#SPREADSHEET

Other stuff in other stuff.

#SPREADSHEET

Postby the cheese » 13 Mar 2008, 00:01

I'm going to kill a bitch.

I absolutely abhor Capitol One. I have a credit card with them that I got when I was 18. It was my first credit card, and since cancelling your first credit card kills your credit rating, I still have it open. Unfortunately, I had about a $900 balance on it due to some household shit, and when I finally got paid for the last of some consulting work with tards that I did last year I figured I'd pay it off and put it in my safe deposit box until it expired, and then just shred whatever cards they sent me. So Sunday night I go online to pay it, using my personal checking account that I use to pay some of our bills - car insurance on my car, big-gulps, trips to the bar, whatever. After authorizing a payment, I get a screen that says Capitol One's system can't process the payment and to try again later. I think nothing of it, go fuck the wife, and go to sleep. Monday I'm at school, and I figure I'll pay off the card. I repeat the process, confirm payment, print off a statement for my records, and go about my business. Yesterday I check my online balance, and find out that I'm $276 dollars overdrawn. I check my online banking, and find out that Capitol One processed TWO $900 payments on 3/11. Naturally, I get on the phone to Capitol One to be like WHAT THE FUCK. After some red-dot whore in a call center in India tells me there's nothing Capitol One can do about it, I get transferred to a supervisor in America. He basically tells me that the best he can do is cut me a $900 check that will get to my house on Wednesday of next week, and I can submit any overdraft charges I accrue to Capitol One for reimbursement. Nobody's going hungry, but I'm not seeing any cash for eight days and I'm probably getting about two hundred dollars in overdraft charges when my car insurance, Amex payment, trip to Earl's Rib Palace, and a couple Big Gulps hit the account in the next two hours. So best case I wait seven days to get my money back but be out an additional two hundred dollars I probably wouldn't see until mid-April. Mind you, I find this out at the airport in Chicago, where I am doing a couple day's consulting to make some quick cash. Fucking horrible as I see it.

This would all be ok if I was in Oklahoma, or if the Cheese-ette was in OKlahoma. She'd run over to her bank, get some cash, put it in my account, and it'd all be OK. Neither of us are. So I get on the phone with my bank, Midfirst for the Oklahomans out there, and try to make something happen. After three people and twenty minutes on the phone, somebody comes up with a fairly simple solution. Since my account only has overdraft protection up to $250, the second Capitol One payment would have to be approved by the manager of the branch where I first set up my account eight years ago. She proposed, and got approved, a plan to simply refuse payment on the second Capitol One charge, and it would be like none of my overdrafts ever happened. Fucking brilliant, as I saw it. She said she'd handle it that day, and by today it would be like nothing ever happened. I spent the rest of the day singing MidFirst's praises and railing at Capitol One like a sonofabitch.

Except it didn't really work out that way. I spend today working in Chicago, calling my automated account info # every half hour waiting to hear my account go into the positive. Three times during the day (9:00am, 12:30 pm, and 3:30pm) I call the branch manager, leaving messages for her to call me ASAP. My account never goes positive. After a fantastic dinner of roasted chicken, I call and find out that my account is now an additional $400 overdrawn (this is around 9:45pm). I get back to the hotel and check my online banking, only to find that instead of cancelling the $900 Capitol One charge, the fucking rocket scientist branch manager cancelled the completely insignificant $38 Amex online payment I made on Monday. Her doing so cost me an additional $27.50, and five additional overdraft charges hit my account. And since you don't have the ability to cancel payments after a day, the loophole they were going to going to use to get my money back from Capitol One is closed. I'm going to ream a motherfucker over the phone tomorrow. The employees of Midfirst bank are lucky I'm not in Oklahoma City tomorrow, because I'd be going Rambo on their asses if they don't resolve this thing toute motherfucking suite. They'd learn the first rule of doing business in Oklahoma: Don't fuck with a dude who had a gunrack in the back of his car.

No matter what, I'm closing that account, cashing out the CD I have with them, and killing whatever future relationship I have with that institution.
Last edited by the cheese on 06 May 2015, 16:21, edited 2 times in total.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17685
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Rodney Farva » 13 Mar 2008, 04:25

you probably don't want to hear this, but it's more than a touch ironical that you kept the credit card to protect your credit rating, which thanks to all these shenanigans is probably going to take a hit.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 24508
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Frank the Tank » 13 Mar 2008, 05:37

Capital One is just plain evil. Between the atrocious customer service and the bait-and-switch advertising they're a must-avoid. We need to spread this cautionary tale for our younger members.

