MQM Goonery - the travel advice thread

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: MQM Goonery - the travel advice thread

Postby the cheese » 05 May 2017, 10:27

mj3528 wrote:
the cheese wrote:
chrisco wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:i am pro-reclining. i don't usually do it but i don't begrudge people the 2" of lean the seats give you now. it used to be a bigger deal when the seats actually went back a noticeable amount. Now i'm always surprised to find that my seat is in the "reclined" position when the flight attendant comes by to tell me.

I won't recline until the person in front of me does it. Its like standing up at a concert.

I usually take the back corner of the middle arm rest when I'm on the window. I need to anchor my elbow.

I'm with sco. I also do not object to the person in front of me reclining. Life's too short to get pissy at everything.

I think no one should recline, but am not too upset if someone does it, except the jack asses that just slam the seat back.

I almost always have an aisle seat. Only exception is that exit row seat on some planes that does not have a seat in front of it. That is a slice of heaven.

Well, mister lifetime gold in a hub city, of course you always get an aisle.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby mj3528 » 05 May 2017, 10:30

the cheese wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
the cheese wrote:
chrisco wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:i am pro-reclining. i don't usually do it but i don't begrudge people the 2" of lean the seats give you now. it used to be a bigger deal when the seats actually went back a noticeable amount. Now i'm always surprised to find that my seat is in the "reclined" position when the flight attendant comes by to tell me.

I won't recline until the person in front of me does it. Its like standing up at a concert.

I usually take the back corner of the middle arm rest when I'm on the window. I need to anchor my elbow.

I'm with sco. I also do not object to the person in front of me reclining. Life's too short to get pissy at everything.

I think no one should recline, but am not too upset if someone does it, except the jack asses that just slam the seat back.

I almost always have an aisle seat. Only exception is that exit row seat on some planes that does not have a seat in front of it. That is a slice of heaven.

Well, mister lifetime gold in a hub city, of course you always get an aisle.

Hey, with the new Delta spend requirements I had to go 3 months without Gold until my ex-wife could spend enough to gift it to me. The struggle was real. I think I have a few upcoming flights with a middle seat.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Gregs Kite » 05 May 2017, 11:32

Sorry to interrupt.

No, I'm not. This made me laugh.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 May 2017, 15:47

i only recline on red eye flights that's how god intended
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby TheWolf » 06 May 2017, 00:03

Gregs Kite wrote:Sorry to interrupt.

No, I'm not. This made me laugh.

That is literally (not almost literally, but actually literally) what started the discussion you interrupted.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 06 May 2017, 00:58

i always try to get an aisle seat.

i'm sure i've mentioned it but indians are always expansive with their arms, elbows, legs etc. and always always claim the armrest. most flights here you get a crappy little pillow, so i jam that between me and the armrest. that absorbs the spreading elbow, but if they go as far that i'm feeling it i my ribs i ask them to stop. i will also ask them to move their leg over if they are manspreading and touching me. DO NOT TOUCH THE IMPORTANT MAN, POOR.

i don't care about reclining unless it's during the meal and makes it hard to eat. sometimes someone reclining their seat makes it hard to see the little tv screen but i lay that off to poor design and don't blame the person in front of me from trying to get comfortable. i generally don't recline myself. i will use the recline in business but in a regular economy seat i often don't bother unless a really long flight and i'm trying to get sleep.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rodney Farva » 08 May 2017, 09:47

i'm sure some of you already have this set up, but i've always wanted one of those rental car memberships where you walk up and pick any car. i always take forever to decide on what class to book and then end up begging them at the counter for what they have in the class, what color, blah blah blah. i thought those memberships were expensive or benefits only to regular customers who hit a certain threshold of spending. i was trying to book a car for my upcoming trip and was trapped in trying to figure out what to pick when for the hell of it i looked at the emerald club at national car rental. free! book midsize in advance, bypass the counter, walk up to the marked aisle and grab any car you want. they claim 80% of those rentals end up in an upgrade.

sorry, maybe this is common knowledge and i'm just an idiot, but i'm irrationally excited for this. do any of you do this, and is it really easier and results in better cars for the price?
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby mj3528 » 08 May 2017, 09:50

Rodney Farva wrote:i'm sure some of you already have this set up, but i've always wanted one of those rental car memberships where you walk up and pick any car. i always take forever to decide on what class to book and then end up begging them at the counter for what they have in the class, what color, blah blah blah. i thought those memberships were expensive or benefits only to regular customers who hit a certain threshold of spending. i was trying to book a car for my upcoming trip and was trapped in trying to figure out what to pick when for the hell of it i looked at the emerald club at national car rental. free! book midsize in advance, bypass the counter, walk up to the marked aisle and grab any car you want. they claim 80% of those rentals end up in an upgrade.

sorry, maybe this is common knowledge and i'm just an idiot, but i'm irrationally excited for this. do any of you do this, and is it really easier and results in better cars for the price?

