25 years ago today

Re: 25 years ago today

Postby Rodney Farva » 09 Dec 2005, 08:20

WampaOne wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:hey, i saw U2 in hartford. 21 years ago. :oops:

So you are one of the lucky people to see them when they were really good and not a mockery of themselves...(wating for Firstborn angry U2 smackdown in 5, 4, 3, 2, ....). Now seriously, IIRC, that was the first US U2 tour, right?

i don't think it was their first US tour. they had released the unforgettable fire that year, so they were certainly already well established. they had to have toured after the previous albums.

lone justice was the opening act, so a big shout-out to all you maria mckee fans out there. both of you.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rickey Sez » 09 Dec 2005, 10:19

I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby JichaelDick » 07 Dec 2010, 23:50

Really? Five years ago since that jackass JohnnyDamon wrote this?

Not really a huge fan of his music. Although "How Do You Sleep" and "Instant Karma" weren't awful. "Imagine" is the most maudlin piece of garbage ever written and/or sang, however. Shame that he got shot, though (although frankly, it may have been an improvement over living with Yoko).
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Dunking Donut » 08 Dec 2010, 07:01

I like Lennon's post-Beatles stuff way more than the Beatles. Probably over-saturation. It's political, personal, mellow...it's pretty cool. Wasn't a favorite growing up in our house but over the years you can appreciate the whole thing.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby babylurch » 08 Dec 2010, 07:24

Rodney Farva wrote:
WampaOne wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:hey, i saw U2 in hartford. 21 years ago. :oops:

So you are one of the lucky people to see them when they were really good and not a mockery of themselves...(wating for Firstborn angry U2 smackdown in 5, 4, 3, 2, ....). Now seriously, IIRC, that was the first US U2 tour, right?

i don't think it was their first US tour. they had released the unforgettable fire that year, so they were certainly already well established. they had to have toured after the previous albums.

lone justice was the opening act, so a big shout-out to all you maria mckee fans out there. both of you.

I was at the U2 show. Really good one. I was surprised Lone Justice did not end up doing better.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Dec 2010, 08:28

JichaelDick wrote:Really? Five years ago since that jackass JohnnyDamon wrote this?

Not really a huge fan of his music. Although "How Do You Sleep" and "Instant Karma" weren't awful. "Imagine" is the most maudlin piece of garbage ever written and/or sang, however. Shame that he got shot, though (although frankly, it may have been an improvement over living with Yoko).

Ummm........no? No it's not?

RIP John, you idealistic sap.

MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby JichaelDick » 08 Dec 2010, 11:58

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:Really? Five years ago since that jackass JohnnyDamon wrote this?

I stand by it. The song blows and is always played when some tragedy happens and makes me angry. Plus, Lennon was singing that song in a friggin' mansion! The whole song is about no possessions and shit.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby TheWolf » 08 Dec 2010, 12:01

The song's about Communism. Fuck that.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Dec 2010, 12:11

JichaelDick wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:

I stand by it. The song blows and is always played when some tragedy happens and makes me angry. Plus, Lennon was singing that song in a friggin' mansion! The whole song is about no possessions and shit.

I'll give you all that, but, there's way, way, waaaaaaaaay worse maudlin garbage than Imagine (i.e; wind beneath my wings.) And it's still a pretty good song...wouldn't crack my top 5, maybe top 10 of Lennon songs, but it's not bad.

And Wolf's right, it's about communism. Which gives it bonus points. Sure, communism has never worked when actually practiced, but neither has capitalism.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby JichaelDick » 08 Dec 2010, 12:18

OK, maybe I shoulda said it's the most overplayed piece of maudlin garbage ever. Because Wind Beneath My Wings is pretty awful. As is You Raise Me Up
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby TheWolf » 08 Dec 2010, 12:49

I actually don't have anything against Imagine, and I definitely wouldn't call it the most maudlin piece of garbage I've ever heard. But fuck Communism anyway.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JichaelDick » 08 Dec 2010, 19:03

I do think, however, that Mark David Chapman might be my least favorite murderer ever. Worshipping Holden Caulfeld and using a 14-year-old quote that may or may not have been taken out of context as your justification? Come on, man, at least claim to have an unnatural love of Yoko or even Sean or Julian. It'd have been much more believable.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Rodney Farva » 08 Dec 2010, 23:32

JichaelDick wrote:I do think, however, that Mark David Chapman might be my least favorite murderer ever.

and who is your favorite murderer?
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby JichaelDick » 09 Dec 2010, 01:08

Rodney Farva wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:I do think, however, that Mark David Chapman might be my least favorite murderer ever.

Without question, Christopher Scarver.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Prez » 10 Dec 2010, 07:59

JichaelDick wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

Without question, Christopher Scarver.

He's my favorite murderer ever too! Definitely a first rounder in next year's murder fantasy draft.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

PreviousNext

Return to Music