Ask The Rabbi

Other stuff in other stuff.

Ask The Rabbi

Postby TVF wannabe » 31 Jul 2009, 14:42

Lately there have Been a bunch of questions for me in the Shoutbox re Judaism.

If you'd like feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

Obviously this wont be the next Ask the mormon thread as I'm not Collingsworth shocking I know.

Food:kosher only.

We dont mix milk and meat. In fact after meat you cant eat milk products for 3, 5 or 6 hours depending on custom.
Meat:
Only animals that chew their cud and have split hooves are kosher.
I'm not exactly sure if there are parameters for fowl other then they can't be carnivorous. Chicken,Turkey and the like are kosher.
All meat must be slaughtered properly to be kosher.

Fish:Only fish with fins and scales are kosher.

*I'm not a Rabbi nor is what I say the only way it is. There are many different opinions and approaches even within orthodox.
That said I consider my self middle of the road orthodox and will answer the questions accordingly.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Re: Ask The Rabbi

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 31 Jul 2009, 14:48

Rabbi,

Decribe your penis.

Thanks.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby TVF wannabe » 31 Jul 2009, 14:49

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Rabbi,

Decribe your penis.

Thanks.

Circumsized.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Fletch » 31 Jul 2009, 14:58

TVF wannabe wrote:We dont mix milk and meat. In fact after meat you cant eat milk products for 3, 5 or 6 hours depending on custom.
Meat:
I'm not exactly sure if there are parameters for fowl other then they can't be carnivorous. Chicken,Turkey and the like are kosher.

I'm not trying to bag on your religion (I'm equal opportunity, and this question could just as well go out to the fish fry people), but do you think that your spiritual leaders realize how retarded these food rules are? What purpose do they serve in 2009? Serving tradition for tradition's sake, especially when it affects your daily life so much, doesn't make sense to me. 3 hours? 5 hours? 6 hours? Does Yahweh give a shit if it's 4 hours or 14 hours? I just can't sign on with a micro-managerial deity.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby TVF wannabe » 31 Jul 2009, 15:04

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:We dont mix milk and meat. In fact after meat you cant eat milk products for 3, 5 or 6 hours depending on custom.
Meat:

I'm not trying to bag on your religion (I'm equal opportunity, and this question could just as well go out to the fish fry people), but do you think that your spiritual leaders realize how retarded these food rules are? What purpose do they serve in 2009? Serving tradition for tradition's sake, especially when it affects your daily life so much, doesn't make sense to me. 3 hours? 5 hours? 6 hours? Does Yahweh give a shit if it's 4 hours or 14 hours? I just can't sign on with a micro-managerial deity.

Spiritual leader? That would be G-d.
Yes he cares, becuase he set them in place. Tradition is timeless.

ETA:I dont love my answer here i feel like it could be better, I'll get back to it.
the amount of time has to do with where you come from originally 3 hours are Germans(and the surrounding area)only.
5/6 are viewed as the same amount its just a question of into the sixth hour or 6 compete.
At that time the foods are no longer mixing and the taste is out of you mouth.
Second edit:
Serving tradition for tradition's sake, especially when it affects your daily life so much, doesn't make sense to me

Thats the whole point of religion doing the tradition for their sake only because you believe in the religion.
Last edited by TVF wannabe on 31 Jul 2009, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Fletch » 31 Jul 2009, 15:08

TVF wannabe wrote:
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
Meat:

Spiritual leader? That would be G-d.
Yes he cares, becuase he set them in place. Tradition is timeless.

Seriously? God came down from heaven and said "Wait 180 minutes to eat this, but 300 minutes to eat that!" - that's what you're telling me? That these aren't man's interpretation?
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby bosux » 31 Jul 2009, 15:11

i dont know for shit, but it seems to be these rules came from a time when food safety knowledge didnt exist, and someone saw that eating dirty pigs and drinking spoilt milk made people sick and said 'god told me, "thall shall not eat thee!"'
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby TVF wannabe » 31 Jul 2009, 15:17

[quote=IMF]Seriously? God came down from heaven and said "Wait 180 minutes to eat this, but 300 minutes to eat that!" - that's what you're telling me? That these aren't man's interpretation?[/quote]

Yes there are some interpertations, but they are in the application i.e. 3 or 6 as explained above.

i dont know for shit, but it seems to be these rules came from a time when food safety knowledge didnt exist, and someone saw that eating dirty pigs and drinking spoilt milk made people sick and said 'god told me, "thall shall not eat thee!"'

