Music News (sadly, with no Kurt Loder)

Re: Music News (sadly, with no Kurt Loder)

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 18 May 2017, 04:50

Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby CourtesyFlush » 18 May 2017, 08:19

Dr Jeckyll wrote:chris Cornell dead

Let's check in on the early 90s grunge bands and the status of their lead singers:

Nirvana - Kurt Cobain DEAD
Stone Temple Pilots - Scott Weiland DEAD
Soundgarden - Chris Cornell DEAD
Alice in Chains - Layne Staley DEAD

Pearl Jam - Eddie Vedder
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 18 May 2017, 08:27

:lol:
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby TheWolf » 18 May 2017, 08:31

I am not 100% certain, but I believe all of those deceased men struggled with opiate addiction. This seems to support theory I put forth in the shoutbox this morning, that there might be some correlation between heavy drug use and a short life span. I'll do some more research and get back to you guys.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby jman » 18 May 2017, 08:52

CourtesyFlush wrote:

Let's check in on the early 90s grunge bands and the status of their lead singers:

Pearl Jam - Eddie Vedder

yup, and I forgot about Weiland. Guess you could have thrown in Billy Corgan too but that would have ruined the joke. He and Vedder must have the magic of the Cubs protecting them.
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby the cheese » 18 May 2017, 08:58

Don't forget Bradley Nowell and Shannon Hoon (cocaine division)
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby SouthernYokel » 18 May 2017, 09:00

CourtesyFlush wrote:

Pearl Jam - Eddie Vedder

:lol: :lol: :lol: possibly Curt's best post ever, and it's hidden over here in the music news thread.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TheWolf » 18 May 2017, 09:03

the cheese wrote:Don't forget Bradley Nowell and Shannon Hoon (cocaine division)

I'd have to know who they were to forget about them.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 18 May 2017, 09:04

Sublime and Bling Melon
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby TheWolf » 18 May 2017, 09:07

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Sublime and Bling Melon

TY. I googled that after posting that I didn't know who they were. I have, of course, heard of those bands. And I do recall that somewhere deep down I knew the Sublime guy's name was Bradley, but I didn't make the connection.

I assume Bling Melon is a Blind Melon cover band that plays instruments covered in diamonds and gold?
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dthefritz » 18 May 2017, 20:29

CourtesyFlush wrote:

Pearl Jam - Eddie Vedder

This was good.

Anyway, here are some fresh and highly relevant Soundgarden opinions.

Best Song - Burden in My Hand. Explained in the box. Just the right amount of over the top, meaningless lyrics and MONSTER chorus.

Most Overrated Song - Spoonman. Just boring and repetitive to me. Never saw what the fuss is.

Random Song That I Like more than most people - 4th of July. Said something different in the Box. Whatever. I like this one.

Self-pitying adolescent crap but still holds up surprisingly well: Blow up the Outside World.

Best Guitar Riff: Holy Water. Simple, heavy, endlessly repeatable. TRU Guitar players know what I mean. Or don't have this in the Top 5. IDK.

Best Guitar Solo: Like Suicide. Another underrated song, though it drags on a bit to be in their top tier. Solo is nails doe.

Best Black Sabbath Song that Black Sabbath Never Wrote: Mailman
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby SouthernYokel » 19 May 2017, 14:21

my favorite was Alive in the Superunknown. i liked a lot of their stuff as a teenager but have listened to none of it since then. in fact, the only reason i remember Alive in the Superunknown was my favorite is all the tributes going around. otherwise i would not have recalled.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Dthefritz » 20 May 2017, 15:05

SouthernYokel wrote:my favorite was Alive in the Superunknown. i liked a lot of their stuff as a teenager but have listened to none of it since then. in fact, the only reason i remember Alive in the Superunknown was my favorite is all the tributes going around. otherwise i would not have recalled.

As much as I liked their music, it similarly had no staying power for me past teenhood.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby chrisco » 20 May 2017, 16:19

Dthefritz wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:my favorite was Alive in the Superunknown. i liked a lot of their stuff as a teenager but have listened to none of it since then. in fact, the only reason i remember Alive in the Superunknown was my favorite is all the tributes going around. otherwise i would not have recalled.

As much as I liked their music, it similarly had no staying power for me past teenhood.

Since I was (and still am) a semi-pretentious dickbag with ideas about music, I didn't give Soundgarden much credence in high school. They grew on me as I got older, became a more self aware dickbag, and the echo of Black Hole Sun faded from the popular consciousness.

Anyway, Outshined was my favorite track, then give me Pretty Noose and Rusty Cage.

This however has been stuck in my head today thanks to all the tributes:

The worst I've caught this weekend was an acoustic version of Redemption Song.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby TheWolf » 21 May 2017, 07:33

Your honesty is refreshing. In my experience, self-awareness is not a common trait among semi-pretentious dickbags with ideas about music.

Although you did nail one of my favorite music dickbag characteristics - unilaterally declaring that a band's most popular song is a piece of shit.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

PreviousNext

Return to Music