MQM Goonery - the travel advice thread

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: MQM Goonery - the travel advice thread

Postby babylurch » 08 Nov 2017, 10:20

Frank the Tank wrote:I could’ve sworn I posted about this when it happened but apparently not.

Last year when I was flying back home from paying some people to jump BD79 in the twin cities, someone brought an emotional support pig onto my flight. I was scared to death I’d sit next to it, but thankfully I didn’t. The owner was quite proud of this pig. Lots of people went up to the pig, asked questions about it, took a picture, then went out of the owner’s hearing radius to bitch about it. I was one of those people.

03F7E077-66B4-4F77-8844-B3572C2DED93.jpeg

Fucking people are the worst.

Pigs make the best wurst.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby JT99 » 08 Nov 2017, 10:21

Frank the Tank wrote:I could’ve sworn I posted about this when it happened but apparently not.

Last year when I was flying back home from paying some people to jump BD79 in the twin cities, someone brought an emotional support pig onto my flight. I was scared to death I’d sit next to it, but thankfully I didn’t. The owner was quite proud of this pig. Lots of people went up to the pig, asked questions about it, took a picture, then went out of the owner’s hearing radius to bitch about it. I was one of those people.

Best line there?

"MMMMMMMM, Bacon, Ham, and Sausage"
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby CourtesyFlush » 08 Nov 2017, 10:21

TheWolf wrote:

I thought you posted about that too. I've certainly read or heard the story before. But anyway, yes, people fucking suck.

The pig is cute though!
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Nov 2017, 10:21

Frank the Tank wrote:Last year when I was flying back home from paying some people to jump BD79 in the twin cities, someone brought an emotional support pig onto my flight.

Some people make poor marriage decisions.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby chrisco » 08 Nov 2017, 10:33

TheWolf wrote:Who do we blame for this completely unacceptable development in society? 79? Obama? Simmons? Trump? The blacks? LOL, certainly not the blacks.

White privilege.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby jman » 08 Nov 2017, 12:25

mj3528 wrote:She took here 3 legged Italian Greyhound on the plane

she flew with 31? :corn:

chrisco wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Who do we blame for this completely unacceptable development in society? 79? Obama? Simmons? Trump? The blacks? LOL, certainly not the blacks.

White privilege.

The liberals. Its always the liberals. Or else the conservatives.
jman
Bruce Dickinson

Postby Rodney Farva » 08 Nov 2017, 12:26

I’ve shared that story many times, glad to see the evidence.

The red bandana is the least surprising thing there, of course someone would put a red bandanna on their sympathy pig.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Nov 2017, 17:28

2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 14 Nov 2017, 21:51

I seen about a million emotional support pets on my trip to Vegas. This shit has to stop.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby chrisco » 25 Nov 2017, 12:25

I just booked my last trip of the year.

I am $1064 in spend and 6700 MQMs short of platinum, and this is a business trip. So I'm flying first and using a kinda tortured itinerary in order to hit status without spending too much on the flight.

In classic #MQM problems, my preferred route was JFK->LGB then SNA->LGA with a stopover on each leg. That got me to $1058 in spend and hit the miles. I ended up having to fly back SNA -> JFK which got me over the MQD hump. The plus is that I'm now flying out at 11:30 am instead of 8:30 and the company Christmas party is the night before.

Pretty sure that next year I am going to embrace the credit card route, get a Delta Amex, and make it the primary card on our Amazon spend since I'm likely traveling a lot less than I did this year. I can also stop using the company credit card to book trips and instead use that card and expense the flights.

Next up in #MQM problems will be building my Hawaii flight. Looks like we are doing our retreat from the 19-23rd of Jan, so I need to figure out if I am tacking some days on the front or back of that, then sort out whether I want to use some miles + spend to do that trip up front or not. Unless I can swing ATL to HNL, I'm not sure if its worth first. The Delta flights from HNL to/from the left coast usually have a shitty first class cabin. Last year I got lie flat seating from JFK to SLC then the next leg was beat.

Stay tuned!
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 02 Dec 2017, 11:35

chrisco wrote:I just booked my last trip of the year.

I am $1064 in spend and 6700 MQMs short of platinum, and this is a business trip. So I'm flying first and using a kinda tortured itinerary in order to hit status without spending too much on the flight.

In classic #MQM problems, my preferred route was JFK->LGB then SNA->LGA with a stopover on each leg. That got me to $1058 in spend and hit the miles. I ended up having to fly back SNA -> JFK which got me over the MQD hump. The plus is that I'm now flying out at 11:30 am instead of 8:30 and the company Christmas party is the night before.

Pretty sure that next year I am going to embrace the credit card route, get a Delta Amex, and make it the primary card on our Amazon spend since I'm likely traveling a lot less than I did this year. I can also stop using the company credit card to book trips and instead use that card and expense the flights.

