Random Thoughts -- The Music Edition

Re: Random Thoughts -- The Music Edition

Postby chrisco » 20 Mar 2017, 16:07

the cheese wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
Prez wrote:Who here uses Spotify? I'm interested in your thoughts. I've never used it and my friend just sent me an invite to Spotify Premium... and you'll never guess, but it's FREE! lol. Before ctz rips me a new asshole for getting more free stuff, I brought a brand new Onkyo receiver and full set of 5 Klipsch speakers to his house for our darts hangout over there... plus, I've been buying him lots of beers lately because he is still searching for his "career job" after finally graduating college last year. (He's 32, so only 20 yrs younger than me :/ )

Apparently he has a "family" acct and his ex wipe has been using his secondary login for years. I guess she recently was a bitch to him so he cut her off and sent me the invite. What little I know about it I like, but I'm like a child with a new toy who has no idea how it works. I'm in the office so I can't explore yet.

i do not like the way their app behaves on my phone. it does not play nice with Android's auto play functions. it would turn itself on all the time for all sorts of random reasons (most of them have to do with automatic bluetooth connections, if the phone found a known bluetooth connection, spotify would start playing over it immediately). There was nothing i could do to change it, no setting turned it off because it was the way it read Android's rules, not the rules of the app itself. or so i've been told. so i deleted it. Good music app though, otherwise.

Spotify is great if you want to find new music or explore the catalog of an artist you're already a fan of. I'm not an audiophile, so I can't tell you how well it's going to play with your new stereo, but the only thing I've observed is that I don't listen to as much of my old music as I did before. Some artists that I was a fan of previously have fallen by the wayside. That being said, for less thant $10 a month you get a ridiculous musical catalog. I really like their Discover Weekly (where they give you 25 songs based on what you've listened to recently) and their on-the-go playlists that take stuff you currently listen to and supplement with things that Spotify thinks you would like, based on the genre. The app seems to play well with apple products and every PC I've had, so if you can run a laptop to your receiver or get a blutoof connection to your phone it would probably be pretty great.

It sucks the battery on my phone though if I'm listening to it over LTE.

I'm pretty sure I've bitched about Spotify on the board over the years. On the plus side, it has a ton of music and is cheap. On the cons side, their search sucks and I hate just about everything they do with their UI. As soon as you get used to whatever dumb shit they released last, they change it up. This week for instance, they've decided to let their AI take over everything. So whilst Cheese likes their Discovery Weekly feature, I'm annoyed because I can't find my playlists because they've decided to give that real estate over to whatever playlists their robot has come up with. When I finally find my playlists, I see that they've managed to cram the damn AI generated playlists that I've listened to into "My Playlists".

In short, Spotify is a lot like M$ Office. It peaked at some point like 10 versions ago, but they just keep messing with a good thing. At the same time, its a lot better/cheaper than anything else I've used and I'm not leaving it.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Prez » 22 Mar 2017, 07:57

I'm a couple of weeks into the Spotify experience... BIG fan. The catalog is huge and I like the weekly playlist thing. I can't speak to 'sco's complaint about the UI because the current setup is all I've ever known. I enjoy being able to play music from my tablet to my BLUtoof speaker and being able to control it from my phone... also being able to seamlessly switch back and forth from tablet to phone at any time is a plus. If I had unlimited data on my phone, I would cancel Sirius/XM and use Spotify in my car.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby the cheese » 22 Mar 2017, 08:31

chrisco wrote:
the cheese wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
Prez wrote:Who here uses Spotify? I'm interested in your thoughts. I've never used it and my friend just sent me an invite to Spotify Premium... and you'll never guess, but it's FREE! lol. Before ctz rips me a new asshole for getting more free stuff, I brought a brand new Onkyo receiver and full set of 5 Klipsch speakers to his house for our darts hangout over there... plus, I've been buying him lots of beers lately because he is still searching for his "career job" after finally graduating college last year. (He's 32, so only 20 yrs younger than me :/ )

Apparently he has a "family" acct and his ex wipe has been using his secondary login for years. I guess she recently was a bitch to him so he cut her off and sent me the invite. What little I know about it I like, but I'm like a child with a new toy who has no idea how it works. I'm in the office so I can't explore yet.

i do not like the way their app behaves on my phone. it does not play nice with Android's auto play functions. it would turn itself on all the time for all sorts of random reasons (most of them have to do with automatic bluetooth connections, if the phone found a known bluetooth connection, spotify would start playing over it immediately). There was nothing i could do to change it, no setting turned it off because it was the way it read Android's rules, not the rules of the app itself. or so i've been told. so i deleted it. Good music app though, otherwise.

Spotify is great if you want to find new music or explore the catalog of an artist you're already a fan of. I'm not an audiophile, so I can't tell you how well it's going to play with your new stereo, but the only thing I've observed is that I don't listen to as much of my old music as I did before. Some artists that I was a fan of previously have fallen by the wayside. That being said, for less thant $10 a month you get a ridiculous musical catalog. I really like their Discover Weekly (where they give you 25 songs based on what you've listened to recently) and their on-the-go playlists that take stuff you currently listen to and supplement with things that Spotify thinks you would like, based on the genre. The app seems to play well with apple products and every PC I've had, so if you can run a laptop to your receiver or get a blutoof connection to your phone it would probably be pretty great.

