YACHT ROCK!!!!!

Postby Fletch » 24 Jun 2007, 23:09

Bacon has gone off the deep end (pun intended).

But seriously, I've never heard that term, but you lost me. This music is the spawn of the devil. I, unlike JD, hate it with the passion of a thousand suns.

BTW, does Steely Dan fall into this category, or are they disqualified because they were being cheesy on purpose? Because I used to hate them, but have grown to appreciate them.

When I hear Yacht Rock, I think of Jimmy Buffett, who I do like. (A pre-emptive "fuck you all" to any who say otherwise.)
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Jun 2007, 23:11

Really the only good music to come out of the 80's are: Eric B. and Rakeem, Public enemy, NWA, New order, Joy Division, and possibly Bruce Springsteen.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby mister bacon » 25 Jun 2007, 00:32

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:Bacon has gone off the deep end (pun intended).

But seriously, I've never heard that term, but you lost me. This music is the spawn of the devil. I, unlike JD, hate it with the passion of a thousand suns.

BTW, does Steely Dan fall into this category, or are they disqualified because they were being cheesy on purpose? Because I used to hate them, but have grown to appreciate them.

When I hear Yacht Rock, I think of Jimmy Buffett, who I do like. (A pre-emptive "fuck you all" to any who say otherwise.)

Michael McDonald sang with Steely Dan sometimes, so yes... see? here you were hating on it, and you like Buffet AND Steely Dan. i hate Jimmy Buffet.. but how can you hate Michael McDonald? seriously?
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 25 Jun 2007, 06:54

jack_daniels wrote:Really the only good music to come out of the 80's are: Eric B. and Rakeem, Public enemy, NWA, New order, Joy Division, and possibly Bruce Springsteen.

No. When post-apocolyptic archaeologists are going through the ruins of what we would call "modern society" they will eventually all agree that the 80's were where pre-nuclear annihilation culture peaked.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Theny » 25 Jun 2007, 08:47

jack_daniels wrote:Really the only good music to come out of the 80's are: Eric B. and Rakeem, Public enemy, NWA, New order, Joy Division, and possibly Bruce Springsteen.

The Pixies, Talking Heads, and The Cure are on Line 1 buddy.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Rodney Farva » 25 Jun 2007, 09:16

a lot of this music was late 70s, _. just like springsteen isn't necessarily from the 80s. but w.e. (and for vishnu's sake, would it kill you to buy music legally for a change? i mean, 99c for a song, is that so much?)

as a whole i can't stand that kind of music - my mother played it, too - particularly the jimmy buffett strain, but there are a few songs here and there that are, indeed, guilty pleasures.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Colonel Angus » 25 Jun 2007, 10:09

I love it when _ goes all music-expert on us. It is a comedic goldmine.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby someguysomewhere » 25 Jun 2007, 10:26

Good fucking lord Bacon, you made me get that damned "Sailing" song stuck in my head.

"Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaailing takes me away, awoowoowooo, saaaaaaaaaaaaaaailing."

Arrgghhh, death, stab, kill.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Theny » 25 Jun 2007, 10:32

What about that one song that goes, "Summer breeze, makes me feel fiiiinne, blowin thru the jasmine in my miiiiind"

Is that yacht rock?
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Brick Tamland » 25 Jun 2007, 10:42

VH1's 40 Most Softsational Soft-Rock Songs

Great show... Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, Seals & Crofts.... all the heavywieghts!
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby Colonel Angus » 25 Jun 2007, 12:01

Theny wrote:What about that one song that goes, "Summer breeze, makes me feel fiiiinne, blowin thru the jasmine in my miiiiind"

Is that yacht rock?

Ah yes, Seals & Crofts. Type O Negative did a pretty funny cover of that song.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby jack_daniels » 25 Jun 2007, 21:14

Theny wrote:

Oh word? I thought they were 90's bands. That's cool.

No, I'll never buy music. Who still does that? You can torrent the albums and you don't have another major expense to worry about. Seriously I have over 60 gigs of music alone, that would run me probably $6-700 maybe more, maybe $1000. F it.

I support bands by going to conerts, they make mad cash money from that.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Durden » 25 Jun 2007, 21:16

jack_daniels wrote:
Theny wrote:

Oh word? I thought they were 90's bands. That's cool.

No, I'll never buy music. Who still does that? You can torrent the albums and you don't have another major expense to worry about. Seriously I have over 60 gigs of music alone, that would run me probably $6-700 maybe more, maybe $1000. F it.

I support bands by going to conerts, they make mad cash money from that.

how do you get the albums? i still use Limewire, which can be difficult, but it's hard to complain when it's free.
i used to be commander and chief of my pimp ship.

2008 Who's Now
BSMB: poor nerf. You had a fine year. One and DUN, yo.
Durden
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby jack_daniels » 25 Jun 2007, 21:31

Torrents are your friend. Demonoid, Torrentspy, oink, etc etc. Music boards are also a huge help.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 25 Jun 2007, 21:42

someguysomewhere wrote:I am extremely disappointed that this thread made it to 12 replies without some kind of a cheap joke at Ogie's expense.

ETA:

We usually either have a sox game on or an ipod playing late 80's early 90's rap.
Whoever mentioned hall & oates was right on though. those guys kicked ass.
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

PreviousNext

Return to Music