Music News (sadly, with no Kurt Loder)

Re: Music News (sadly, with no Kurt Loder)

Postby Dthefritz » 21 May 2017, 13:19

TheWolf wrote:Your honesty is refreshing. In my experience, self-awareness is not a common trait among semi-pretentious dickbags with ideas about music.

Although you did nail one of my favorite music dickbag characteristics - unilaterally declaring that a band's most popular song is a piece of shit.

I'm someone who came to Soundgarden after their peak, for reasons of age, not I'm-cooler-than-everyone. Although I certainly have some of that in me.

To my mind, there are four general categories of most popular song being hated:
1 - A song that was by far the band's most commercial, gay-ass song, and would probably have been hated even if it hadn't been overplayed to hell a zillion times and back. Think Wonderwall.
2 - A song that is generally well-liked, but a vocal minority can't stand it, for generally defensible reasons. I'm sure there are better examples, but I put Imagine in this category.
3 - A song that's somewhere from mediocre to good that was just beaten to death until people hated it. This is where I put Black Hole Sun.
4 - Song that people are purely hating to try and look cool. I know it's not anywhere near as big a hit as any of the other ones, but to bring it back to irrelevant 90's bands, I'd put Rooster by Alice in Chains here. I get not liking the band as a whole, sure. I get thinking this isn't their best song and that others should have received more radio play. But this has everything people like about the band in it, the raw jagged emotion, the soaring vocal harmonies, the retro guitar-effects. Maybe a little cleaned up, but not too far off from songs no fan of the band will ever hate on. The song was played at least on my local rock station well into the 2000's, and so I got a ton of shit for liking it. Obviously there are songs that I'd put in categories 1-3 that others would put here, but just my two cents.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby SouthernYokel » 22 May 2017, 07:35

Yeah black hole sun is absolutely a hateable song. It got played to death, mostly because the video was really cool. Without that video i dont think it would have been so ubiquitous
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby paje » 22 May 2017, 08:42

In my time of dying was the last song they played the night he killed himself.
paje
Another dude worth meeting

Postby the cheese » 22 May 2017, 08:48

paje wrote:In my time of dying was the last song they played the night he killed himself.

Ativan is a helluva drug.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby TheWolf » 22 May 2017, 08:53

paje wrote:In my time of dying was the last song they played the night he killed himself.

I would have guessed Pretty Noose.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 22 May 2017, 08:59

Cornell had the voice of an angel. His voice was like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Magnum » 22 May 2017, 09:57

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Cornell had the voice of an angel. His voice was like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.

He really did. :sniff:
Gregs Kite - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Why am I making a Bitches post again?
BigJohnStudd - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Because you're a bitch.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby the cheese » 22 May 2017, 11:23

Magnum wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Cornell had the voice of an angel. His voice was like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.

The random celebrities Mags loves crack me up.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby TheWolf » 22 May 2017, 11:47

the cheese wrote:
Magnum wrote:

Who else is on this list?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 22 May 2017, 11:59

TheWolf wrote:
the cheese wrote:
Magnum wrote:

Brendan Fraser
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Magnum » 22 May 2017, 12:03

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
the cheese wrote:
Magnum wrote:

Brendan Fraser

At least the people I like are adults.
Gregs Kite - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Why am I making a Bitches post again?
BigJohnStudd - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Because you're a bitch.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 22 May 2017, 12:11

Magnum wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
the cheese wrote:
Magnum wrote:

Brendan Fraser

At least the people I like are adults.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby chrisco » 22 May 2017, 12:17

In fairness, Brendan Fraser is pretty awesome. He should have been a bigger actor...not really, I think his career is about right for him. Still <3 that dude.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby JT99 » 22 May 2017, 12:52

chrisco wrote:In fairness, Brendan Fraser is pretty awesome. He should have been a bigger actor...not really, I think his career is about right for him. Still <3 that dude.

In double reverse fairness, she didn't introduce Fraser as someone whose work she admired, but rather as one of her "crushes".

Unconventional choice, but I applaud her for it.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby the cheese » 22 May 2017, 13:18

JT99 wrote:
chrisco wrote:In fairness, Brendan Fraser is pretty awesome. He should have been a bigger actor...not really, I think his career is about right for him. Still <3 that dude.

In double reverse fairness, she didn't introduce Fraser as someone whose work she admired, but rather as one of her "crushes".

Unconventional choice, but I applaud her for it.

A. Brendan Fraser has been a goddamn hollywood icon since he stepped on the scene in Encino Man. School Ties was a classic. The Mummy and to a lesser degree the Mummy Returns are masterpieces. Dude is 100% Grade A dorky beefcake.

2. Doesn't she love Rafa Nadal?

D. The flipside of this is dudes she hates. Also hilarious, slightly illogical.
the cheese
The Douche

PreviousNext

Return to Music