Random Thoughts -- The Music Edition

Re: Random Thoughts -- The Music Edition

Postby chrisco » 15 May 2017, 10:08

the cheese wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:I had no idea that the great Chaka Khan jam, Feel For You was a Prince cover.

depending on the day i go back and forth as to the best version.

the tom petty album wildflowers is about 7 songs too long. it couldve been his best album if the 90s "hey we have way more space to record so lets just put all the songs on the album" conceit had not kicked in and convinced him to put 15 tracks on it.

The last time I fake BO'ed, I got into a really heated argument about Wildflowers and that he should have never made that piece of shit to begin with. It was one of the odder things to care about, and a taek I'm now condemned to defend the rest of my life.

the first five songs on wildflowers are great bordering on perfect country rock. everything else after that is meh to meh minus. if it were an EP with those five songs it would be a classic. what's not to like about any of those five joints?

There is nothing fantastic about any Tom Petty songs. They are just sort of there. Except for American Girl. I like that one.

This is a terrible take and you should be ashamed.

You Don't Know How It Feels is classic Petty and a great song. You Wreck Me is not bad, but I liked it better when it was called RUNNING DOWN A DREAM.

I like my Petty full of jangly guitars and vaguely new wave synths. The mellow country stuff is hot garbage fit for a Starbucks.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby mister bacon » 15 May 2017, 10:17

chrisco wrote:
the cheese wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:I had no idea that the great Chaka Khan jam, Feel For You was a Prince cover.

the tom petty album wildflowers is about 7 songs too long. it couldve been his best album if the 90s "hey we have way more space to record so lets just put all the songs on the album" conceit had not kicked in and convinced him to put 15 tracks on it.

The last time I fake BO'ed, I got into a really heated argument about Wildflowers and that he should have never made that piece of shit to begin with. It was one of the odder things to care about, and a taek I'm now condemned to defend the rest of my life.

the first five songs on wildflowers are great bordering on perfect country rock. everything else after that is meh to meh minus. if it were an EP with those five songs it would be a classic. what's not to like about any of those five joints?

There is nothing fantastic about any Tom Petty songs. They are just sort of there. Except for American Girl. I like that one.

You Don't Know How It Feels is classic Petty and a great song. You Wreck Me is not bad, but I liked it better when it was called RUNNING DOWN A DREAM.

I like my Petty full of jangly guitars and vaguely new wave synths. The mellow country stuff is hot garbage fit for a Starbucks.

that's a fair taek. i like the mellow shit for what it is. perfect for fishing, camping, and long car rides thru our beautiful rustic countryside :sniff:
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby SouthernYokel » 15 May 2017, 15:36

Chance the rapper is shitty right? I don't get his whole thing.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 15 May 2017, 15:44

SouthernYokel wrote:Chance the rapper is shitty right? I don't get his whole thing.

I think he does a lot of work in the community. Because that's what people care about.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby mister bacon » 15 May 2017, 15:46

SouthernYokel wrote:Chance the rapper is shitty right? I don't get his whole thing.

he's a likeable nice-ish black rapper so too many white people like him now and it's time for the backlash. according to the internet at least.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby babylurch » 15 May 2017, 16:39

mister bacon wrote:

he's a likeable nice-ish black rapper so too many white people like him now and it's time for the backlash. according to the internet at least.

The blacklash?
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby SouthernYokel » 16 May 2017, 07:49

mister bacon wrote:

damn, i didn't know that. i don't like being on the internet hate wave. but i do think he's not very good at rapping.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby chrisco » 16 May 2017, 09:39

I've been revisiting the classic (ok, well received) Spoon album, Gimme Fiction.

Been enjoying it quite a bit lately, particularly how the tracks all flow together. One of the challenges that I've had with modern music (both listening habits and what's being produced) is that I'm often drawing a blank when I want to listen to a full album, but not listen to one of the 10 I've heard 5 billion times. Gimme Fiction accomplishes that.

As a follow up thought, I don't dislike their other stuff but it never clicked for me like this album does. There was a moment in time where the Spoon's and Modest Mouse's of the world put out some very poppy and popular works of fuzzy self loathing that I think was uniquely received in the post 9/11 Bush 2 years. This run of popularity was eventually subsumed by anthemic blowhards Coldplay and U2 (part 4) who served to push self hating music back underground, and bridge us into this period of Bey and EDM where we use the hashtag of #Wellness to pretend that the techno/libertarian erosion of interpersonal bonds and social safety nets is not happening.

Seems like we are due for a load of popular self loathing again. I for one welcome this generation's Kurt Cobain, maybe we'll get some decent full lengths again.

- Chuck Scolesterman
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby SouthernYokel » 16 May 2017, 10:04

hmm, i bet i have 5 or less albums that i will listen to all the way through anymore*.

Weezer Blue Album
Cake Fashion Nugget
Notorious BIG Ready to Die (caveat, i get to skip the interludes. fuckin 90's rap interludes, what was that shit)
Pearl Jam VS
Beatles Abbey Rd
Queen A Night at the Opera

OK, 6.

*there is not actually a time where i would have an hour and a half during the day to listen to a whole album uninterrupted but that's beside the point
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby CourtesyFlush » 16 May 2017, 10:07

Pretty good con_tent idea, yokel.

I'll go with:

Led Zeppelin - IV
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Pearl Jam - Ten
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mister bacon » 16 May 2017, 10:28

SouthernYokel wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

damn, i didn't know that. i don't like being on the internet hate wave. but i do think he's not very good at rapping.

his style has evolved into something different than it was a couple years ago. but his best stuff is the weird shit he does thats not really radio friendly. weird chance > pop chance basically.

ft kaytranada (club banger and watching about 10k dance to this during kaytranada's set at coachella was fucking amazing)
(side note, jeremih part is real good in this song too.)

i'm not saying that you're wrong (i mean it's your taste you can like whatever you want) but before you dismiss what you've heard on the radio try listening to some of these less conventional tracks and see if you like em because thats why i love him.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby SouthernYokel » 16 May 2017, 15:36

i know Juice. i think i just don't like his voice. which is not his fault, but it's not for me.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mister bacon » 16 May 2017, 15:42

SouthernYokel wrote:i know Juice. i think i just don't like his voice. which is not his fault, but it's not for me.

yeah i can see that. i can't stand drake for lots of reasons but his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. i fucking can't stand it. hated nelly for the same reason.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby bosux » 16 May 2017, 17:01

mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:
the cheese wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

that's a fair taek. i like the mellow shit for what it is. perfect for fishing, camping, and long car rides thru our beautiful rustic countryside :sniff:

'breakdown' is an all time groove...now one can deny this
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby chrisco » 20 Jun 2017, 12:15

Random thought about the White Stripes....Have you ever met a passionate White Stripes fan? Do you ever think to pull them up and give them a listen?

For a band that had a lot of hits, put on a good live show, and still gets a fair amount of radio (and a ton of stadium) play, I think they are sort of forgotten. Maybe its because they were a pair of weirdos, maybe its because Jack White did 10 other side projects, but there's something about the White Stripes that I can't put my finger on. They certainly got their due, and I'm not suggesting that they didn't, but compare them to say the Pixies or Van Halen and 9 out of 10 people will pick either of those bands as mattering more.

Ok, so I've formed my taek here. I think they had very little influence on rock because they were a basic blues rock outfit. Now that they are dunzo, we'll hear their songs and think of them the same way we think of Huey Lewis and the News.

Thanks SOTSG.com Random Thoughts thread for allowing me to work this one out. Good talk. See you out there.
chrisco
Madoff

PreviousNext

Return to Music