I generally prefer local banks to big banks (see my anti-Bank of America rant in some post somewhere a couple weeks ago after they started tripling the credit card interest rates of customers who were current on their payments and had never had a problem) but sometimes the IQ of local bank branch employees is, how do I put it?..., deficient.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31376
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Dunking Donut » 13 Mar 2008, 07:58

You had sex with a pregnant woman? Gross. :)


Banks suck. The only one we never had a problem with is a credit union that we've had since we got married and we still do most of our business with and the local offices are in NJ. We need to go through affiliates and the like for other transactions which is fine and we just willingly pay fees for ATM transactions if I need to take out cash. It's not worth this kind of bullshit. We opened a small account a couple years ago to cut down on that kind of stuff and had nothing but trouble, I now work for said company in IT. It was so bad that I won't even open an account today...I just pay a fee when I take money out from the company ATM on the premises. I won't even use our own shit. The CEO sent out a nice letter about how great our service is and whatnot -- it's great RELATIVE TO OTHER BANKS. Compared to other industries, banking is the shits. The industry itself has got a long way to go to improve customer satisfaction.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
User avatar
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 6346
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 10:25

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby SouthernYokel » 13 Mar 2008, 08:02

Dunking Donut wrote:You had sex with a pregnant woman? Gross. :)


Banks suck. The only one we never had a problem with is a credit union that we've had since we got married and we still do most of our business with and the local offices are in NJ. We need to go through affiliates and the like for other transactions which is fine and we just willingly pay fees for ATM transactions if I need to take out cash. It's not worth this kind of bullshit. We opened a small account a couple years ago to cut down on that kind of stuff and had nothing but trouble, I now work for said company in IT. It was so bad that I won't even open an account today...I just pay a fee when I take money out from the company ATM on the premises. I won't even use our own shit. The CEO sent out a nice letter about how great our service is and whatnot -- it's great RELATIVE TO OTHER BANKS. Compared to other industries, banking is the shits. The industry itself has got a long way to go to improve customer satisfaction.


i think there's a handshake agreement between all banks about what constitutes customer service. if you get terrible service everywhere, what difference does it make? I've been with (i think) your bank for a long time. haven't had too many problems (aside from them closing an account of mine when i was in college for inactivity; is it my fault i cant deposit money in a savings account in college??? I needed beer money!). i think if you avoid actual people you can do ok...i don't remember the last time i was in a bank lobby, maybe changing coins once in the last 10 years.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29072
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby CourtesyFlush » 13 Mar 2008, 08:42

SouthernYokel wrote:
Dunking Donut wrote:You had sex with a pregnant woman? Gross. :)


Banks suck. The only one we never had a problem with is a credit union that we've had since we got married and we still do most of our business with and the local offices are in NJ. We need to go through affiliates and the like for other transactions which is fine and we just willingly pay fees for ATM transactions if I need to take out cash. It's not worth this kind of bullshit. We opened a small account a couple years ago to cut down on that kind of stuff and had nothing but trouble, I now work for said company in IT. It was so bad that I won't even open an account today...I just pay a fee when I take money out from the company ATM on the premises. I won't even use our own shit. The CEO sent out a nice letter about how great our service is and whatnot -- it's great RELATIVE TO OTHER BANKS. Compared to other industries, banking is the shits. The industry itself has got a long way to go to improve customer satisfaction.


i think there's a handshake agreement between all banks about what constitutes customer service. if you get terrible service everywhere, what difference does it make? I've been with (i think) your bank for a long time. haven't had too many problems (aside from them closing an account of mine when i was in college for inactivity; is it my fault i cant deposit money in a savings account in college??? I needed beer money!). i think if you avoid actual people you can do ok...i don't remember the last time i was in a bank lobby, maybe changing coins once in the last 10 years.


Banks, on the whole, suck balls. If I didn't work for FlushCo I'd be banking somewhere else because they've basically forgotten customer service for their core customers in favor of doing things just to get good PR.

Back to cheese's original rant...I didn't know closing your first credit line would affect your score negatively.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14003
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby bosux » 13 Mar 2008, 10:09

when i was young and dumber than i am now and super poor i swear the bank i was with would cash the largest check first so they could hit you for fees on the the smaller ones they cashed afterwards(and yes i realize i was a moron for writing checks for more than i had in my account)

i closed my account, moved to a credit union and never had a problem again

banks in general seem to me to be very greedy, short-sighted institutions
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 17026
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Fletch » 13 Mar 2008, 11:07

CourtesyFlush wrote:Back to cheese's original rant...I didn't know closing your first credit line would affect your score negatively.


I've worked for a company that sells credit reports for some time now. That is correct, though it depends on how many other accounts you opened about that time. The long and short is that having long-standing, established accounts with good history is a big help. But if Cheese opened a Discover card 5 months later and that was still open, the change would be negligible, I'd imagine. If he only had two cards (Cap One and say, Citibank) and the Citi was opened recently, that could hurt quite a bit, I'd imagine.

Farva wrote:you probably don't want to hear this, but it's more than a touch ironical that you kept the credit card to protect your credit rating, which thanks to all these shenanigans is probably going to take a hit.