It sucks the battery on my phone though if I'm listening to it over LTE.

I'm pretty sure I've bitched about Spotify on the board over the years. On the plus side, it has a ton of music and is cheap. On the cons side, their search sucks and I hate just about everything they do with their UI. As soon as you get used to whatever dumb shit they released last, they change it up. This week for instance, they've decided to let their AI take over everything. So whilst Cheese likes their Discovery Weekly feature, I'm annoyed because I can't find my playlists because they've decided to give that real estate over to whatever playlists their robot has come up with. When I finally find my playlists, I see that they've managed to cram the damn AI generated playlists that I've listened to into "My Playlists".

In short, Spotify is a lot like M$ Office. It peaked at some point like 10 versions ago, but they just keep messing with a good thing. At the same time, its a lot better/cheaper than anything else I've used and I'm not leaving it.

I actually have a similar complaint about Netflix's interface on the Roku.

I also cosign all of these complaints, but I don't want to go back to managing a thousand CDs, using my old 300 disc changer, or finding a new streaming service. And don't get me started on iTunes.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby TheWolf » 30 Mar 2017, 21:42

Bacon, you're not fooling anyone by pretending to be a 56-year-old named Gordon. Any replies yet?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mister bacon » 31 Mar 2017, 07:33

TheWolf wrote:Bacon, you're not fooling anyone by pretending to be a 56-year-old named Gordon. Any replies yet?

mister bacon has artist passes \:D/

VIP is for chumps because all it does is get you slightly better snacks, a shorter line to buy alcohol, and an opportunity to see C :-w list celebs. [-X

..because the As and Bs all have artist passes :-w
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JT99 » 31 Mar 2017, 08:09

mister bacon wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Bacon, you're not fooling anyone by pretending to be a 56-year-old named Gordon. Any replies yet?

mister bacon has artist passes \:D/

VIP is for chumps because all it does is get you slightly better snacks, a shorter line to buy alcohol, and an opportunity to see C :-w list celebs. [-X

..because the As and Bs all have artist passes :-w

That alone eliminates from being for chumps [/sotsg]
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby SouthernYokel » 24 Apr 2017, 07:07

If i were ever in one of those mob situations where i have to prove i'm legit by murdering a snitch, i could go through with it if they let me play Cowboys from Hell.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby chrisco » 27 Apr 2017, 19:31

I had no idea that the great Chaka Khan jam, Feel For You was a Prince cover.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby mister bacon » 15 May 2017, 09:50

chrisco wrote:I had no idea that the great Chaka Khan jam, Feel For You was a Prince cover.

depending on the day i go back and forth as to the best version.

the tom petty album wildflowers is about 7 songs too long. it couldve been his best album if the 90s "hey we have way more space to record so lets just put all the songs on the album" conceit had not kicked in and convinced him to put 15 tracks on it.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby chrisco » 15 May 2017, 09:53

mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:I had no idea that the great Chaka Khan jam, Feel For You was a Prince cover.

the tom petty album wildflowers is about 7 songs too long. it couldve been his best album if the 90s "hey we have way more space to record so lets just put all the songs on the album" conceit had not kicked in and convinced him to put 15 tracks on it.

The last time I fake BO'ed, I got into a really heated argument about Wildflowers and that he should have never made that piece of shit to begin with. It was one of the odder things to care about, and a taek I'm now condemned to defend the rest of my life.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby mister bacon » 15 May 2017, 10:00

chrisco wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

The last time I fake BO'ed, I got into a really heated argument about Wildflowers and that he should have never made that piece of shit to begin with. It was one of the odder things to care about, and a taek I'm now condemned to defend the rest of my life.

the first five songs on wildflowers are great bordering on perfect country rock. everything else after that is meh to meh minus. if it were an EP with those five songs it would be a classic. what's not to like about any of those five joints?

edit: only a broken heart is very good too, but not near those first five imo

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby mj3528 » 15 May 2017, 10:02

mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

the first five songs on wildflowers are great bordering on perfect country rock. everything else after that is meh to meh minus. if it were an EP with those five songs it would be a classic. what's not to like about any of those five joints?

There is nothing fantastic about any Tom Petty songs. They are just sort of there. Except for American Girl. I like that one.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby the cheese » 15 May 2017, 10:03

mj3528 wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

There is nothing fantastic about any Tom Petty songs. They are just sort of there. Except for American Girl. I like that one.

This is a terrible take and you should be ashamed.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby mister bacon » 15 May 2017, 10:07

mj3528 wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

congratulations on serving up a taek that immediately rockets up to the top five of worst sotsg taeks (non-sports) ever, mj.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby SouthernYokel » 15 May 2017, 10:07

i feel the same way about tom petty that i do about ac/dc. the music is fine but it's kind of boring.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

PreviousNext

Return to Music