Bands BD, Untouchable, and The Wolf Have Never Heard Of

Re: Bands BD, Untouchable, and The Wolf Have Never Heard Of

Postby the cheese » 02 Apr 2015, 13:39

Last edited by the cheese on 09 Apr 2015, 11:00, edited 3 times in total.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby TheWolf » 02 Apr 2015, 15:11

Tokyo Police Club: Genuinely enjoyed all 3 songs. There's a chance I might actively seek out more of their music. It's a small chance, because I rarely seek out any music, period. But they most definitely do not suck.

J. Roddy Walston & The Business: You're 2-for-2, my friend. Would most definitely listen to more.

Delta Spirit: Enjoyable enough, but a step down from the first 2 bands.

The 1975: I don't know. I didn't hate it, so you were correct with that prediction. But it didn't quite do it for me. Can't put my finger on why. I'd be willing to hear a couple more songs before giving an official verdict.

The Vaccines: I think I might have liked it if I wasn't watching the video. There's just something about the way that dude looks that makes me want to punch him. The song istelf seemed listenable, and I like something I can knock out in 98 seconds. Would be willing to listen to more, but will not go out of my way to do so.

The Weeks: meh. Didn't hate it. Seems like it might be fine as background music, but sort of forgettable.

Bleachers: I think I've heard that song before. Any chance it's on a show/movie/commercial/something that I'd recognize it from? Anyway... I liked it.

If forced to rank these bands based solely on the songs provided, I think I'd go: Tokyo Police Club, J. Whatshisface, Bleachers, Delta Spirit, Vaccines, 1975, Weeks
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby the cheese » 02 Apr 2015, 15:23

TheWolf wrote:Tokyo Police Club: Genuinely enjoyed all 3 songs. There's a chance I might actively seek out more of their music. It's a small chance, because I rarely seek out any music, period. But they most definitely do not suck.

J. Roddy Walston & The Business: You're 2-for-2, my friend. Would most definitely listen to more.

Delta Spirit: Enjoyable enough, but a step down from the first 2 bands.

The 1975: I don't know. I didn't hate it, so you were correct with that prediction. But it didn't quite do it for me. Can't put my finger on why. I'd be willing to hear a couple more songs before giving an official verdict.

The Vaccines: I think I might have liked it if I wasn't watching the video. There's just something about the way that dude looks that makes me want to punch him. The song istelf seemed listenable, and I like something I can knock out in 98 seconds. Would be willing to listen to more, but will not go out of my way to do so.

The Weeks: meh. Didn't hate it. Seems like it might be fine as background music, but sort of forgettable.

Bleachers: I think I've heard that song before. Any chance it's on a show/movie/commercial/something that I'd recognize it from? Anyway... I liked it.

If forced to rank these bands based solely on the songs provided, I think I'd go: Tokyo Police Club, J. Whatshisface, Bleachers, Delta Spirit, Vaccines, 1975, Weeks

Fun fact: Bleachers is Lena Dunham's boyfriend.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby JT99 » 02 Apr 2015, 15:34

the cheese wrote:Fun fact: Bleachers is Lena Dunham's boyfriend.

Is it safe to assume that all his songs are about misery, then?
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby the cheese » 02 Apr 2015, 15:54

Wolf - peep Gaslight Anthem. They sound like Springsteen with modern sound. Lyrics aren't as good doe. I'd wager one American dollar that you like them very much.

the cheese
The Douche

Postby SDGuy » 02 Apr 2015, 16:37

JT99 wrote:

He's also in fun. and rolling in money.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Postby TheWolf » 02 Apr 2015, 17:04

SDGuy wrote:
JT99 wrote:

The guy's name is Bleachers? I now dislike his music on general principle.

ETA: Gaslight Anthem... Not bad, but nothing special. I fail to see the Springsteen comparison. Related: I don't 'get' the Springsteen love. Most of his songs are fine, but I never really understood why so many people think he's like an all-time great or whatever.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby the cheese » 02 Apr 2015, 17:32

TheWolf wrote:
SDGuy wrote:
JT99 wrote:

ETA: Gaslight Anthem... Not bad, but nothing special. I fail to see the Springsteen comparison. Related: I don't 'get' the Springsteen love. Most of his songs are fine, but I never really understood why so many people think he's like an all-time great or whatever.

No, his name is Jack Antonoff. His band is called Bleachers.
the cheese
The Douche

Postby mj3528 » 02 Apr 2015, 17:44

the cheese wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
SDGuy wrote:
JT99 wrote:

No, his name is Jack Antonoff. His band is called Bleachers.

I haven't heard enough of Gaslight Anthem to agree or disagree with the Springsteen comparison, but I have heard it made before.

The Killers album, Sam's Town?, is supposed to be a tribute to the Born to Run album. I don't really see that.

and wolf, we agree on so many things, so it pains me to see your "negative" thoughts on Springsteen. You like bro country so I will just chalk it up to that.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby TheWolf » 02 Apr 2015, 19:31

It's not that I don't like Springsteen. I've been known to enjoy my enjoyment of his catalog on many occasions. But he just never really stood out to me as appreciably better than other artists in his genre.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby BigJohnStudd » 02 Apr 2015, 20:00

SDGuy wrote:
JT99 wrote:

He's also in fun. and Lena after rolling in money her in flour.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 04 Apr 2015, 05:30

TheWolf wrote:It's not that I don't like Springsteen. I've been known to enjoy my enjoyment of his catalog on many occasions. But he just never really stood out to me as appreciably better than other artists in his genre.

Just some old dude who sings songs about that make middle class white people think that they're blue collar workers, sticking it to The Man.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby chrisco » 04 Apr 2015, 06:23

I am positive that bd, wolf, and untouchable have heard of Bruce. /Gil
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Theny » 04 Apr 2015, 08:51

I actually agree with wolf, the Boss is overrated.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby nerf66 » 07 Apr 2015, 22:10

the cheese wrote:Wolf - peep Gaslight Anthem. They sound like Springsteen with modern sound. Lyrics aren't as good doe. I'd wager one American dollar that you like them very much.

Springsteen? Wat? That's Fallout Boy.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

PreviousNext

Return to Music