Music Mid Majors

Re: Music Mid Majors

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 23 Apr 2008, 09:57

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Bloodhound Gang. Discovery Channel is a great tune. And they have a few more good ones.

I'm going to say D-II or D-III for them.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby chrisco » 23 Apr 2008, 10:26

Brick Tamland wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:I submit Cake. I don't think I'd ever think of them when listing favorite bands, but I think I have 4 of their albums and would get more if I ever thought to. Just solid work from each set.

GPIA, i love Cake.. but they are by no means a major. definitely a mid major.

Thirded. Although their recent cover of "War Pigs" was terrible.

Fourthed. The best part of them is that their singles never, ever get old.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Fletch » 23 Apr 2008, 10:33

chrisco wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:I submit Cake. I don't think I'd ever think of them when listing favorite bands, but I think I have 4 of their albums and would get more if I ever thought to. Just solid work from each set.

GPIA, i love Cake.. but they are by no means a major. definitely a mid major.

Thirded. Although their recent cover of "War Pigs" was terrible.

Fourthed. The best part of them is that their singles never, ever get old.

Well, The Distance kinda did...

My favorite Cake songs, in no order:

Frank Sinatra
I Will Survive
Sheep Go To Heaven
Hem of Your Garment
Love You Madly
Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle

ETA: forgot Comfort Eagle (the song, not the album). Listening to the album now - love this song.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby mister bacon » 23 Apr 2008, 22:09

Did i already mention Faith No More? they are the quentisential Mid Major IMO.

a handful of hits, very influential.. but never terrible popular amongst the masses.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby someguysomewhere » 23 Apr 2008, 22:38

mister bacon wrote:Did i already mention Faith No More? they are the quentisential Mid Major IMO.

a handful of hits, very influential.. but never terrible popular amongst the masses.

They absolutely kick ass. There's no question about it. Epic, Easy, We Care a Lot, Falling to Pieces. Lots of great tunes.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby mister bacon » 23 Apr 2008, 23:04

someguysomewhere wrote:
mister bacon wrote:Did i already mention Faith No More? they are the quentisential Mid Major IMO.

They absolutely kick ass. There's no question about it. Epic, Easy, We Care a Lot, Falling to Pieces. Lots of great tunes.

they are one of my favorite bands of all time.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 24 Apr 2008, 03:59

I think we need to figure out some criteria for what qualifies as a mid major. Maybe they need to have had at least a gold album, but no platinum albums? Or maybe double platinum? Some of the bands mentioned here have been, in my mind at least, pretty big. If you've had an album sell more than a million or two albums, i'd say you're major, not just mid major.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby CourtesyFlush » 24 Apr 2008, 07:19

Clayton Bigsby wrote:I think we need to figure out some criteria for what qualifies as a mid major. Maybe they need to have had at least a gold album, but no platinum albums? Or maybe double platinum? Some of the bands mentioned here have been, in my mind at least, pretty big. If you've had an album sell more than a million or two albums, i'd say you're major, not just mid major.

I was actually thinking we probably need to establish the 'majors' and work backwards from that criteria. I think most of us would agree that the Beatles, Stones, Zep, Who, Elvis, Dylan[/MTM], the Boss, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, etc all qualify as majors. But what are some others? Is A Tribe Called Quest a major? I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about what qualifies as a major (all music genres included).
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby nova » 24 Apr 2008, 09:23

CourtesyFlush wrote:
Clayton Bigsby wrote:I think we need to figure out some criteria for what qualifies as a mid major. Maybe they need to have had at least a gold album, but no platinum albums? Or maybe double platinum? Some of the bands mentioned here have been, in my mind at least, pretty big. If you've had an album sell more than a million or two albums, i'd say you're major, not just mid major.

I was actually thinking we probably need to establish the 'majors' and work backwards from that criteria. I think most of us would agree that the Beatles, Stones, Zep, Who, Elvis, Dylan[/MTM], the Boss, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, etc all qualify as majors. But what are some others? Is A Tribe Called Quest a major? I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about what qualifies as a major (all music genres included).

