The Official Hip-Hop Thread

Re: The Official Hip-Hop Thread

Postby CourtesyFlush » 02 Dec 2016, 11:34

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:bacon: Do we like the new Tribe album?

I have a couple friends that swear by Tribe, loved them since they were hatched. They say this album is good.

I liked Tribe, but was never that into them. I think this CD stinks. Its super boring and stupid. I think theres maybe 1 track thats OK.

I'm keeping my eye on this post.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mister bacon » 02 Dec 2016, 11:37

I have a couple friends that swear by Tribe, loved them since they were hatched. They say this album is good.

I liked Tribe, but was never that into them. I think this CD stinks. Its super boring and stupid. I think theres maybe 1 track thats OK.

if you didnt already like tribe this album wouldn't turn you into a fan. if you already liked them this was good, but not as great as their timeless classics. this was a great year in terms of rap, so it suffers a bit in comparison to everything else that came out in 2016. i don't think this one will move the needle in terms of their career too much. if this were a steely dan album it would be two against nature: nothing groundbreaking, but a solid effort. i give it a B.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby CourtesyFlush » 02 Dec 2016, 11:39

mister bacon wrote:

if you didnt already like tribe this album wouldn't turn you into a fan. if you already liked them this was good, but not as great as their timeless classics. this was a great year in terms of rap, so it suffers a bit in comparison to everything else that came out in 2016. i don't think this one will move the needle in terms of their career too much. if this were a steely dan album it would be two against nature: nothing groundbreaking, but a solid effort. i give it a B.

So...something on par with Love Movement or Beats, Rhymes, and Life right? Not bad, but nowhere near the first three they released.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mister bacon » 02 Dec 2016, 12:22

CourtesyFlush wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

So...something on par with Love Movement or Beats, Rhymes, and Life right? Not bad, but nowhere near the first three they released.

that's precisely it. they're held to an unfair standard because their first 3 albums are legit classics that changed the game. no one can touch that level of genuis again because its the result of particular circumstances that will never exist again. but this is a good album!

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby mister bacon » 06 Dec 2016, 11:09

i've enjoyed dong lover's music in a very passive way so far, but never really found anything that wowed me until now. he put an album last week that's a funk-R&B mashup collection where he sings and it's fucking outstanding. i know you think this is the most unlikely shit for me to say ever but i had no idea childish gambino had it in him. he should stop rapping, and start doing this from now on. in particular, i enjoyed the drums and the guitars, which sound like they were ripped off an al green album.

the album is called Awaken My Love, and i recommend this for fulsh, mtm, ftt, rod farv, sco, kite, goose, and wolf among others. not recommended for balls because its good so he will hate it.

the best way i can describe it is if someone put sly and the family stone, andre 3 stacks the love below, prince, and p-funk into a blender and dropped some molly into it. good shit.

bonus beat:

him singing the pm dawn classic i'd die without you, which is not on the album but may entice you to listen to it if you were on the fence:

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 06 Dec 2016, 11:17

PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 06 Dec 2016, 11:20

mister bacon wrote:i've enjoyed dong lover's music in a very passive way so far, but never really found anything that wowed me until now. he put an album last week that's a funk-R&B mashup collection where he sings and it's fucking outstanding. i know you think this is the most unlikely shit for me to say ever but i had no idea childish gambino had it in him. he should stop rapping, and start doing this from now on. in particular, i enjoyed the drums and the guitars, which sound like they were ripped off an al green album.

the album is called Awaken My Love, and i recommend this for fulsh, mtm, ftt, rod farv, sco, kite, goose, and wolf among others. not recommended for balls because its good so he will hate it.

the best way i can describe it is if someone put sly and the family stone, andre 3 stacks the love below, prince, and p-funk into a blender and dropped some molly into it. good shit.

bonus beat:

him singing the pm dawn classic i'd die without you, which is not on the album but may entice you to listen to it if you were on the fence:

Was just reading a couple of Best Of lists today and had been meaning to check this out. Will peep the vids when I have time, and see if I like it.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Frank the Tank » 16 Dec 2016, 11:32

Me too. Looking forward to listening to this.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 16 Dec 2016, 11:53

I cam across that PM Dawn cover thanks to this powerful and haunting long form on Prince Be :sniff:

https://medium.com/cuepoint/set-adrift- ... .nn2sh7lvr
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby mister bacon » 17 Jan 2017, 16:52

so young thug (affectionately known to his fans as thugger or tugger) released a mixtape last year called jeffery. he wore a dress on the cover but the tape is fire. he has a unique and fun style that sounds like no one else out there right now. elton john is a yuuuuge fan of his! good stuff. check out the whole mixtape. all the tracks are named after his inspiration and heroes.

anyway, he made a video for the song he made called wyclef jean that even those who really hate rap will love because a) hot women b) driving power wheels cars for kids c) he didn't show up for the shoot on time so it's a meta-video about how they couldn't make the video that somehow turned out fucking hilarious and amazing.

enjoy.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby TheWolf » 17 Jan 2017, 21:23

I enjoyed watching it for the reasons you mentioned. That was well done and humorous. Plus hot chicks.

I did not enjoy listening to it.

Also, face does not rhyme with sleep.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby the cheese » 18 Jan 2017, 09:44

I like this song.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby mister bacon » 18 Jan 2017, 09:57

the cheese wrote:I like this song.

the whole tape is excellent. highly recommend it. at least five or six great cardio tracks. plus you can lose yourself in listening for the bizarre rhymes he puts together like face and slaaaaape scheme wolf loved so much and run for 45 minutes before you know it.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby chrisco » 25 Jan 2017, 16:15

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:
mister bacon wrote:i've enjoyed dong lover's music in a very passive way so far, but never really found anything that wowed me until now. he put an album last week that's a funk-R&B mashup collection where he sings and it's fucking outstanding. i know you think this is the most unlikely shit for me to say ever but i had no idea childish gambino had it in him. he should stop rapping, and start doing this from now on. in particular, i enjoyed the drums and the guitars, which sound like they were ripped off an al green album.

bonus beat:

Was just reading a couple of Best Of lists today and had been meaning to check this out. Will peep the vids when I have time, and see if I like it.

So I am working my way into this album.

Pros - like the Isaac Hayes/Al Green/Sly meets Aquemini vibe of the music. It sets a mood and puts you apart from everything else that's going on around you. I'm feeling this on my morning walk into work. I also like the juxtaposition of 70's music with modern issues. Zombies is about cookies and ad tech right?

Cons - His vocals have a shelf life for me. He's got a squeaky scratchy thing that starts wearing on me about the fourth song. Maybe I'll get over that, tivo knows we've all listened to worst for far longer.

On the whole, I am happy for this rec and believe it will be a steady in my rotation.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 Jan 2017, 16:30

STL rapper tragically gunned down outside of a Hooter's this weekend.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
He kinda sucked.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

PreviousNext

Return to Music