25 years ago today

25 years ago today

Postby JohnnyDamon » 08 Dec 2005, 14:09

John Lennon was shot and killed in his apartment in NYC. Obviously, I wasn't born when this happened, but I do love the man's music (even if some of it is a little syrupy for my tastes). Anybody else have anything to say about Mr. Lennon?
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Dec 2005, 14:11

When he started that whole Communism thing, i was skeptical, but damn if it didn't work for about a hundred years. That's a pretty good run, considering the lack of resources they had in Russia.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Re: 25 years ago today

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Dec 2005, 14:12

JohnnyDamon wrote:John Lennon was shot and killed in his apartment in NYC. Obviously, I wasn't born when this happened, but I do love the man's music (even if some of it is a little syrupy for my tastes). Anybody else have anything to say about Mr. Lennon?

I heard that last night at the U2 concert in Hartford they covered a few Beatles songs and dedicated many of the songs to Lennon. What a shitty way to go...
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JohnnyDamon » 08 Dec 2005, 14:12

SouthernYokel wrote:When he started that whole Communism thing, i was skeptical, but damn if it didn't work for about a hundred years. That's a pretty good run, considering the lack of resources they had in Russia.

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Briandong79 » 08 Dec 2005, 14:14

Frank the Tank wrote:
JohnnyDamon wrote:John Lennon was shot and killed in his apartment in NYC. Obviously, I wasn't born when this happened, but I do love the man's music (even if some of it is a little syrupy for my tastes). Anybody else have anything to say about Mr. Lennon?

I heard that last night at the U2 concert in Hartford they covered a few Beatles songs and dedicated many of the songs to Lennon. What a shitty way to go...

Getting shot, or having U2 cover your songs?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Colonel Angus » 08 Dec 2005, 14:15

He was my first musical hero. My parents were big Beatles fans and got me interested in them before it was uncool to like what your parents liked. I was a big Lennon fan from day one - he seemed more serious than the other three. I eventually became a big George fan too, but Lennon was always my favorite. As I got older, I got more into his post-Beatles music and these days I listen to Imagine and Plastic Ono Band more than I listen to any Beatles album except maybe Revolver. Imagine is probably my favorite album with any Beatle(s) on it.

Strangely, I don't remember him dying. I was only 6 at the time, but I remember plenty of other events from around that time and before. Rolling Stone had a pretty good piece on Lennon in the most recent issue (Jay-Z on the cover.) Not much new ground broken in it, but a nice retrospective with good detail on his post-Beatles career.[/i]
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby jack_daniels » 08 Dec 2005, 14:17

Greatest Beatles album is either Abbey Road or White Album.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Dec 2005, 14:18

I was a big Abbey Road fan. Maxwell's Silver Hammer still makes me laugh.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Big Scary Monster » 08 Dec 2005, 14:30

John Lennon is one of my favorite artists and is a member of the Beatles, by far my favorite bands. There is a whole slew of "what ifs" that surround his death and a lot of individual and group potential left out there when he passed.

One of the most interesting debates that I have had with my friends lately, is if we think that he would still be married to Yoko now if he were still alive. She basically runs his legacy and is connected to him forever, but would that have been the case if he had stayed alive?

Also, would we have seen Beatles world tours (a la the Rolling Stones) if he was still alive or had still been alive in the 80's or 90's?
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Dec 2005, 14:33

Doubtful on the beatles world tours. As you say, Yoko's still around screwing up his legacy. She'd never sign off on a tour with the boys, even after 20 years. Maybe NOW she would let him do it, since George is dead and there'd be a lot of sentiment for it.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby clemensissatan » 08 Dec 2005, 14:35

I've heard that clip of Howard Cosell announcing Lennon's death something like 20 times. It didn't hit me until this anniversary just how shocking it had to be to hear it for the first time.

The Beatles were the gateway group for me. All the music that I love now came from my love for the Beatles. I have my parents to thank for that. There probably have been more charismatic, smarter, and technically accomplished musician's than Lennon, but that's not for me to judge. A great talent and a nice man whose effect on the world is measured in the people who still show up to Central Park today and everyday.

Incidentally, the Dakota (lennon's building) was so-called because when it was built (mid-to-late 1800s), it was so far away from the developed part of Manhattan (Wall St. area), that the joke was that it might as well have been in the Dakota Territory. Another piece of useless but fascinating trivia, brought to you by Satan.
Enjoy your clams, cocksuckers.
clemensissatan
Pink Helmet

Postby JohnnyDamon » 08 Dec 2005, 14:36

SouthernYokel wrote:Doubtful on the beatles world tours. As you say, Yoko's still around screwing up his legacy. She'd never sign off on a tour with the boys, even after 20 years. Maybe NOW she would let him do it, since George is dead and there'd be a lot of sentiment for it.

My guess is Lennon is, on a MUCH MUCH larger scale, like Hank Williams. Hank died before his legacy could be tarnished by other folks and singing rock and roll songs instead of the country he was known for. My gut says there woulda been a Beatles World Tour in the '80s or '90s had Lennon not been killed.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Big Scary Monster » 08 Dec 2005, 14:54

JohnnyDamon wrote: My gut says there woulda been a Beatles World Tour in the '80s or '90s had Lennon not been killed.

I'm with you on this one. There were some discussions prior to his death about potential tours (they were getting some very pricey offers to do one). I think over time, they would have mended fences and gone on tour. Hell, if he were alive today, I am sure Lennon would have been at the front of the war protests.
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JohnnyDamon » 08 Dec 2005, 14:55

Big Scary Monster wrote:
JohnnyDamon wrote: My gut says there woulda been a Beatles World Tour in the '80s or '90s had Lennon not been killed.

I'm with you on this one. There were some discussions prior to his death about potential tours (they were getting some very pricey offers to do one). I think over time, they would have mended fences and gone on tour. Hell, if he were alive today, I am sure Lennon would have been at the front of the war protests.

Absoutely. Except he would actually be credible, unlike the fucking Dixie Cunts. Although, it could lead to another Yoko/John "sex-in," which would just be flat disturbing.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Briandong79 » 08 Dec 2005, 15:07

Big Scary Monster wrote:

Do you remember (or have heard about) Lorne Michaels offering Lennon and McCartney something like 10 bucks to re-form the Beatles for one night and play on SNL? Supposedly, they really thought about it, with it getting as far as Paul going to Lennon's apartment and trying to convince him to do it b\c it'd be funny. In the end, Lennon said no (obviously).
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Next

Return to Music