I think a venue test is a good measure of how "major" an artist/performer is perceived by the masses. For instance, Wu-Tang is one of the all-time great hip-hop acts in terms of product and longevity, but they're performing at Love nightclub this weekend. Not very major. Conversely, Jay-Z is coming to town, and that nigga sold out the Verizon Center.

Does this make Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus and Bow Wow major? Sadly, it does; but at the same time, a shit ton of people watch Maryland stink up the joint in basketball every year and they're still considered "major".
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby mister bacon » 24 Apr 2008, 09:26

nasty nova wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:

I think a venue test is a good measure of how "major" an artist/performer is perceived by the masses. For instance, Wu-Tang is one of the all-time great hip-hop acts in terms of product and longevity, but they're performing at Love nightclub this weekend. Not very major. Conversely, Jay-Z is coming to town, and that nigga sold out the Verizon Center.

Does this make Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus and Bow Wow major? Sadly, it does; but at the same time, a shit ton of people watch Maryland stink up the joint in basketball every year and they're still considered "major".

this method of measurement is seriously flawed. at one point in Wu Tang's careers they were selling out major arenas.. their time is in the past now. and very few hip hop acts ever sell out major arenas.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 24 Apr 2008, 09:30

I actually saw Jay Z in concert maybe 4 or 5 years ago in Philly at a place that holds like 3000 people or less. Pre Black album, post Blueprint. I was shocked that he was playing there. BTW, i thought I was gonna be stabbed and killed the entire time. Im not kidding.

Anyway, is Jay playing with anyone else at Verizon? Im surprised a hip hop act could sell out an arena like that.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby nova » 24 Apr 2008, 09:32

mister bacon wrote:
nasty nova wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:

this method of measurement is seriously flawed. at one point in Wu Tang's careers they were selling out major arenas.. their time is in the past now. and very few hip hop acts ever sell out major arenas.

...and this is why there would be very few hip-hop acts to be considered "major" against all other genres of music. Outside of a few select acts, there aren't many hip-hop groups or artists who can approach Beatles/Elvis/Rolling Stones numbers in sales. Hip-hop is still young, bacon.

Balls wrote:Anyway, is Jay playing with anyone else at Verizon? Im surprised a hip hop act could sell out an arena like that.

There are other artists there, but he's the headliner and the only "act". Your surprise is surprising. The DC area has an affluent black middle-class who would happily pay that kind of money to see Jay-Z live.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby mister bacon » 24 Apr 2008, 09:37

i still disagree with this method of reasoning, i think album sales is a much better measure than concert receipts.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I actually saw Jay Z in concert maybe 4 or 5 years ago in Philly at a place that holds like 3000 people or less. Pre Black album, post Blueprint. I was shocked that he was playing there. BTW, i thought I was gonna be stabbed and killed the entire time. Im not kidding.

Anyway, is Jay playing with anyone else at Verizon? Im surprised a hip hop act could sell out an arena like that.

theres a reason they LiveNation gave him a $150million dolla contract.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby nova » 24 Apr 2008, 09:38

mister bacon wrote:i still disagree with this method of reasoning, i think album sales is a much better measure than concert receipts.

What would you consider to be the threshold? Triple-platinum? Five-times platinum?
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby CourtesyFlush » 24 Apr 2008, 09:43

mister bacon wrote:i still disagree with this method of reasoning, i think album sales is a much better measure than concert receipts.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I actually saw Jay Z in concert maybe 4 or 5 years ago in Philly at a place that holds like 3000 people or less. Pre Black album, post Blueprint. I was shocked that he was playing there. BTW, i thought I was gonna be stabbed and killed the entire time. Im not kidding.

theres a reason they LiveNation gave him a $150million dolla contract.

I think your criteria has to include several different measures such as album/cd sales, longevity, R&R or other HOF induction/status, venues performed, influence, etc. There's no way Miley Cyrus, Bow Wow, or any other 'fad' groups/acts measure up in all those categories. You also have to ask the question...in 20 years will this act be remembered? Someone like the Beastie Boys would be, but someone like Nelly or Keith Urban may not.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

PreviousNext

Return to Music