This is a common misconception that the food laws were put in place by man as based on the times.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Fletch » 31 Jul 2009, 15:18

TVF wannabe wrote:Second edit:
Serving tradition for tradition's sake, especially when it affects your daily life so much, doesn't make sense to me

Thats the whole point of religion doing the tradition for their sake only because you believe in the religion.

(Pardon my intermittent ignorance and mixing up of facts, possibly)

So, does that mean that you still sacrifice a lamb and paint the top of your door with its blood for Passover? I'm gonna guess not.

bosux wrote:i dont know for shit, but it seems to be these rules came from a time when food safety knowledge didnt exist, and someone saw that eating dirty pigs and drinking spoilt milk made people sick and said 'god told me, "thall shall not eat thee!"'

Exactly my point. It's one thing to observe traditions for the sake of tradition. It's quite another to significantly (debate the usage of that word if you must) alter your life by stubbornly sticking to outdated ways of life. Hell, even the Catholic church modifies its stance on things every once in a while. It's called being relevant.

TVF wannabe wrote:This is a common misconception that the food laws were put in place by man as based on the times.

What's the real story then?
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby TVF wannabe » 31 Jul 2009, 15:27

Last one for the day as I'm about to leave work.

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:Second edit:

(Pardon my intermittent ignorance and mixing up of facts, possibly)

So, does that mean that you still sacrifice a lamb and paint the top of your door with its blood for Passover? I'm gonna guess not..

I dont, because we aren't supposed to.
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
bosux wrote:i dont know for shit, but it seems to be these rules came from a time when food safety knowledge didnt exist, and someone saw that eating dirty pigs and drinking spoilt milk made people sick and said 'god told me, "thall shall not eat thee!"'

Exactly my point. It's one thing to observe traditions for the sake of tradition. It's quite another to significantly (debate the usage of that word if you must) alter your life by stubbornly sticking to outdated ways of life. Hell, even the Catholic church modifies its stance on things every once in a while. It's called being relevant..

There are certain things that have adjusted with the times but religion isnt (for everyone) about being relevant for the most part.
Also whats not relevant,not eating meat and milk?

TVF wannabe wrote:This is a common misconception that the food laws were put in place by man as based on the times.

What's the real story then?[/quote]
They were set in place by g-d. Specifically what is and isnt kosher.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Fletch » 31 Jul 2009, 15:36

My last one, too: what's the significance of "g-d"?
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jul 2009, 16:13

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:My last one, too: what's the significance of "g-d"?

This is why Vince McMahon stays away from religion and politics. There's no changing someone's mind once they're set. It's a code that makes sense to me and which is why I'd rather have toothpicks through my nipples than debate either topic. But you kids look like you're off to a g--d start.

Someone let me know when Fletch's head explodes. My money's on Monday at the latest.
Last edited by Gregs Kite on 31 Jul 2009, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby someguysomewhere » 31 Jul 2009, 16:19

Greg's Kite wrote:

This is why Vince McMahon stays away from religion and politics. There's no changing someone's mind once their set. It's a code that makes sense to me and which is why I'd rather have toothpicks through my nipples than debate either topic. But you kids look like you're off to a g--d start.

Someone let me know when Fletch's head explodes. My money's on Monday at the latest.

Just wait until Donut gets here.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jul 2009, 16:21

someguysomewhere wrote:
Greg's Kite wrote:

This is why Vince McMahon stays away from religion and politics. There's no changing someone's mind once their set. It's a code that makes sense to me and which is why I'd rather have toothpicks through my nipples than debate either topic. But you kids look like you're off to a g--d start.

Just wait until Donut gets here.

That's okay. As much as I enjoy the occasional chaotic shitstorm, religion and political debates are pointless, infinite, and eternally unappealing to me. But youse guys have fun...gency.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby the cheese » 31 Jul 2009, 16:38

Sawbuck on TVFW continuing the tradition of not saying the Lord's name, which was originally unpronouncable and spelled YHWH in the Torah.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Next

Return to Misc.