Random Thoughts -- The Music Edition

Re: Random Thoughts -- The Music Edition

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 06 Dec 2017, 15:51

CourtesyFlush wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:Are there creepier lyrics when you really listen to them than George Michael's 'Father Figure'?

I will be your father figure
Put your tiny hand in mine
I will be your preacher teacher
Anything you have in mind
I have had enough of crime
I will be the one who loves you
'Til the end of time

That's solid...ly creepy.

Along that same line a buddy of mine does a post on the book every week called Song Title Tuesday where he throws a topic out there and asks for friends to post a comment with a song that matches his criteria. Usually they're really good topics and generate a ton of hits/comments. Fun stuff. This week he posted that given the current political and entertainment climate what songs made in the past would be inappropriate today? The first one I thought of was 'Seventeen' by Winger.

What say you, SOTSG?

bitches ain't shit. ain't no fun. the entire efil4zaggin album. for rock, i think one in a million would be a career-ender if it was put out by an up and coming band in 2017.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby Goose » 06 Dec 2017, 16:50

Dr Jeckyll wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:Are there creepier lyrics when you really listen to them than George Michael's 'Father Figure'?

Put your tiny hand in mine
I will be your preacher teacher
Anything you have in mind
I have had enough of crime
I will be the one who loves you
'Til the end of time

That's solid...ly creepy.

Along that same line a buddy of mine does a post on the book every week called Song Title Tuesday where he throws a topic out there and asks for friends to post a comment with a song that matches his criteria. Usually they're really good topics and generate a ton of hits/comments. Fun stuff. This week he posted that given the current political and entertainment climate what songs made in the past would be inappropriate today? The first one I thought of was 'Seventeen' by Winger.

What say you, SOTSG?

bitches ain't shit. ain't no fun. the entire efil4zaggin album. for rock, i think one in a million would be a career-ender if it was put out by an up and coming band in 2017.

When I was in ninth grade and Weird Al was all the rage a friend of mine thought that Father Figure would make a perfect Weird Al song. I only remember the opening two lines, but he may have been right...

I will be your chiropractor
Put your broken back in line
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 06 Dec 2017, 20:41

Christine Sixteen by KISS

She's got me dizzy, she sees me through to the end
She's got me in her hands and there's no use in pretending

Christine sixteen, Christine sixteen

She drives me crazy, I want to give her all I've got
And she's hot every day and night, there is no doubt about it

I don't usually say things like this to girls your age
But when I saw you coming out of the school that day
That day I knew, I knew (Christine sixteen)
I've got to have you, I've got to have you

She's' been around, but she's young and clean
I've got to have her, can't live without her, whoa no

Christine (Christine), sixteen (sixteen)
Christine, yeah, yeah
She's so clean (Christine), sixteen (sixteen)
Christine, yeah (Christine), yeah, yeah
Christine, yeah (Christine), yeah, yeah
Christine (Christine) yeah, yeah, yeah
Christine (Christine), yeah, yeah, yeah
Christine (Christine), yeah, yeah, yeah
Christine (Christine), yeah, yeah
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby paje » 14 Dec 2017, 07:38

Gary Puckett & The Union Gap - Young Girl

Young girl, get out of my mind
My love for you is way out of line
Better run girl
You're much too young girl

With all the charms of a woman
You've kept the secret of your youth
You led me to believe you're old enough
To give me love
And now it hurts to know the truth

Young girl, get out of my mind
Better run girl

Beneath your perfume and your make-up
You're just a baby in disguise
And though you know that it's wrong to be
Alone with me
That come on look is in your eyes

Young girl, get out my mind
Better run girl

So hurry home to your mama
I'm sure she wonders where you are
Get out of here
Before I have the time
To change my mind
'Cause I'm afraid we'll go too far

Young girl, get out my mind
Better run girl
You're much too young girl (repeat to fade)
paje
Another dude worth meeting

Postby chrisco » 29 Jan 2018, 10:05

I'm currently flirting with The War on Drugs. So far, my take is that they sound like Dire Straits or Division Bell era Pink Floyd.

