SOTSG Recommends...

SOTSG Recommends...

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 19 Oct 2007, 04:17

A wise_man once said, "I constantly seek new music, and discover old artists, and strive to always improve my music tastes.... Music is probably one of the most enriching hobbies there is, and I personally think music is getting better decade by decade, year by year, and it's so easily acessible, and there's more information out there more than ever to be a serious music head. "

I thought it might be good to have a thread to recommend artists that others may not have heard of, so we can all expand out horizons in order to get elusive _ approval.

I know that there have been a few bands I've gotten into just because someone here mentioned them, so I thought it owuld be cool to have a bunch of recommendations all in one place.

I'll start with one of my favourites.

Recommendation: Hawksley Workman
Style / Genre: Singer/Songwriter
You might like this artist if you like: David Bowie, Jeff Buckley, Ben Folds
Songs to check out as a start: Jealous Of Your Cigarette, Bullets, Anger As Beauty, No Sissies, Your Beauty Must Be Rubbing Off, Ice Age
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Prez » 19 Oct 2007, 07:14

Great thread idea.

I've found that as I get older <insert joke here>, I have less time to seek out and listen to new music. I used to spend endless hours talking about music, browsing record stores, trading albums/discs with friends etc. Unfortunately, this stuff has taken a back seat to work, family, coaching, yard work, house maintenance and life in general.

As my kids get older and require less and less of my time, music will return to one of the most important things in my life.

That being said, I don't have any recommendations now, but look forward to others.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby WampaOne » 19 Oct 2007, 10:42

I can recommend a lot of rather obscure/forgotten music from the 80?s...OMD was pretty popular in Europe back in the day, but seem to have been completely forgotten, except for those 80?s buff types, or old dudes who can?t get in to new music, or guys who go to night clubs who only play 80?s songs or... :oops:

Recommendation: Orchestral Manoevres in the Dark or simply, OMD
Style / Genre: synth pop/New Wave
You might like this artist if you like: Depeche Mode, A Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, Krafwerk. Also, if you generally like synth sounds and a mean bass guitar.
Songs to check out as a start: If you Leave (famous from being the song played in the Pretty in Pink climax prom dance scene I mean, this is an incredibly romantic moment, and you're ruining it for me), Electricity, Enola Gay, Telegraph, Maid of Orleans, Joan of Arc, Souvenir.
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby jack_daniels » 19 Oct 2007, 12:55

I recommend Animal Collective simply because their latest album is awesome and it's a shame no one here knows about em.

I dunno where they fit genre-wise, maybe experimental indie-pop. THey do employ an amalgamation of different sounds from cultures across the world, and they do it good. Basically it's a mindfuck.

Song-wise, I'll go by what I believe is most accessible to people who've never heard of their music: Derek, Winter Wonderland, Fireworks

Get to it folks. If you need a YSI, holla.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Frank the Tank » 19 Oct 2007, 13:52

Someone else has already posted this on this site (my apologies for not remembering the original author and being too lazy to search) but if you've got limited time and are looking for recommendations a good place to look is Pandora. You tell it some music you like and it plays another song that you might like based on your original selection. As the music goes by you give it either a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down and it gradually gets a better opinion of your taste. Some of the recommendations can be pretty good.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby jack_daniels » 19 Oct 2007, 13:56

Yeah, I recommended it. good stuff. Helped me a lot.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby myherobobhope » 19 Oct 2007, 13:58

Frank the Tank wrote:Someone else has already posted this on this site (my apologies for not remembering the original author and being too lazy to search) but if you've got limited time and are looking for recommendations a good place to look is Pandora. You tell it some music you like and it plays another song that you might like based on your original selection. As the music goes by you give it either a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down and it gradually gets a better opinion of your taste. Some of the recommendations can be pretty good.

Yeah, I've used and pimped Pandora... I'm not sure how their liscencing works, as I feel like it's been alot of lesser known (and shitty) bands of late.

That said, they introduced me to Troubled Hubble, which I assume no one has heard of, so I will make it my recommendation:

Troubled Hubble
Making Beds in A Burning House
Similar to: Modest Mouse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubled_Hubble

Ironically (kindof): Their last show was on my birthday (I wasn't there, hadn't heard of them, and probably wouldn't have gone)
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby someguysomewhere » 19 Oct 2007, 20:05

jack_daniels wrote:Yeah, I recommended it. good stuff. Helped me a lot.

How did you get around the Canada ban? Does it still work for you?
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Re: SOTSG Recommends...

Postby myherobobhope » 22 Oct 2007, 09:41

Recommendation: New Wave by Against Me!
Style / Genre: Punk Rock
You might like this artist if you like: The Ramones, PropaGhandi
Songs to check out as a start: Americans Abroad, Borne on the FM Waves of the Heart, New Way. (The track Sink, Florida, Sink from an earlier CD is also excellent)

I'm obsessed with this CD at the moment.
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby kaskomm09 » 22 Oct 2007, 09:54

myherobobhope wrote:Recommendation: New Wave by Against Me!
Songs to check out as a start: Americans Abroad, Borne on the FM Waves of the Heart, New Way. (The track Sink, Florida, Sink from an earlier CD is also excellent)

I've never fully gave this band a chance at a listen but I've had the song "Tonight We're Gonna Give It 35%" and I like that one. So... any other CD rec, or should I start with this new one on them?
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby myherobobhope » 22 Oct 2007, 10:00

kaskomm09 wrote:
myherobobhope wrote:Recommendation: New Wave by Against Me!

I've never fully gave this band a chance at a listen but I've had the song "Tonight We're Gonna Give It 35%" and I like that one. So... any other CD rec, or should I start with this new one on them?

I like most of their old stuff (Tonight 35%, and Sink, Florida, Sink are probably my 2 favorites) but I think this CD is better. I'd start with it, and work backwards.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby WampaOne » 07 Dec 2007, 11:45

Wampa brings you another great and underrated - and mostly completely forgotten - 80?s band, this time around from the US, hailing originally from Philly:

Recommendation: Book of Love
Style / Genre: synth pop
You might like this artist if you like: OMD, A Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, The Cure, The Smits
Songs to check out as a start: Modigliani (Lost in Your Eyes), You Make Me Feel So Good, I Touch Roses, Book of Love, Pretty Boys and Pretty Girls, Lullaby, Alice Everyday, Enchanted
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby SouthernYokel » 07 Dec 2007, 16:23

I can't help it.

WampaOne wrote:Songs to check out as a start: Modigliani (Lost in Your Eyes), I Touch Pretty Boys, Enchanted
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 15 Feb 2008, 01:12

Recommendation: The Feelies
Style / Genre: 80's alternative / new wave / college rock
You might like this artist if you like: Talking Heads, early REM, Velvet Underground
Songs to check out as a start: Waiting, Too Far Gone, It's Only Life, For Awhile, Let's Go, What Goes On (Velvet Underground cover)
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby jack_daniels » 23 Feb 2008, 21:59

the feelies are EXCELLENT, highly recommend them.

bumping this cuz the yellow thing won't go away. :D
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Next

Return to Music