Postby SouthernYokel » 11 Jan 2018, 16:39

Goose wrote:
Theny wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Goose wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
ctz31 wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
ETA: You intentionally watch non-HD television. You're not authorized to judge the technological advancements of others.

Please do not double post.

Sorry, I'm new here. I have not yet learned the difference between the Edit and Quote buttons.

I forgot about this (sorry I'm not mj). How the fuck do you not watch HD in this year of our lord 2018? Do they not have the bandwidth for that in the Falls?

I was reminded of the craziness of ctz's position on HD on a recent trip, when where I was staying at two TVs, one in HD and one not in HD, and the difference was so striking.

I can't believe we even bothered watching TV in the old days.

Three networks, one local UHF channel and PBS. 19" screen in mono. Fucking with rabbit ears any time the weather changed. There really was no point.

Standing up to change channels never really bothered me too much because there was usually nothing else on, so it didn't happen very often.

I remember not caring what was on TV because it was always on PBS. The Nintendo is what drew me in
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Re: Whats The Deal With Home-Work?

Postby mj3528 » 11 Jan 2018, 16:47

SouthernYokel wrote:
Goose wrote:
Theny wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Goose wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
ctz31 wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
ETA: You intentionally watch non-HD television. You're not authorized to judge the technological advancements of others.

Please do not double post.

Sorry, I'm new here. I have not yet learned the difference between the Edit and Quote buttons.

I forgot about this (sorry I'm not mj). How the fuck do you not watch HD in this year of our lord 2018? Do they not have the bandwidth for that in the Falls?

I was reminded of the craziness of ctz's position on HD on a recent trip, when where I was staying at two TVs, one in HD and one not in HD, and the difference was so striking.

I can't believe we even bothered watching TV in the old days.

Three networks, one local UHF channel and PBS. 19" screen in mono. Fucking with rabbit ears any time the weather changed. There really was no point.

Standing up to change channels never really bothered me too much because there was usually nothing else on, so it didn't happen very often.

I remember not caring what was on TV because it was always on PBS. The Nintendo is what drew me in

But then cable came and you had 40 channels, sitting on the floor 4 inches from the screen, reaching up to change the channel. #summernights
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby Jew Jitsu » 11 Jan 2018, 16:48

I remember the shitty non HD feed but you guys were alive before remote controls? By how many decades am I younger here than the average poster?
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby Rodney Farva » 11 Jan 2018, 16:50

there are times when the missus will put the cable on the non-HD feed of whatever she wants to watch, and when i change it to the HD channel she gets all huffy and i dream of a very different life than i one actually lead and what were we talking about again?
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 11 Jan 2018, 16:53

Jew Jitsu wrote:I remember the shitty non HD feed but you guys were alive before remote controls? By how many decades am I younger here than the average poster?

How old are you? I'm 36, younger than a lot of the people here, but I vaguely remember not having a remote when I was really young. The internet says that TV remotes have existed since the 50s, but I don't think they were really "standard" until maybe the mid-80s?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby ctz31 » 11 Jan 2018, 16:57

My parents had something similar to this to change the channels

And all of this y'all are describing is definitely the same as me not caring if i see russell westbrooks chin pubes more clearly on my 40 in screen. #baller
ctz31
#nnf

Postby Goose » 11 Jan 2018, 16:59

ctz31 wrote:My parents had something similar to this to change the channels

And all of this y'all are describing is definitely the same as me not caring if i see russell westbrooks chin pubes more clearly on my 40 in screen. #baller

I thought clearly seeing pubes on chins would be a major selling point to you.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby mj3528 » 11 Jan 2018, 17:05

Goose wrote:

that is old. technology takes awhile to make it to buffalo.

This is similar to the cable box I had growing up:

2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 11 Jan 2018, 17:08

Had to put aluminum foil on the TV antenna to get the UHF channels.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby SouthernYokel » 11 Jan 2018, 17:56

Rodney Farva wrote:there are times when the missus will put the cable on the non-HD feed of whatever she wants to watch, and when i change it to the HD channel she gets all huffy and i dream of a very different life than i one actually lead and what were we talking about again?

I memba this before cutting the cord. What fun that was.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Rodney Farva » 11 Jan 2018, 18:48

when i was a kid we had the network stations and pbs with a rabbit ears antenna on the tv. then cable came, i think when i was in 1st or 2nd grade, which didn't have a lot more other than channel 38 from boston, which was red sox, bruins, three stooges, and a lot of shitty old movies. had a similar remote cable box to the one above:

tv didn't have its own remote doe. then we moved to a town where there was no cable because mtv would ruin the yutes. back to network and pbs and the rabbit ears, then one independent came on air, and then another. woo, choices!
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby rickm3 » 11 Jan 2018, 19:24

Jew Jitsu wrote:I remember the shitty non HD feed but you guys were alive before remote controls? By how many decades am I younger here than the average poster?

For sure, I remember "Hey while you are up change the channel" My family was so lazy we waited until someone had to go to the bathroom or kitchen or whatever to change the channels.
rickm3
Hope College Alum

Postby rickm3 » 11 Jan 2018, 19:30

Rodney Farva wrote:when i was a kid we had the network stations and pbs with a rabbit ears antenna on the tv. then cable came, i think when i was in 1st or 2nd grade, which didn't have a lot more other than channel 38 from boston, which was red sox, bruins, three stooges, and a lot of shitty old movies. had a similar remote cable box to the one above:

tv didn't have its own remote doe. then we moved to a town where there was no cable because mtv would ruin the yutes. back to network and pbs and the rabbit ears, then one independent came on air, and then another. woo, choices!

Oh yeah, I had one of those when I was a kid. For those wondering it was wired to the cable box so not really a remote but at the time was life-changing because the cord was pretty long so you could change the channel while sitting on your ass in front of the tee-vee and didn't have to actually change the channel dial. There was a dohicky on the left or right that toggled between top/middle/bottom. So if you wanted channel 2 you moved that thingy to the top and pushed the button below the row that had the 2 in it. Good times!
rickm3
Hope College Alum

Postby Theny » 11 Jan 2018, 20:08

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Had to put aluminum foil on the TV antenna to get the UHF channels.

I feel like we put raw potatoes on the antennas as well.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby the cheese » 11 Jan 2018, 21:25

mj3528 wrote:
Goose wrote:

that is old. technology takes awhile to make it to buffalo.

This is similar to the cable box I had growing up:

We had one of these. Disney was 26, ESPN was 3, HBO was 2, and A&E was 27. I think we got a remote for our cable box in like 1990.
Going to my 2nd cousins’ house in Maryland was trip. They had a ton more money than us but no cable, and my dad and uncle ended up going on the actual roof to fix the antenna. This was in 1990. They also had Betamax and I had no idea what the hell that was.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.