Not sure if I actually like them, or if its just inoffensive music to have on in the background while I waste away the days.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby the cheese » 29 Jan 2018, 10:15

chrisco wrote:I'm currently flirting with The War on Drugs. So far, my take is that they sound like Dire Straits or Division Bell era Pink Floyd.

Not sure if I actually like them, or if its just inoffensive music to have on in the background while I waste away the days.

This is the correct take. I like it, as it serves that purpose well.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Goose » 29 Jan 2018, 15:31

the cheese wrote:
chrisco wrote:I'm currently flirting with The War on Drugs. So far, my take is that they sound like Dire Straits or Division Bell era Pink Floyd.

Thirded.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 29 Jan 2018, 15:57

Goose wrote:
the cheese wrote:

Thirded.

LOVE THEm!
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby bosux » 07 Feb 2018, 15:06

by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby TheWolf » 09 Feb 2018, 10:12

After listening to most of their 'Suburbs' album, I have reached the unfortunate conclusion that I enjoy the music of Arcade Fire. I have hated them for years based solely on the fact that they look the way they look, and I was always taught that this was the best way to judge anyone. But in honor of Black History Month, I have decided to judge them not by the color of their ludicrous clothing, but by the content of their guitars. Alas, I do NOT hate these songs and will likely continue to listen to them on purpose.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 09 Feb 2018, 10:58

TheWolf wrote:After listening to most of their 'Suburbs' album, I have reached the unfortunate conclusion that I enjoy the music of Arcade Fire. I have hated them for years based solely on the fact that they look the way they look, and I was always taught that this was the best way to judge anyone. But in honor of Black History Month, I have decided to judge them not by the color of their ludicrous clothing, but by the content of their guitars. Alas, I do NOT hate these songs and will likely continue to listen to them on purpose.

I really liked Funeral, haven't enjoyed the rest of their stuff very much. i have no idea what they look like so i guess okay nice talking with you.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby chrisco » 09 Feb 2018, 11:12

Rodney Farva wrote:
TheWolf wrote:After listening to most of their 'Suburbs' album, I have reached the unfortunate conclusion that I enjoy the music of Arcade Fire. I have hated them for years based solely on the fact that they look the way they look, and I was always taught that this was the best way to judge anyone. But in honor of Black History Month, I have decided to judge them not by the color of their ludicrous clothing, but by the content of their guitars. Alas, I do NOT hate these songs and will likely continue to listen to them on purpose.

I really liked Funeral, haven't enjoyed the rest of their stuff very much. i have no idea what they look like so i guess okay nice talking with you.

Their last album got a lot more play on my local hipster NPR station than it should have. Sounds like they were ripping off Abba and Toto. I'd feel better about them if they stopped releasing 6 minute singles. Who has time for that anymore?

I saw them open for David Byrne at the Bowl somewhere in the 2001-2005 range. They were a good act, but they also were touring against their first album which is still great.

Cool contribution sco.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby nova » 09 Feb 2018, 12:15

chrisco wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

Their last album got a lot more play on my local hipster NPR station than it should have. Sounds like they were ripping off Abba and Toto. I'd feel better about them if they stopped releasing 6 minute singles. Who has time for that anymore?

I saw them open for David Byrne at the Bowl somewhere in the 2001-2005 range. They were a good act, but they also were touring against their first album which is still great.

Cool contribution sco.

Thanks to this website, I can throw out Arcade Fire when I'm trying to convince white chicks I like music that's not hippity hop, niggas and bitches tunes.

Better contribution, nov.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby OJ8871440 » 09 Feb 2018, 16:10

The first 3 albums were really good but the last 2...oof

I enjoyed this concert several years ago

but then they go and do shit like this

And that's pretty indefensible

To Wolf's point, I enjoy their music but nothing else about them
Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:39 pm Dr Jeckyll who the hell reads OJ posts?
OJ8871440
Rocky Balboa

Postby Goose » 13 Feb 2018, 16:01

Not sure who the audience is for this, but Joan Jett and Styx are planning a co-headlining tour this summer, with Tesla opening.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... ur-w516646

I guess, good luck to all parties involved.

Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

PreviousNext

Return to Music