Whats The Deal With Home-Work?

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Whats The Deal With Home-Work?

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 05 Mar 2017, 22:37

I switched out my kitchen faucet today. I'm handy. It only took over 7 hours. I'm handy.

There was a stripped screw that I couldnt get the fuck out. I was so ducking pissed. It's done now. Nice little Sunday.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby mj3528 » 05 Mar 2017, 23:00

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I switched out my kitchen faucet today. I'm handy. It only took over 7 hours. I'm handy.

There was a stripped screw that I couldnt get the fuck out. I was so ducking pissed. It's done now. Nice little Sunday.

the only time I did that I had a similar issue. Started it about 45 minutes before the final round of the Masters came on. Finished it about an hour after the Masters ended. Last beyond simple plumbing repair I have attempted.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Mar 2017, 07:41

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I switched out my kitchen faucet today. I'm handy. It only took over 7 hours. I'm handy.

2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby bosux » 06 Mar 2017, 10:19

plumbing is above my pay grade...i tried to replace the guts of a terlet...a disintegrated washer in the shutoff valve thwarted me

ended up with a bucket on the floor and a $100 plumber bill
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby bosux » 06 Mar 2017, 22:31

the cheese wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
the cheese wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Well you're useless to me. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the attempted rec, anyway.

You plan to sell and move pretty soon right? So if it shits the bed before then natural gas furnaces are pretty well commodity items. Get the cheapest one you can and get the fuck out of there.

Appreciate the advice. The dude who checked it out today said it's not likely to die before we move, but an inspector will see how old it is and warn the buyer to insist on a new one, so we should just do it now. He is likely just angling for a sale, but this does sound plausible

Hard nope.

You don't know how thorough the inspector is. If they ask for it, just give them a check at closing. Do some homework beforehand though and find the cheapest vendor you can find. Get the price before you sell so you know what you'll need if they ask for it and you can figure it into your price before you sell or when you counter.

NOTE THAT I FUCKING DID THIS EXACT THING WITH MY FIRST HOUSE. This is not me being a know it all, this is me sharing personal experience. I talked the wife out of spending the money before the sale, added the cost of the replacement into the sale price, got the price I wanted, and didn't end up replacing it because the inspector was a moron.

double post, cuntwipes

we replaced our HVAC today. it had thewolf aidsbola, would light and then die out, then not lighting at all, and was 21 years old. did the reset thing for a couple weeks, replaced the ignition sensor to no avail. got a snazzy new carrier unit with a whole-house humidifier and a super duper touch screen programmable t-stat

i look forward to the cheesedick telling i should of went with lennox or york

@me
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby chrisco » 07 Mar 2017, 08:32

I'm surprised you didn't go with a coal stove tbh.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby bosux » 07 Mar 2017, 09:48

chrisco wrote:I'm surprised you didn't go with a coal stove tbh.

fun fact: at my old place we had a boiler which could operate on oil, coal or wood...the previous owner used coal...too much hassle...feed it 3x per day, tamp, dump ashes
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby the cheese » 07 Mar 2017, 09:50

bosux wrote:
the cheese wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
the cheese wrote:

You plan to sell and move pretty soon right? So if it shits the bed before then natural gas furnaces are pretty well commodity items. Get the cheapest one you can and get the fuck out of there.

Appreciate the advice. The dude who checked it out today said it's not likely to die before we move, but an inspector will see how old it is and warn the buyer to insist on a new one, so we should just do it now. He is likely just angling for a sale, but this does sound plausible

Hard nope.

You don't know how thorough the inspector is. If they ask for it, just give them a check at closing. Do some homework beforehand though and find the cheapest vendor you can find. Get the price before you sell so you know what you'll need if they ask for it and you can figure it into your price before you sell or when you counter.

NOTE THAT I FUCKING DID THIS EXACT THING WITH MY FIRST HOUSE. This is not me being a know it all, this is me sharing personal experience. I talked the wife out of spending the money before the sale, added the cost of the replacement into the sale price, got the price I wanted, and didn't end up replacing it because the inspector was a moron.

double post, cuntwipes

we replaced our HVAC today. it had thewolf aidsbola, would light and then die out, then not lighting at all, and was 21 years old. did the reset thing for a couple weeks, replaced the ignition sensor to no avail. got a snazzy new carrier unit with a whole-house humidifier and a super duper touch screen programmable t-stat

@me

I got a Carrier. Good stuff.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby bosux » 07 Mar 2017, 09:56

the cheese wrote:
bosux wrote:
the cheese wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
the cheese wrote:

Hard nope.

double post, cuntwipes

@me

I got a Carrier. Good stuff.

bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby the cheese » 07 Mar 2017, 09:56

You and I have agreed twice in 24 hours. That's weird.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby chrisco » 07 Mar 2017, 11:54

Today is gonna be the day that I finally close my home renovation out.

Very excited to have a working washer and dryer back in the house. Hooked up in a location not to code.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 07 Mar 2017, 13:23

thanks for getting Wonderwall stuck in my head :(
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby jman » 07 Mar 2017, 14:44

chrisco wrote:Today is gonna be the day that I finally close my home renovation out.

Very excited to have a working washer and dryer back in the house. Hooked up in a location not to code.

Lucky bastard. Laundry machines have been the bane of my existence for the past couple of months. Recap:

- Little over a month ago, dryer starts taking forever to dry clothes. I figure the vent line may be clogged so I go buy a decent length vent snake and snake a bunch of lint out of it. Just working from where the dryer vent attaches to the wall but having no idea how long the actual vent line is.

- Around the same time, washing machine goes dead as shit. Won't even light up when buttons are pushed. Figure it's the control board and the part alone is $250 so say fuck it and buy a new washer. Have it delivered within the week.

- About 2 weeks ago, dryer still drying like shit and brand new washer only spins about 50% of the time so sometimes clothes are soaking wet at the end of the load, which the fucking dryer can't get dry without running for 3 hours. Call warranty repair on the washer. Guy comes out and runs some tests, says he needs to replace control board which he doesn't have with him and will have to order. Meantime I've been doing a lot of online research about the dryer issues and everything I read points to the solenoid coils being bad. $10 part, not hard to replace.

- Weekend before last, replace solenoid coils in dryer. Still dries like shit.

- Yesterday, washer guy comes back to replace control board in washer. Tell him I've been having issues with the dryer too and he says from the description of the problem he's 90% sure the vent is clogged. #-o Tell him I already snaked out a bunch of stuff and he says go into the attic (laundry room is on the upper floor) and I should be able to see the actual vent duct run. I do this and realize the snake I bought is probably only about half the length of the vent duct. #-o #-o

- Tomorrow, dryer vent cleaning guy coming to clean out the vent, probably to the tune of about $200. Fuck me running. [-o<
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby mister bacon » 07 Mar 2017, 14:53

dryer vent cleaning guy... is an actual profession? or does he do chimneys too?
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby TVF wannabe » 07 Mar 2017, 14:57

mister bacon wrote:dryer vent cleaning guy... is an actual profession? or does he do chimneys too?

my appliance guy does that too, different then the chimney guy
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.