Musicals--Not just for queers anymore

Musicals--Not just for queers anymore

Postby WhiteSox » 12 Sep 2007, 10:38

Thanks for the good idea, Fletch.

Frank and I admitted to enjoying musicals in another thread, and I bet there are more of you hiding in the closet.

Don't be scared! Come to this thread and discuss your favorite musicals from the stage and or screen.

My favorite, if I have to choose one, is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
User avatar
WhiteSox
Bruce Dickinson
 
Posts: 787
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 15:29
Location: Farmington

Re: Musicals--Not just for queers anymore

Postby nova » 12 Sep 2007, 10:50

Willy Wonka the movie.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25369
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Postby the cheese » 12 Sep 2007, 10:54

Call me a fag, but Wicked is fucking fantastic.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17110
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Postby SouthernYokel » 12 Sep 2007, 10:56

south park blu is all i can think of. i like watching parts of west side story because it's ridiculous (why are these tough gangsters dancing and singing?).
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 28518
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Postby Frank the Tank » 12 Sep 2007, 11:03

South Park BLU is fucking fantastic, but I think it's easier to appreciate if you've seen all the different musicals they're parodying, from Saddam parodying the Disney villain song, to La Resistance parodying Les Mis. Absofuckingloutely fantastic.

The Producers is probably my favorite musical of all time. My favorite pre-2000 musical is probably Man of La Mancha. West Side Story is awfully good too. Guys and Dolls and Camelot round out my top five.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31253
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Postby SouthernYokel » 12 Sep 2007, 11:09

Frank the Tank wrote:South Park BLU is fucking fantastic, but I think it's easier to appreciate if you've seen all the different musicals they're parodying, from Saddam parodying the Disney villain song, to La Resistance parodying Les Mis. Absofuckingloutely fantastic.

The Producers is probably my favorite musical of all time. My favorite pre-2000 musical is probably Man of La Mancha. West Side Story is awfully good too. Guys and Dolls and Camelot round out my top five.


oh right, the producers, i like (and own) that one. the man of la mancha reminds me of the simpsons.

what was the name of that book character, he was spanish.
-don quixote?
-no no, that's not it. the man of la mancha.
-don quixote.
-NO, that's not it. I'm sure of it.
-i really think it's don quixote.
-fine i'll look it up.
-who was it?
-nevermind.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 28518
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Postby Fletch » 12 Sep 2007, 11:10

If Team America counts, then that's one. South Park is another. Though I didn't much like it at first, I've come to like Moulin Rouge. I like the music from Phantom, but could care less about watching it onstage or screen. If The Wall counts (it shouldn't), there's another.

That's about it. As a rule, I hate musicals - especiallsythat Dancin' in the Rain, Sound of Music-type shit.

The upcoming Beatles "tribute" movie Across the Universe looks like it has potential, but I'm not holding out too much hope.
Last edited by Fletch on 12 Sep 2007, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
User avatar
Fletch
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: 30 Mar 2006, 10:19
Location: Number 2

Postby the cheese » 12 Sep 2007, 11:12

1. Wicked
2. South Park, BLU
3. Camelot
4. The Producers
5. How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying
6. Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
7. Spamalot
8. Les Mis
9. Little Shop of Horrors
10. Fiddler on the Roof
...
8,974. The Sound of Music
Last edited by the cheese on 12 Sep 2007, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17110
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 12 Sep 2007, 11:19

i don't care what anyone calls me, the sound of music is an all-time classic. when i was in austria a few years ago i went on a sound of music tour.

ETA: and cheese i'm disappointed you did not put Oklahoma on that list.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
User avatar
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7306
Joined: 08 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: New Jersey

Postby WhiteSox » 12 Sep 2007, 11:26

I'm a big fan of Hairspray. The new version was terrific.
User avatar
WhiteSox
Bruce Dickinson
 
Posts: 787
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 15:29
Location: Farmington

Postby Fletch » 12 Sep 2007, 11:28

Untouchable wrote:i don't care what anyone calls me, the sound of music is an all-time classic. when i was in austria a few years ago i went on a sound of music tour.

ETA: and cheese i'm disappointed you did not put Oklahoma on that list.


Okay, Captain von Trapp.

I'd rather ride through "It's a Small World" at Disneyland for 6 hours straight than go on a Sound of Music tour, methinks.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
User avatar
Fletch
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: 30 Mar 2006, 10:19
Location: Number 2

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 12 Sep 2007, 11:29

7 brides for 7 brothers was a good one. singing in the rain, the music man, and meet me in st louis all had their moments.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
User avatar
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7306
Joined: 08 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: New Jersey

Postby Frank the Tank » 12 Sep 2007, 11:38

Untouchable wrote:7 brides for 7 brothers was a good one. singing in the rain, the music man, and meet me in st louis all had their moments.


I really liked Singin' In The Rain (which I assumed Irwin M. Ebert would know isn't "Dancing in the Rain"). I like the whole story about how Debbie Reynolds was having trouble with some of the singing, so Jean Hagen dubbed Debbie Reynold's scene where she's dubbing Jean Hagen's voice. That some solid Entertainment Tonight irony right there.

I have not seen Hairspray. I liked Chicago. Phantom gets my nod as most overrated musical of all time, narrowly edging out Cats.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31253
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Postby Fletch » 12 Sep 2007, 11:41

Frank the Tank wrote:
Untouchable wrote:7 brides for 7 brothers was a good one. singing in the rain, the music man, and meet me in st louis all had their moments.


I really liked Singin' In The Rain (which I assumed Irwin M. Ebert would know isn't "Dancing in the Rain"). I like the whole story about how Debbie Reynolds was having trouble with some of the singing, so Jean Hagen dubbed Debbie Reynold's scene where she's dubbing Jean Hagen's voice. That some solid Entertainment Tonight irony right there.

I have not seen Hairspray. I liked Chicago. Phantom gets my nod as most overrated musical of all time, narrowly edging out Cats.


I did know that. Not sure why I typed Dancing. My bad.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
User avatar
Fletch
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: 30 Mar 2006, 10:19
Location: Number 2

Postby the cheese » 12 Sep 2007, 11:48

Untouchable wrote:i don't care what anyone calls me, the sound of music is an all-time classic. when i was in austria a few years ago i went on a sound of music tour.

ETA: and cheese i'm disappointed you did not put Oklahoma on that list.


I've seen that damn show so many fucking times that I'm completely sick of it.

(My mother was a musical theater fan and took my brothers and I to every fucking show that ever came through OKC. And the yearly production of Oklahoma!)
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17110
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Next

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests