25 years ago today

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Dec 2005, 15:09

Briandean79 wrote:
Big Scary Monster wrote:
JohnnyDamon wrote: My gut says there woulda been a Beatles World Tour in the '80s or '90s had Lennon not been killed.

I'm with you on this one. There were some discussions prior to his death about potential tours (they were getting some very pricey offers to do one). I think over time, they would have mended fences and gone on tour. Hell, if he were alive today, I am sure Lennon would have been at the front of the war protests.

Do you remember (or have heard about) Lorne Michaels offering Lennon and McCartney something like 10 bucks to re-form the Beatles for one night and play on SNL? Supposedly, they really thought about it, with it getting as far as Paul going to Lennon's apartment and trying to convince him to do it b\c it'd be funny. In the end, Lennon said no (obviously).

It was $3000, and George actually came on and haggled with Lorne for a little while. It's on the 25th anniversary SNL dvd.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Big Scary Monster » 08 Dec 2005, 15:10

Briandean79 wrote:
Do you remember (or have heard about) Lorne Michaels offering Lennon and McCartney something like 10 bucks to re-form the Beatles for one night and play on SNL? Supposedly, they really thought about it, with it getting as far as Paul going to Lennon's apartment and trying to convince him to do it b\c it'd be funny. In the end, Lennon said no (obviously).

Actually, I did hear something like that. There have been a few different times where one of them would get an offer and start calling around to see what the other guys thought. The relationships were strained, but when it came down to it, they were all still able to talk to eachother. Even John and Paul.
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Briandong79 » 08 Dec 2005, 15:13

SY's right, it was $3,000:

April 24, 1976

BEATLES OFFER

(OPEN ON: LORNE AT DESK. THERE IS ONLY ONE CAMERA USED THROUGHOUT)

LORNE:

Hi. I'm Lorne Michaels, the producer of "Saturday Night." Right now, we're being seen by approximately twenty-two million viewers, but please allow me, if I may, to address myself to just four very special people -- John, Paul, George and Ringo -- the Beatles. Lately, there have been a lot of rumors to the effect that the four of you might be getting back together. That would be great. In my book, the Beatles are the best thing that ever happened to music. It goes even deeper than that. You're not just a musical group, you're a part of us. We grew up with you. It's for this reason that I'm inviting you to come on our show. Now, we've heard and read a lot about personality and legal conflicts that might prevent you guys from reuniting. That's something which is none of my business. That's a personal problem. You guys will have to handle that. But it's also been said that no one as yet has come up with enough money to satisfy you. Well, If it's money you want, there's no problem here. The National Broadcasting Company has authorized me to offer you this check to be on our show. (HOLDS UP CHECK) A certified check for $3,000. Here it is, right here. Dave -- can we get a close-up on this? Which camera? Oh, this one. (CAMERA MOVES IN TO SHOW CHECK) Here it is, a check made out to you, the Beatles, for $3,000. All you have to do is sing three Beatle songs.

(SINGS)

_She loves you_
_Yeah, yeah, yeah ..._

That's $1,000 right there. You know the words. It'll be easy. Like I said, this is made out to the Beatles -- you divide it up any way you want. If you want to give Ringo less, it's up to you. I'd rather not get involved. I'm sincere about this. If it helps you to reach a decision to reunite, it's well worth the investment. You have agents. You know where _I_ can be reached. Just think about it, okay? (HOLDS UP CHECK AGAIN)

Thank you.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Big Scary Monster » 08 Dec 2005, 15:18

Great find. I had totally forgotten about that! I have seen that clip. Funny stuff.
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby bostonredsox1002 » 08 Dec 2005, 18:18

I've always like the Beatles, and all classic rock for that matter. I have Abbey Road, and the album that has all their number 1 singles on it, conviniently titled one.
Ultimate Frisbee record: 1-1
Back on track son.
bostonredsox1002
Etiquette Instructor

Postby theken » 08 Dec 2005, 18:37

Celebrity Jeopardy:

Alex Trebek: The Beatles' White Album is this color.
Catherine Zeta Jones: Who are the Beatles?
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JohnnyDamon » 08 Dec 2005, 19:18

bostonredsox1002 wrote:I've always like the Beatles, and all classic rock for that matter. I have Abbey Road, and the album that has all their number 1 singles on it, conviniently titled one.

I have 1 myself. Great, great fucking album.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Re: 25 years ago today

Postby Scoring Machine » 08 Dec 2005, 23:22

Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
JohnnyDamon wrote:John Lennon was shot and killed in his apartment in NYC. Obviously, I wasn't born when this happened, but I do love the man's music (even if some of it is a little syrupy for my tastes). Anybody else have anything to say about Mr. Lennon?

I heard that last night at the U2 concert in Hartford they covered a few Beatles songs and dedicated many of the songs to Lennon. What a shitty way to go...

Getting shot, or having U2 cover your songs?

That's just funny because I was thinking the exact same thing. If i could pick one band to cover one of my songs.... u2 would be rather far down the list.
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Postby jwill » 08 Dec 2005, 23:27

Scoring Machine wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
JohnnyDamon wrote:John Lennon was shot and killed in his apartment in NYC. Obviously, I wasn't born when this happened, but I do love the man's music (even if some of it is a little syrupy for my tastes). Anybody else have anything to say about Mr. Lennon?

I heard that last night at the U2 concert in Hartford they covered a few Beatles songs and dedicated many of the songs to Lennon. What a shitty way to go...

That's just funny because I was thinking the exact same thing. If i could pick one band to cover one of my songs.... u2 would be rather far down the list.

This could definitely result in a tangent (or tantrum) from FB.
jwill
Reverend Lovejoy

Postby JohnnyDamon » 08 Dec 2005, 23:27

joshuajwill wrote:
Scoring Machine wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

This could definitely result in a tangent from FB.

I'm guessing the Godfather likes U2? Oh well, the only band that I would want covering my songs is Lynyrd Skynyrd, but that can't happen since Ronnie Van Zant has been dead for 28 years now.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby jwill » 08 Dec 2005, 23:29

JohnnyDamon wrote:
joshuajwill wrote:
Scoring Machine wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

I'm guessing the Godfather likes U2? Oh well, the only band that I would want covering my songs is Lynyrd Skynyrd, but that can't happen since Ronnie Van Zant has been dead for 28 years now.

He doesn't just like them. He like likes them.
jwill
Reverend Lovejoy

Postby JohnnyDamon » 08 Dec 2005, 23:30

joshuajwill wrote:
JohnnyDamon wrote:
joshuajwill wrote:
Scoring Machine wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

He doesn't just like them. He like likes them.

that kinda saddens me. At least he has good taste in women, though.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 09 Dec 2005, 00:36

He thinks they are better than Radiohead.:snicker:.

i could be wrong though. If I am, I am sorry for taking a shot at you.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Rodney Farva » 09 Dec 2005, 04:38

Frank the Tank wrote:.....last night at the U2 concert in Hartford.....

hey, i saw U2 in hartford. 21 years ago. :oops:

i was 14 when lennon was killed, and like all boys that age my friends and i were complete assholes, so we used to sing "imagine all the peo-ple...shooting me in the head, yah hah, ah ah ah...." sometimes i'd like to have a way-back machine to go back and have been a better person, that's one of them.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby WampaOne » 09 Dec 2005, 08:15

Rodney Farva wrote:hey, i saw U2 in hartford. 21 years ago. :oops:

So you are one of the lucky people to see them when they were really good and not a mockery of themselves...(wating for Firstborn angry U2 smackdown in 5, 4, 3, 2, ....). Now seriously, IIRC, that was the first US U2 tour, right?

I like the Beatles. I enjoy their yeah yeah yeah style better than the one they started doing in Revolver/I am a Walrus type of music. IMO, Lennon had some flaws, but I think he was mostly a great human being. I was 9 when he was shot, I remember my parents beeing really shocked and upset.
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

PreviousNext

Return to Music