What happened to music?......

Postby TheWolf » 21 Nov 2005, 11:44

I stand by my point that if a band is worth listening to, at least a handful of people I know will have heard of them. If they're not getting exposure, I'm assuming it's because more people dislike them than like them. And seeing as I'm not a huge music junkie or anything, I'm not going out of my way to check them out. Also, I do everything I can to have as little in common with __ as possible. So fuck The Wrens.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 21 Nov 2005, 12:04

well isn't that special, wolf. god i envy you.

please, don't let commercial radio be a barometer of today's music, it's only effective as a measure of lowest common denominator pop. there's a hell of a lot of great stuff out there but you have to look pretty hard for it. part of the problem is that a strong and clear FM frequency, even in smaller markets, is so valuable that it can only be owned by the larger media groups, and there is huge financial pressure to service the financing needed to acquire the stations. so you've got corporate, national ownership focused on the bottom line, which means very tight formats, voice tracking, syndication, and a huge commercial load.

another part of the problem is with the record companies who are also squeezed financially, with increased costs and reduced revenues due to changes in the way people consume music that are making the old model of buying CDs in a music store obsolete.

but don't give up hope, if you're smart enough to find your way here you're also smart enough to find a ton of music online that is interesting and different from whatever lame format your local clear channel outlet is pumping over the airwaves.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Theny » 21 Nov 2005, 12:07

Personally, I think you're way off base Wolf. The problem is that most people that buy music are way too retarded to listen to good music. I mean, Ashlee Freaking Simpson has had what, 2 number one albums already? Seriously. Ashlee Simpson. And before that it was Britney, Christina Aguilera, N'Sync, and so on. All people seem to care about nowadays is how well they can dance and how they look, not what their songs are about or if they can even write a song or play an instrument even. This leaves absolutely no room for these indie bands to flourish. And all this is complicated by the fact that people are way too lazy to go find their own good music. They just mindlessly let the radio and MTV pick their music for them. A buddy of mine and I got into a similar argument last year about Modest Mouse. He said if they were so good, why weren't they on MTV? So then a couple of months later they were on MTV and the radio and everything else, and only then did he buy the album (which, ironically, was the worst album Modest Mouse has made to date).
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby TheWolf » 21 Nov 2005, 12:24

Let me rephrase a little bit. I absolutely agree that the majority of music that makes it to the radio these days is 100% Grade A Garbage. But I've never been much a music guy. I don't go out of my way to look for new stuff to listen to. So if a band doesn't make it to the radio (or at least to a level where people I regularly hang out with have their album or something), I'm not gonna listen to them. It doesn't necessarily mean they're not worth listening to. But there has to be some reason why they don't get at least semi-mainstream. Whatever that reason may be, it's preventing them from getting to my ears, because like I said, I'm not the type to go out looking for new music to listen to. I'm perfectly content to listen to the old stuff that I already know I like.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby jack_daniels » 22 Nov 2005, 00:50

It's not that hard to find new music though. YOu can use any file-sharing program they have out these days. DC++, Limewire, Ares, Kazaa, you name it. They have an amazing database of obscure and quality music, that semi-mainstream and mainstream radio can't play for the reasons Farva outlined. Then it's all a matter of going thru the Internets for reviews of albums, or just plain trial and error, until it suits your tastes. You shouldn't end your search for good music at the radio, because youre too lazy. That's why you hear all the cynics say that music these days is garbage. Bullshit. If you bothered to look for it, there is a huge goldmine of good popular music out there.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Rodney Farva » 22 Nov 2005, 03:34

here's an even easier way to do it: go to kexp.org and listen. try it for a few days (though look at their schedule, you might come across a program of obscure techno/trance/electronica that you'll hate). i'm sure you'll find some interesting stuff that you'll like.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 22 Nov 2005, 09:29

As usual, you missed my fucking point __. I don't want to go out of my way to find new music because I just don't care enough about music to do that. It has nothing to do with being lazy. I'm happy listening to the music that I know I like. If something new comes on the radio that I like (which almost never happens), I'll gladly listen to that too. But I just don't have any desire to actually look for new artists that I've never heard of. Music isn't nearly that important to me.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Sugarthief15 » 22 Nov 2005, 20:31

I was horrified to check out this thread and find that Theny has pretty much summed up my feelings already.

Fuck MTV. The whole idea of it when it was first created was that it was supposed to be edgy, anti-status quo. Stick it to the Man, blah blah blah. Now it basically IS the Man.
Sugarthief15
Hope College Alum

Postby theken » 22 Nov 2005, 20:32

"What's rock and roll all about?"
"Stickin' it to the man!"
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Theny » 22 Nov 2005, 20:42

Sugarthief15 wrote:I was horrified to check out this thread and find that Theny has pretty much summed up my feelings already.

Fuck MTV. The whole idea of it when it was first created was that it was supposed to be edgy, anti-status quo. Stick it to the Man, blah blah blah. Now it basically IS the Man.

I agree that MTV is basically the Man, but Laguna Beach and Real World (I know you are all looking forward to my weekly sonopsis tomorrow) effing rule. :)

And I'm glad we agree on something, Thief.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Sugarthief15 » 22 Nov 2005, 21:06

I've never really watched Laguna Beach, but The Real World is definitely addicting.

And Wolf - I know what you mean about the radio. I don't listen to it anymore. The chance that I might hear a decent new artist just wasn't worth hearing one more damn song by Kelly Clarkson.
Sugarthief15
Hope College Alum

Postby JohnnyDamon » 22 Nov 2005, 21:09

The Beatles, Hank Williams, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Johnny Cash, AC/DC, and G 'n' R are the CDs of choice in the Damon-mobile...if I listen to the radio, it's either gonna be on the local sports talk shows or a football game :lol:
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Scoring Machine » 22 Nov 2005, 23:54

The rock stations on the East Coast/Canada must really fucking suck. The ones in the northwest aren't THAT bad. The 'alternative' channel in portland actually plays alternative music, shit that you'd never find on MTV. And the Hard rock station doesn't play Nu Metal or boy band punk, rather stuff like Sabbath, Hendrix, Floyd, AC/DC, up through the grunge era of Nirvana, AIC, Soundgarden and the modern hard rock bands that aren't fags like Tool.
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Postby theken » 23 Nov 2005, 00:33

Radio stations here are the absolute crap. They just downright suck. Play some Nickelback, some Gwen Stefani, some more Nickelback. I hate damn Nickelback.
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby sportsdorkhater » 23 Nov 2005, 00:38

F nickelback. they are so fucking horrible. canada's gift to the US :roll:
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

PreviousNext

Return to Music