The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Colonel Angus » 09 Dec 2014, 09:09

New Zimmy joint drops Feb. 3: http://www.bobdylan.com/us/news/new-alb ... -out-feb-3

Working with Jack Frost on this one. That dude always gets the best out of Bob.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 09 Dec 2014, 10:31

Colonel Angus wrote:New Zimmy joint drops Feb. 3: http://www.bobdylan.com/us/news/new-alb ... -out-feb-3

Working with Jack Frost on this one. That dude always gets the best out of Bob.



Image

That....is hilarious.
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 11051
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 09 Dec 2014, 10:41

I feel like he is ripping off Black Flag.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 17255
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Colonel Angus » 09 Dec 2014, 10:42

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:I feel like he is ripping off Black Flag.


I had that same thought. Unfortunately, Black Flag is not one of the artists covered on the album. Maybe there will be a hidden track.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 09 Dec 2014, 10:43

The IMS writers have been officially fired.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 17255
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Colonel Angus » 09 Dec 2014, 22:21

Didn't realize that these songs were all popularized by Sinatra. Huh.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Colonel Angus » 15 Dec 2014, 16:26

Dylan plays a show for one guy:

http://www.nme.com/news/bob-dylan/81750

"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Prez » 19 Dec 2014, 09:48

Need some help (from mister t and anus)... I DL'ed Dylan's 50th anniversary CD because I wanted to explore his catalog and add some songs to my music library but its 9 discs long and i'm a busy guy. Please provide me with the top 10 list of songs you think I would enjoy. I'm aware of some of the popular ones, but overall not too familiar with the deep cuts. TYIA.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
User avatar
Prez
The MAWG
 
Posts: 9693
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 08:53
Location: Ballz deep in golf groupie pussy

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Colonel Angus » 19 Dec 2014, 09:52

Prez wrote:Need some help (from mister t and anus)... I DL'ed Dylan's 50th anniversary CD because I wanted to explore his catalog and add some songs to my music library but its 9 discs long and i'm a busy guy. Please provide me with the top 10 list of songs you think I would enjoy. I'm aware of some of the popular ones, but overall not too familiar with the deep cuts. TYIA.


9 discs? I'm not familiar with the 50th anniversary CD. Got a link to the track list? Is it this thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_50th_A ... ction_1964
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Prez » 19 Dec 2014, 09:58

Colonel Angus wrote:
Prez wrote:Need some help (from mister t and anus)... I DL'ed Dylan's 50th anniversary CD because I wanted to explore his catalog and add some songs to my music library but its 9 discs long and i'm a busy guy. Please provide me with the top 10 list of songs you think I would enjoy. I'm aware of some of the popular ones, but overall not too familiar with the deep cuts. TYIA.


9 discs? I'm not familiar with the 50th anniversary CD. Got a link to the track list? Is it this thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_50th_A ... ction_1964



That's it.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
User avatar
Prez
The MAWG
 
Posts: 9693
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 08:53
Location: Ballz deep in golf groupie pussy

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Colonel Angus » 19 Dec 2014, 10:01

Prez wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
Prez wrote:Need some help (from mister t and anus)... I DL'ed Dylan's 50th anniversary CD because I wanted to explore his catalog and add some songs to my music library but its 9 discs long and i'm a busy guy. Please provide me with the top 10 list of songs you think I would enjoy. I'm aware of some of the popular ones, but overall not too familiar with the deep cuts. TYIA.


9 discs? I'm not familiar with the 50th anniversary CD. Got a link to the track list? Is it this thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_50th_A ... ction_1964



That's it.


Huh. Looks like it's got a bunch of live tracks on it.

The Guardian published this "beginner's guide" a couple of years ago, and it has a pretty good list of 10 "user-friendly" songs, though it skews toward his older stuff: http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicb ... ners-guide

Rolling Stone's list of 10 greatest Dylan songs is full of stuff most people will enjoy: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... l-20110511

That's a start, at least. What sort of music do you normally enjoy?
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 19 Dec 2014, 10:14

Colonel Angus wrote:Didn't realize that these songs were all popularized by Sinatra. Huh.


Ha, yeah. That's....gonna be interesting.

Prez wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
Prez wrote:Need some help (from mister t and anus)... I DL'ed Dylan's 50th anniversary CD because I wanted to explore his catalog and add some songs to my music library but its 9 discs long and i'm a busy guy. Please provide me with the top 10 list of songs you think I would enjoy. I'm aware of some of the popular ones, but overall not too familiar with the deep cuts. TYIA.


