Blockchain and blockchain alone.

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Blockchain and blockchain alone.

Postby chrisco » 16 Mar 2017, 18:03

Ok, working through my list of promised posts (your up next Top 5 rankings of Jealous Guy!).

The Blockchain is legit, but overhyped. I think this article is a decent summation of where do we go from here:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/12/bitte ... usionment/

Bitcoin right now is mostly used as a way to get around Chinese currency controls. Its community is at war bo/rod/mtm/kite/frank in #MAGA with itself and won't really pull its head out of its ass in time. The fact that they cannot agree to speed up their transaction processing and are still wrestling with forks is no bueno for its future.

Here is an analogy that might help...

Blockchain = Social Networking (this is the underlying method)
BitCoin = MySpace (this is the first version of this you heard of)
???? = Facebook (this is the one that gets it right)

Someone needs to come in and clean this up. We'll have numerous specialized or private blockchains (same way we have for social networks), but we also need a decent mass market universal blockchain with a commonly accepted crypto currency on top of it.

Now in terms of the blockchain, I'm in agreement with the techcrunch article above which says that we don't even really need a mass market crypto currency/blockchain because there are more than enough specialized uses to matter. At the same time who knows what tomorrow will bring and there could be a killer app out there.

To me, what's more interesting is the accounting level of mundane actions that the blockchain can allow for. There are plenty of things we've never transacted in before because the level of human effort to settle those transactions was not worth it. Blockchains gives us additional levels of precision that can open up new ways to do business. The best analogy I can provide here is that once upon a time we measured things in hours, minutes, and seconds. Then we added milliseconds. They were not crucial to our existence, but they allowed us to do more things than we could have before.

Anyway I am rambling and need to get ready for my jealous guy post.

Believe the Block Sonz.
Last edited by chrisco on 16 Mar 2017, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby mj3528 » 16 Mar 2017, 18:09

I never thought I would post in this thread.

'Sco, this is the movie I mentioned in the box that dealt with one of the guys involved with bit coin that I saw at Sundance:

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/the-new-radical-review-1201967572/

It was ok, but filmed a little strange and I was confused on more than one occasion.

Almost all of the guys in the movie were strange. You might like it.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 16 Mar 2017, 18:15

I didn't know what blockchain was besides the title of a sotsg.com thread until i read the article, ty sco.
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 16 Mar 2017, 18:21

Dr Jeckyll wrote:I didn't know what blockchain was besides the title of a sotsg.com thread until i read the article, ty sco.

Same.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby chrisco » 16 Mar 2017, 18:40

TheWolf wrote:
Dr Jeckyll wrote:I didn't know what blockchain was besides the title of a sotsg.com thread until i read the article, ty sco.

Same.

My job is to educate. One day the machines are coming for all of us and if you know what they do, you'll know how to control them. Stay capitalist woke.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Previous

Return to Misc.