Sons of Kid Charlemagne: The Steely Dan Thread

Re: Sons of Kid Charlemagne: The Steely Dan Thread

Postby mister bacon » 18 Jun 2008, 10:52

JichaelDick wrote:I always heard that it was because they enjoyed watching 'Bama football in the late '70s. Then again, my sources are Tide propagandists, so take it with a grain of salt.

no, this is not true at all. but they dodnt call bama fans racists. but check it.

It was originally speculated that the song was written about the Wake Forest University Demon Deacons, but in a Rolling Stone interview, Donald Fagen said "Walter and I had been working on that song at a house in Malibu. I played him that line, and he said, "You mean it's like, 'They call these cracker assholes this grandiose name like the Crimson Tide, and I'm this loser, so they call me this other grandiose name, Deacon Blues?' " And I said, "Yeah!" He said, "Cool! Let's finish it!"
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JichaelDick » 18 Jun 2008, 10:56

mister bacon wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:I always heard that it was because they enjoyed watching 'Bama football in the late '70s. Then again, my sources are Tide propagandists, so take it with a grain of salt.

no, this is not true at all. but they dodnt call bama fans racists. but check it.

It was originally speculated that the song was written about the Wake Forest University Demon Deacons, but in a Rolling Stone interview, Donald Fagen said "Walter and I had been working on that song at a house in Malibu. I played him that line, and he said, "You mean it's like, 'They call these cracker assholes this grandiose name like the Crimson Tide, and I'm this loser, so they call me this other grandiose name, Deacon Blues?' " And I said, "Yeah!" He said, "Cool! Let's finish it!"

In defense of the "cracker asshole" Alabama folks, the best, and most beloved player, on the Alabama teams at the time the song was written was Ozzie Newsome, who is as much cracker as I am Chinese.

Of course, this is also a fanbase that had fans say during the Zow/Watts debates of 2000 and 2001..."I'd rather lose with Tyler Watts than win with that [insert offensive racial epithet here]."
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mister bacon » 18 Jun 2008, 11:10

yeah but they were talking about naming the team the crimson tide, which ozzie newsome didnt do.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JichaelDick » 18 Jun 2008, 11:13

mister bacon wrote:yeah but they were talking about naming the team the crimson tide, which ozzie newsome didnt do.

But Ozzie didn't get it changed, did he? [/non-sequitir]

Oh, well, it's a helluva song. So is Rikki Don't Lose that Number, Peg, and Hey, 19
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mister bacon » 19 Jun 2008, 11:47

what is your favorite Steely Dan one liner?

mine has to be "like a sunday in TJ, its cheap.. but its not free"

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Prez » 20 Jun 2008, 23:35

mister bacon wrote:what is your favorite Steely Dan one liner?

"Show biz kids making movies of themselves, you know they dont give a fuck about anybody else"

Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby mister bacon » 10 Jul 2008, 10:45

ive recently decided that i want the song "home at last" played at my funeral. i love this song.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby nova » 11 Apr 2009, 19:38

Steely Dan and Guitar Hero fans will be happy to know a track pack is being released on April 16.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby mister bacon » 23 May 2012, 14:38

totally feeling this track. love the piano + the bassline.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby mister bacon » 23 Jul 2013, 12:42

been missing new york city a lot lately.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 23 Jul 2013, 12:58

Bacon what is it that you hate most about Indiana? is it the available parking? the normal people? lack of litter?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby mister bacon » 23 Jul 2013, 13:10

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Bacon what is it that you hate most about Indiana? is it the available parking? the normal people? lack of litter?

parking: balls, only dummies, cabbies, and people transporting a lot of goods drive in new york so i didn't give a shit about parking when i lived there.

people: the girls are uggos here, no random jaw-dropping trim that walks by. people have their family to go home to for the most part, so they aren't much fun. can't just randomly decide to walk into some bar i've passed by hundreds of times to throw back a few before heading home because drunk driving is apparently frowned upon.

litter: i wasn't raised in he suburbs so cleanliness is not really something i rate cities upon. there's not a lot of litter here, but a lot of run down condemned houses that are eyesores and magnets for crime and shit. bitch all you want about how dirty the city was but there were waaaaaaaaaaaay less abandoned shit in NYC as a whole.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 23 Jul 2013, 14:17

mister bacon wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Bacon what is it that you hate most about Indiana? is it the available parking? the normal people? lack of litter?

parking: balls, only dummies, cabbies, and people transporting a lot of goods drive in new york so i didn't give a shit about parking when i lived there.

people: the girls are uggos here, no random jaw-dropping trim that walks by. people have their family to go home to for the most part, so they aren't much fun. can't just randomly decide to walk into some bar i've passed by hundreds of times to throw back a few before heading home because drunk driving is apparently frowned upon.

litter: i wasn't raised in he suburbs so cleanliness is not really something i rate cities upon. there's not a lot of litter here, but a lot of run down condemned houses that are eyesores and magnets for crime and shit. bitch all you want about how dirty the city was but there were waaaaaaaaaaaay less abandoned shit in NYC as a whole.

I can see your second point. I would imagine if I could walk into a bar at any time, and not have to worry about driving home, its be glorious. I have never really had that luxury in my life.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby the cheese » 23 Jul 2013, 14:19

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

I can see your second point. I would imagine if I could walk into a bar at any time, and not have to worry about driving home, its be glorious. I have never really had that luxury in my life.

If I could walk into a bar and not worry about driving home, I would be an alcoholic.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby mister bacon » 23 Jul 2013, 14:32

the cheese wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

If I could walk into a bar and not worry about driving home, I would be an alcoholic.

my tolerance has come back down to earth now, and it sucks. new york city drunk is unlike any other drunk in america save vegas drunk. there were several days/nights i had a big *SCENE MISSING* and then the next thing i knew i was pushing the touch screen buttons to give my cabbie a tip and trying to focus on not falling down the stairwell to my apartment building.

it also didn't help that you could buy a mixed drink almost anywhere in the fucking city. places that were open just for breakfast would have full fucking bars. soooooo much drinking done there. damn, i miss it.

:sniff:

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

PreviousNext

Return to Music