I am a big National Fan and do this. You are only supposed to pick off the Emerald Aisle, and Executive Elite is a different aisle, but I think I have picked the wrong car before, and had no rental increase.

It is as you say a lot easier. I do not like when I go to airports that do not have the Emerald Aisle. Looking at you Yokel.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 May 2017, 09:50

Rodney Farva wrote:i'm sure some of you already have this set up, but i've always wanted one of those rental car memberships where you walk up and pick any car. i always take forever to decide on what class to book and then end up begging them at the counter for what they have in the class, what color, blah blah blah. i thought those memberships were expensive or benefits only to regular customers who hit a certain threshold of spending. i was trying to book a car for my upcoming trip and was trapped in trying to figure out what to pick when for the hell of it i looked at the emerald club at national car rental. free! book midsize in advance, bypass the counter, walk up to the marked aisle and grab any car you want. they claim 80% of those rentals end up in an upgrade.

I loved when National was our preferred rental agency at one of my prior employers. I did have good luck with upgrades, but that was from 1999-2003. Not one of my employers has used National since. Right now I'm allowed to use Avis or Hertz and am experimenting with both to determine which one I like better.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 May 2017, 09:51

yeah, national is nice and i have had the option of upgrading almost every time (though sometimes the upgrade is nonsense, like you can upgrade to a minivan or upgrade to a dually truck).

I still get a better deal through the corporate account with Enterprise though
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 08 May 2017, 10:07

George Costanza faked this one time iirc, but i actually have a real situation come up. had a previously scheduled trip to chicago for next weekend, my grandma died so I have to try to change the trip to Phoenix so i can go to the funeral. I wonder if AA will accept my word, demand a copy of the death certificate for proof, charge a change fee, etc. waiting for the deets about next weekend before i actually call their customer service. anyone ever try to change a flight to a completely different location for a legitimate reason like this before?
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rodney Farva » 08 May 2017, 10:12

sorry about gammy.

i'd look at the small print of your existing ticket before calling them up, since that's probably your worst case scenario. assuming they don't take pity, if you can find a decent fare to phoenix with them or another airline you may be best off buying that, and then paying the fee to change the chicago ticket for some other time you want to go home.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 08 May 2017, 10:17

Rodney Farva wrote:sorry about gammy.

i'd look at the small print of your existing ticket before calling them up, since that's probably your worst case scenario. assuming they don't take pity, if you can find a decent fare to phoenix with them or another airline you may be best off buying that, and then paying the fee to change the chicago ticket for some other time you want to go home.

TY Rodney.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby Goose » 08 May 2017, 10:28

I got a half fare for my grandmother's funeral based solely on my word, but that was in 1996 before flying turned into Thunderdome.

I've been using National and choose your own car thing for years. It's great and I've never got a hit for an upgrade. My favorite was getting a black Dodge Charger in NC. It's the same car that the Highway Patrol uses. Pedal down in the left hand lane and cars in front of me nearly killing themselves to get out of my way. My trip from Charlotte to Greensboro took about an hour.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby mj3528 » 08 May 2017, 10:30

Goose wrote:I got a half fare for my grandmother's funeral based solely on my word, but that was in 1996 before flying turned into Thunderdome.

I've been using National and choose your own car thing for years. It's great and I've never got a hit for an upgrade. My favorite was getting a black Dodge Charger in NC. It's the same car that the Highway Patrol uses. Pedal down in the left hand lane and cars in front of me nearly killing themselves to get out of my way. My trip from Charlotte to Greensboro took about an hour.

I have had the Charger a few times recently. National seems to have a lot in their fleet. I had the same experience driving from St. George to a golf course in Nevada.

Delta used to have compassion fares, for $275. I think they did away with that, but something to look into depending on the airline Dr. J.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.