hard stuff just opens with chords (Sedan Delivery, Rockin In the Free World) or starts slow and then cranks up later (Cortez the Killer, Powderfinger).

That being said, I would enter Hey, Hey, My, My (into the black) into the tournament:

You know if this was pre-HOF 99, we'd have a tournament underway already.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Dthefritz » 30 Aug 2017, 19:57

chrisco wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

I will do a quick top 5

5 - Wake Up
4 - Testify
3 - Killing in the Name
2 - Down Rodeo

I'm sticking with Bulls on Parade. The knock on it is that is not as much of a riff as a bludgeoning of power chords, but I'm partial.

Wake Up is Rage as Led Zep doing Kashmir.
Testify is sonically nice, but not much of a riff.
Killing is a good one, but I think the bass carries the opening more.
Down Rodeo is Rage as Alice which I <3.
Sleep Now is deserving.

I just did a quick peep on Neil Young, Crazy Horse edition, and expected more than Like a Hurricane and Hey Hey, My My (into the black). A lot of their hard stuff just opens with chords (Sedan Delivery, Rockin In the Free World) or starts slow and then cranks up later (Cortez the Killer, Powderfinger).

That being said, I would enter Hey, Hey, My, My (into the black) into the tournament:

You know if this was pre-HOF 99, we'd have a tournament underway already.

The best Neil Young riff of that era is Cinnamon Girl. No one denies this.

If we're expanding the eras, Ohio is his best.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

PreviousNext

Return to Music