Next up in #MQM problems will be building my Hawaii flight. Looks like we are doing our retreat from the 19-23rd of Jan, so I need to figure out if I am tacking some days on the front or back of that, then sort out whether I want to use some miles + spend to do that trip up front or not. Unless I can swing ATL to HNL, I'm not sure if its worth first. The Delta flights from HNL to/from the left coast usually have a shitty first class cabin. Last year I got lie flat seating from JFK to SLC then the next leg was beat.

Stay tuned!

ATL-HNL on DL is always on nice metal, but it's usually 2x the cost of any hop originating out of Cali. I agree the first class cabin is poor on, say, LAX-OGG, but it's free Mai Tais and some good leg room. Maybe fly out that way since it's not a red-eye and save the money for HNL-ATL with the A330 Delta One configuration where you can get some sleep?

Should hit Diamond on Wednesday. Routed DEN-BDL through ATL and not MSP or DTW to get a few extra miles. Now I'll be 173 over instead of something like 75 under. I'm toast for next year with no rollover miles coming doe.

AmEx's Delta cards just had a good sign-up bonus expire. Don't consider the Gold. If you're targeting Diamond in 2018, remember the credit card spend waiver doesn't apply anymore. if you're targeting Platinum again, the Delta Platinum Amex is probably enough for you. Going to the Reserve would cost you an extra $255 per year, and you'd get SkyClub access, 30k MQMs at $60k of spend vs 20k MQMs at $50k of spend, and slightly higher upgrade priority. You'd have to be the judge of how much value that has for you. The annual companion certificate makes the annual fee of either worth it IMO.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 02 Dec 2017, 20:01

Frank the Tank wrote:
chrisco wrote:I just booked my last trip of the year.

Stay tuned!

ATL-HNL on DL is always on nice metal, but it's usually 2x the cost of any hop originating out of Cali. I agree the first class cabin is poor on, say, LAX-OGG, but it's free Mai Tais and some good leg room. Maybe fly out that way since it's not a red-eye and save the money for HNL-ATL with the A330 Delta One configuration where you can get some sleep?

Should hit Diamond on Wednesday. Routed DEN-BDL through ATL and not MSP or DTW to get a few extra miles. Now I'll be 173 over instead of something like 75 under. I'm toast for next year with no rollover miles coming doe.

AmEx's Delta cards just had a good sign-up bonus expire. Don't consider the Gold. If you're targeting Diamond in 2018, remember the credit card spend waiver doesn't apply anymore. if you're targeting Platinum again, the Delta Platinum Amex is probably enough for you. Going to the Reserve would cost you an extra $255 per year, and you'd get SkyClub access, 30k MQMs at $60k of spend vs 20k MQMs at $50k of spend, and slightly higher upgrade priority. You'd have to be the judge of how much value that has for you. The annual companion certificate makes the annual fee of either worth it IMO.

I feel terrible making moves and not giving my fans updates!

So I followed last year's script with some improvements. For everyone not named #s, last year I booked each leg as a one way flight, used miles for one leg, and had ponzico pay for first on the other leg. It worked out to pretty much the equivalent of round trip comfort fare and passed shareholder muster.

The improvement is that I booked my return (HNL-ATL-LGA) with miles and am on a lie flat overnight from HNL to ATL. It cost 120k miles, and I need to stay an extra day because it was sold out for the day the retreat ends. Since some of us stayed another day last year and felt like death on return, I feel good about blowing my miles on that return flight because we are looking at doing the same thing this year.

I have not booked my flight out yet. Going to wait until a couple guys come into the city this week so we can make better plans. The big guy decided to toss the usual script out the window which is to work a 60+ hour week. Probably because that went really poorly last year and none of us are involved in the day to day anymore. Instead we are out there just to have fun. This means we are all there for NFL chip weekend and the couple days after. Usually I spend a couple days on my own out there to watch those games, and then the retreat is either just before or after.

To keep it #MQM talk, I don't really care how I'm flying out there, just more interested in which place I'm hitting beforehand. Looking at Maui right now because its been way too long, but I might do LA or Vegas and cut my time shorter than usual.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Dec 2017, 18:38

Delta sent me an email today offering me 5,000 MQMs, 9 MQSs, and 2,495 MQDs all for the low low low price of $2,495.00. I nearly spit out my Diet Coke I was laughing so hard at their greed.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Dec 2017, 08:55

So at lunch I’m going to check in to a local Residence Inn where I was able to get two nights for a very low price of 10k rewards points per night. Once I check in I will get back in my car and never set foot in the room. Then I will check out via the app on Sunday. Why am I doing this? Because I need two more nights to get Platinum status for 2018. I think I have a problem.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 08 Dec 2017, 08:59

Frank the Tank wrote:So at lunch I’m going to check in to a local Residence Inn where I was able to get two nights for a very low price of 10k rewards points per night. Once I check in I will get back in my car and never set foot in the room. Then I will check out via the app on Sunday. Why am I doing this? Because I need two more nights to get Platinum status for 2018. I think I have a problem.

You don't have a problem until -BJS figures out which Residence Inn your "staying" at.
chrisco
Madoff

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.