MQM Goonery - the travel advice thread

Other stuff in other stuff.

MQM Goonery - the travel advice thread

Postby Frank the Tank » 23 Sep 2016, 08:06

Seemed like it should be separate from the vacation thread. I dunno.

The Marriott/Starwood merger closed this morning, and they're already allowing points to be transferred from one program to the other. Starwood Preferred Guest points (Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, etc.) have always been worth more than Marriott Rewards points, but they're allowing you to transfer Starpoints to Marriott and get 3:1. This is a great deal. The fair value transfer is probably closer to 2.5-1, so unless you have a preferred Westin you stay at all the time I recommend transferring all your SPG points to Marriott points ASAP. It's rare that you get a chance to create value out of nowhere in a travel loyalty program.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Re: MQM Goonery - the travel advice thread

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 24 Sep 2016, 14:56

Frank the Tank wrote:Seemed like it should be separate from the vacation thread. I dunno.

The Marriott/Starwood merger closed this morning, and they're already allowing points to be transferred from one program to the other. Starwood Preferred Guest points (Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, etc.) have always been worth more than Marriott Rewards points, but they're allowing you to transfer Starpoints to Marriott and get 3:1. This is a great deal. The fair value transfer is probably closer to 2.5-1, so unless you have a preferred Westin you stay at all the time I recommend transferring all your SPG points to Marriott points ASAP. It's rare that you get a chance to create value out of nowhere in a travel loyalty program.

I recognise that these words are English in origin. I just don't know what they mean :beatsme:
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby ctz31 » 24 Sep 2016, 18:02

Mario Speedwagon wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:Seemed like it should be separate from the vacation thread. I dunno.

I recognise that these words are English in origin. I just don't know what they mean :beatsme:

I think Marriott is a waitress at dirtwing. Otherwise I'm with you.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby Dthefritz » 24 Sep 2016, 18:12

ctz31 wrote:
Mario Speedwagon wrote:

I thought Marriott was a crappy QB we have to pretend is good because he's white and a high draft pick. And handsome/BradyGuy33.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Theny » 24 Sep 2016, 18:39

Dthefritz wrote:
ctz31 wrote:
Mario Speedwagon wrote:

I thought Marriott was a crappy QB we have to pretend is good because he's white and a high draft pick. And handsome/BradyGuy33.

I don't think Marriott is a white. He goes by "Marcus"
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby TheWolf » 24 Sep 2016, 23:39

What is he, anyway? Hawaiian or something? Does that count as white?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby chrisco » 25 Sep 2016, 09:57

BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 25 Sep 2016, 16:34

chrisco wrote:http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-09-22/how-chase-made-the-perfect-high-for-credit-card-junkies

I considered this card because of the great signup bonus, but it doesn't let me transfer points to my preferred partners: Delta and Marriott. I need the Delta/AmEx marriage to falter.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby CourtesyFlush » 06 Oct 2016, 12:31

This seems like as good a spot as any to post this query.

I'll be doing the Paris (of Europe) marathon in April so I need some recommendations on where to go after our stay there. Thinking of staying within a 2 hr plane ride of Paris and limiting any train/car travel to the ultimate destination. A few spots we've come across (or recommendations we've received)--Barcelona (she's been already), Nice, Bordeaux, Arles, Majorca, Cinque Terre (train ride would be 3-4 hrs from Genoa/Pisa though). We're staying in Paris Friday-Tuesday so we'd be staying elsewhere Tuesday-Sunday (or Monday).

Thoughts, SOTSG?
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 06 Oct 2016, 12:33

Couch surf at Bixby's
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Rodney Farva » 06 Oct 2016, 12:38

I'don't keep it simple and train instead of fly. So either somewhere else in France, Belgium or Amsterdam . If you are going to fly, I liked Verona as a good spot for a few days and would be good for romancing your lady.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby mj3528 » 06 Oct 2016, 12:39

CourtesyFlush wrote:This seems like as good a spot as any to post this query.

I'll be doing the Paris (of Europe) marathon in April so I need some recommendations on where to go after our stay there. Thinking of staying within a 2 hr plane ride of Paris and limiting any train/car travel to the ultimate destination. A few spots we've come across (or recommendations we've received)--Barcelona (she's been already), Nice, Bordeaux, Arles, Majorca, Cinque Terre (train ride would be 3-4 hrs from Genoa/Pisa though). We're staying in Paris Friday-Tuesday so we'd be staying elsewhere Tuesday-Sunday (or Monday).

Thoughts, SOTSG?

Bixby can tell you if Cinque Terre is worth staying for nearly a week.

I would suggest Rome as there would be plenty to do and you wouldn't need a car at all there. If you wanted some more relaxing, Lake Como is great, but filling 6 days there might be a little difficult.

IMS was kidding about couch surfing at Bixby's, but Switzerland is a decent option too. You could fly into Geneva, stay in Lausanne and take the train easily to Montreaux, Bern and Lucerne.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby JT99 » 06 Oct 2016, 12:48

I've heard tremendous things about Florence.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby the cheese » 06 Oct 2016, 13:32

mj3528 wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:This seems like as good a spot as any to post this query.

Thoughts, SOTSG?

Bixby can tell you if Cinque Terre is worth staying for nearly a week.

I would suggest Rome as there would be plenty to do and you wouldn't need a car at all there. If you wanted some more relaxing, Lake Como is great, but filling 6 days there might be a little difficult.

IMS was kidding about couch surfing at Bixby's, but Switzerland is a decent option too. You could fly into Geneva, stay in Lausanne and take the train easily to Montreaux, Bern and Lucerne.

Bordeaux is pretty great. I haven't been, but my two friends who have say Cinque Terre is great and you can bum around that part of Italy until your heart's content. Switzerland is cool but more expensive than most of Europe.

I'd say Bordeaux or Nice.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby TheWolf » 06 Oct 2016, 21:14

Of the places mentioned so far, I've been to Barcelona, Florence, and Rome, and would rank them in that order. Not that I didn't like Rome too, but I found their public transportation to be very inconvenient for such a big touristy place. Lot of really good shit to see there, but I feel like it does a worse job than other European cities in terms of blending their historical/tourism stuff with their actual modern city.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Next

Return to Misc.