9 discs? I'm not familiar with the 50th anniversary CD. Got a link to the track list? Is it this thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_50th_A ... ction_1964



That's it.


We're talking the deep cuts here from that particular list, so skipping your It's Alright Mas, Hard Rain's, Hattie Carrolls, etc.
10. Eternal Circle
9. Walls of Red Wing
8. If You Gotta Go, Go Now
7. Chimes of Freedom
For the countless confused, accused, misused, strung-out ones an' worse
An' for every hung-up person in the whole wide universe
An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing

6. All I Really Want to Do - he yodels.
5. Restless Farewell - The Eff You to the protest hippies.
Oh a false clock tries to tick out my time
To disgrace, distract, and bother me
And the dirt of gossip blows into my face
And the dust of rumors covers me
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust no matter how thick
So I’ll make my stand
And remain as I am
And bid farewell and not give a damn

4. Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues
3. I Shall Be Free No. 10
I was shadow-boxing earlier in the day
I figured I was ready for Cassius Clay
I said "Fee, fie, for, fum, Cassius Clay here I come
26, 27, 28, 29, I'm gonna make your face look just like mine
Five, four, three, two, one, Cassius Clay you'd better run
99, 100 101, 102, your ma won't even recognize you
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, gonna knock him clean right out of his spleen.

2. Spanish Harlem Incident - it's about getting fresh butt from a colored.
1. Who Killed Davy Moore. WHY. AND WHAT'S THE REASON FOR.
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 11051
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby chrisco » 19 Dec 2014, 18:14

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:Didn't realize that these songs were all popularized by Sinatra. Huh.


Ha, yeah. That's....gonna be interesting.

Prez wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
Prez wrote:Need some help (from mister t and anus)... I DL'ed Dylan's 50th anniversary CD because I wanted to explore his catalog and add some songs to my music library but its 9 discs long and i'm a busy guy. Please provide me with the top 10 list of songs you think I would enjoy. I'm aware of some of the popular ones, but overall not too familiar with the deep cuts. TYIA.


9 discs? I'm not familiar with the 50th anniversary CD. Got a link to the track list? Is it this thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_50th_A ... ction_1964



That's it.


We're talking the deep cuts here from that particular list, so skipping your It's Alright Mas, Hard Rain's, Hattie Carrolls, etc.
10. Eternal Circle
9. Walls of Red Wing
8. If You Gotta Go, Go Now
7. Chimes of Freedom
For the countless confused, accused, misused, strung-out ones an' worse
An' for every hung-up person in the whole wide universe
An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing

6. All I Really Want to Do - he yodels.
5. Restless Farewell - The Eff You to the protest hippies.
Oh a false clock tries to tick out my time
To disgrace, distract, and bother me
And the dirt of gossip blows into my face
And the dust of rumors covers me
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust no matter how thick
So I’ll make my stand
And remain as I am
And bid farewell and not give a damn

4. Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues
3. I Shall Be Free No. 10
I was shadow-boxing earlier in the day
I figured I was ready for Cassius Clay
I said "Fee, fie, for, fum, Cassius Clay here I come
26, 27, 28, 29, I'm gonna make your face look just like mine
Five, four, three, two, one, Cassius Clay you'd better run
99, 100 101, 102, your ma won't even recognize you
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, gonna knock him clean right out of his spleen.

2. Spanish Harlem Incident - it's about getting fresh butt from a colored.
1. Who Killed Davy Moore. WHY. AND WHAT'S THE REASON FOR.


All I Really Wanna Do is treeeemendous. Its right up there with Lay Lady Lay in the top 2 of alternate Dylan Voices.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 10849
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby Briandong79 » 23 Dec 2014, 09:56

Bob Dylan really goes all out decorating for Christmas:
http://www.vice.com/read/i-have-an-unhe ... lights-129
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 29071
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: The Robert Zimmerman (umm..) Appreciation Thread

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 23 Dec 2014, 10:06

Briandong79 wrote:Bob Dylan really goes all out decorating for Christmas:
http://www.vice.com/read/i-have-an-unhe ... lights-129


This was my fave.

Image

That was some pretty good A.J. Weberman shit.
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 11051
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

PreviousNext

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest