Music Mid Majors

Music Mid Majors

Postby chrisco » 04 Apr 2008, 08:19

I was rocking out to Midnight Oil last night and I realized that I probably liked these guy a lot more than 99% of people on earth. While I think they were a great band, by any objective standards they probably were not. I just liked them a lot, same for Teenage Fanclub, the Dandy Warhols, and Living Colour.

Anyway I am curious to hear what bands you guys thought were the absolute shit when everyone else probably thought they had a couple of good songs and left it at that.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Re: Music Mid Majors

Postby WampaOne » 04 Apr 2008, 10:04

chrisco wrote:I was rocking out to Midnight Oil last night and I realized that I probably liked these guy a lot more than 99% of people on earth. While I think they were a great band, by any objective standards they probably were not. I just liked them a lot, same for Teenage Fanclub, the Dandy Warhols, and Living Colour.

Anyway I am curious to hear what bands you guys thought were the absolute shit when everyone else probably thought they had a couple of good songs and left it at that.

Great idea Crisco, - Midnight Oil kick ass btw, I love a bunch of songs by them. I think they are a staple band for this thread, everyone knows and likes a couple of their songs, but can´t even name albums, never heard any other songs, etc. Not sure what do you mean by "everyone else", this world is filled with different people who like/worship everything that exists, up the the most obscure things.

First one I will mention here is Spandau Ballet, notoriously famous for the True ballad, but us 80´s music buffs (not a short crowd in Brazil) realize that there is so much more to them. Gold, To Cut a Long Story Short, Lifeline, Only When You Leave, and some other UK hits are all amazing songs, but so are are regular album cuts like Snakes and Lovers, The Freeze, She Loved Like Diamond, How Many Lies?, Big Feeling and A Matter of Time. Great vocals, amazing and versatile musicians, which produced a very compentent british 80´s new wave music, with a touch of jazz, and a lot of class.
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby Colonel Angus » 04 Apr 2008, 10:23

A band I was shocked didn't hit in the mainstream was Possum Dixon, although they can't really be considered a "mid-major" (more like a D-III school...) Their first album was awesome.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby someguysomewhere » 04 Apr 2008, 10:26

chrisco wrote:I was rocking out to Midnight Oil last night and I realized that I probably liked these guy a lot more than 99% of people on earth. While I think they were a great band, by any objective standards they probably were not. I just liked them a lot, same for Teenage Fanclub, the Dandy Warhols, and Living Colour.

The Oils are bloody legendary. (I spend way too much time hanging out with Aussies). Seriously though, Diesel and Dust and Blue Sky Mining are great albums. They also have one of the best reasons ever for breaking up - the lead singer is The Australian Environment Minister now.

I'm still pissed about missing a huge outdoor concert they did with the Tragically Hip back in '93.

Speaking of the Hip, they don't quite fit in this context (as I'm sure most of you Americans don't know any of their songs) but they were absolutely huge in Canada through the early to mid 90's. Their first three full length albums Up to Here, Road Apples, and Fully Completely are classics. Their sound is pretty classic, straight-ahead Southern-tinged rock, but their lead singer, Gord Downie, is a mad lyrical genius and frontman.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby chrisco » 04 Apr 2008, 11:31

I remember when I saw Midnight Oil, the roadie set the main mic up so it was about a foot and a half over his head. I was sure he had fucked up, but it was at the right height. Peter Garret is a giant.

They kicked ass live, it was a tight and rocking show.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby babylurch » 04 Apr 2008, 13:03

The Alarm. I suspect that most folks here are too young to remember, but they were a college radio staple in the 80's. They also put on a hell of a show. There are a couple of videos on Youtube. I'd recommend 68 Guns, The Stand and Blaze of Glory.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 04 Apr 2008, 13:05

Good call on The Alarm.

I think The Fixx would probably count as mid-major, too. I always enjoyed them.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Colonel Angus » 04 Apr 2008, 13:44

babylurch wrote:The Alarm. I suspect that most folks here are too young to remember, but they were a college radio staple in the 80's. They also put on a hell of a show. There are a couple of videos on Youtube. I'd recommend 68 Guns, The Stand and Blaze of Glory.

I don't get it with the Alarm. They are on 120 Minutes on VH1 Classic every week (usually "Spirit of '76") and I don't see how they were considered "alternative." It seems like regular 80's radio rock to me.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby babylurch » 04 Apr 2008, 13:49

I don't think that they were "alternative". They were just another band like U2, REM, Big Country, Midnight Oil or Springsteen. Some of them made it to the big leagues, some stayed as mid-majors...
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby Brick Tamland » 04 Apr 2008, 15:45

Colonel Angus wrote:A band I was shocked didn't hit in the mainstream was Possum Dixon, although they can't really be considered a "mid-major" (more like a D-III school...) Their first album was awesome.

God, I played the crap out of that album in college... "Watch That Girl Destroy Me" was a great tune... bunch of others on that cd. They released another one like 5 years ago that had a really good song on it ("Lenny's Song" if I'm not mistaken) that got a little airplay but never broke through.

As far as the Alarm goes, before Alternative was Alternative it was Modern Rock, and the Alarm were for some reason embraced by that format, along with the Cure, Depeche Mode, U2 and the rest of the usual suspects... pretty much any band with a British/Aussie/Irish accent fit the bill.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby Tremendous_sidePotential » 04 Apr 2008, 17:50

babylurch wrote:The Alarm. I suspect that most folks here are too young to remember, but they were a college radio staple in the 80's. They also put on a hell of a show. There are a couple of videos on Youtube. I'd recommend 68 Guns, The Stand and Blaze of Glory.

Green Day used the chord progressions from 68 Guns on the "Dearly Beloved" section of Jesus of Suburbia.
http://7up17togo.blogspot.com/

Bricks Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm How many chicks have you bedded _?
_ Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm: i will say 27 with a confidence interval of around 97%
nerf66 Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 pm: 97% confident they were all women?
Tremendous_sidePotential
The Bomb Dick

Postby babylurch » 05 Apr 2008, 08:50

So where does Prince fit into this? He was as big as big gets for about 2 years, and then has hung around the fringes since then.
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby nova » 05 Apr 2008, 10:11

babylurch wrote:So where does Prince fit into this? He was as big as big gets for about 2 years, and then has hung around the fringes since then.

Prince is still a megastar in the negro community. he could take a dump, put it in a CD case, and people of color would still buy it.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby babylurch » 05 Apr 2008, 10:27

I understand. That's what's interesting about trying to categorize him. He isn't much of a crossover player anymore, but he was. NOw, he seems to be one of the people who is most interested, and capable, of taking on the industry.

Also, I think that he put on the best live show I've ever seen. One of the few shows that I've ever felt privileged to have seen. But, yeah, the last time around my skin color was in the minorty.
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby chrisco » 05 Apr 2008, 14:19

Prince is a major. He may have only had a 5-7 year run as a commercial success, but he was a huge star during that time. He also gets a lot of respect as an artist, songwriter, talent developer, and guitar hero from fellow musicians. His live shows are legendary, he blew me away when I saw him. Plus I think he gets some additional credit for prolific experimentation. A lot of those years he was not commercially popular were due to the fact that he was trying out new directions with his sound.

I think 25 years from now Prince's music will be played more than Micheal Jackson's. It will certainly be more covered.

As an aside, check out Warren Zevon's cover of Raspberry Beret. His version rocks the shit out of it.

Speaking of, I would nominate Warren Zevon as a solid mid major...A few great songs: Werewolves of London, Lawyers Guns and Money and a lot of other good work.

Robyn Hitchcock might be a stretch, he's always been an oddball and never really got that big in the US, but he's got a ton of talent, is funny as shit, and is a true original.
chrisco
Madoff

Next

Return to Music