Checking/savings accounts don't have shit to do with your credit score - overdraft and get service fees all you want, it won't mean a thing. Bounced checks don't mean shit, either. Unless you meant that maybe his Amex payment wouldn't go through, causing a 30-day late there, which would hurt.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
User avatar
Fletch
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: 30 Mar 2006, 10:19
Location: Number 2

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Rodney Farva » 13 Mar 2008, 11:15

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
Farva wrote:you probably don't want to hear this, but it's more than a touch ironical that you kept the credit card to protect your credit rating, which thanks to all these shenanigans is probably going to take a hit.


Checking/savings accounts don't have shit to do with your credit score - overdraft and get service fees all you want, it won't mean a thing. Bounced checks don't mean shit, either. Unless you meant that maybe his Amex payment wouldn't go through, causing a 30-day late there, which would hurt.


yeah, i meant if it results in him bouncing checks all over the place or having payments denied that the companies not being paid might end up reporting him. but good point on the overdrafts.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 24508
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Jew Jitsu » 13 Mar 2008, 11:28

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:Back to cheese's original rant...I didn't know closing your first credit line would affect your score negatively.


I've worked for a company that sells credit reports for some time now. That is correct, though it depends on how many other accounts you opened about that time. The long and short is that having long-standing, established accounts with good history is a big help. But if Cheese opened a Discover card 5 months later and that was still open, the change would be negligible, I'd imagine. If he only had two cards (Cap One and say, Citibank) and the Citi was opened recently, that could hurt quite a bit, I'd imagine.

Farva wrote:you probably don't want to hear this, but it's more than a touch ironical that you kept the credit card to protect your credit rating, which thanks to all these shenanigans is probably going to take a hit.


Checking/savings accounts don't have shit to do with your credit score - overdraft and get service fees all you want, it won't mean a thing. Bounced checks don't mean shit, either. Unless you meant that maybe his Amex payment wouldn't go through, causing a 30-day late there, which would hurt.


deciphing the credit ratings is like cracking the navajo code during WW II. For example I didn't know that canceling your first CC is gonna put a dent in your history much more then other ones. I've canceled mine because I didn't use it (only a 500 bucks limit as opposed to my other citi bank which has 6000) and i've just found out it's gonna be a problem. I mean i have a great rating (i think) i've never overcharged my CC, I've always send the payment in on time (and in full), and I've had my citi card for a couple years.
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
User avatar
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8590
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 15:12
Location: Sunset Blvd., North Pole

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Fletch » 13 Mar 2008, 11:36

Jew Jitsu wrote:
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:Back to cheese's original rant...I didn't know closing your first credit line would affect your score negatively.


I've worked for a company that sells credit reports for some time now. That is correct, though it depends on how many other accounts you opened about that time. The long and short is that having long-standing, established accounts with good history is a big help. But if Cheese opened a Discover card 5 months later and that was still open, the change would be negligible, I'd imagine. If he only had two cards (Cap One and say, Citibank) and the Citi was opened recently, that could hurt quite a bit, I'd imagine.

Farva wrote:you probably don't want to hear this, but it's more than a touch ironical that you kept the credit card to protect your credit rating, which thanks to all these shenanigans is probably going to take a hit.


Checking/savings accounts don't have shit to do with your credit score - overdraft and get service fees all you want, it won't mean a thing. Bounced checks don't mean shit, either. Unless you meant that maybe his Amex payment wouldn't go through, causing a 30-day late there, which would hurt.


deciphing the credit ratings is like cracking the navajo code during WW II. For example I didn't know that canceling your first CC is gonna put a dent in your history much more then other ones. I've canceled mine because I didn't use it (only a 500 bucks limit as opposed to my other citi bank which has 6000) and i've just found out it's gonna be a problem. I mean i have a great rating (i think) i've never overcharged my CC, I've always send the payment in on time (and in full), and I've had my citi card for a couple years.


I haven't been around credit reports/scores here for awhile, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's all relative, and I don't think the dent is all that much, but it's really a case-by-case thing. How many other revolving accounts did you have at the time? How long had they been opened? etc, etc.

Considering what you say about paying on time and not having a high balance, I'm sure you're fine. There are much bigger things to worry about, like having a lot of available credit on your CCs, and (obviously) not foreclosing or having collection accts on your report.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
User avatar
Fletch
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: 30 Mar 2006, 10:19
Location: Number 2

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Frank the Tank » 13 Mar 2008, 11:43

I just refinanced my mortgage and was discouraged to see a 90-day-late item from May 2002 was still bringing me down. It pisses me off even more that IT WASN'T FUCKING LATE AND THE PHONE COMPANY WON'T TAKE IT OFF!!!

Go fuck yourself Southern New England Telephone / SBC / AT&T.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31376
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Jew Jitsu » 13 Mar 2008, 11:44

i've never had a foreclosing or collection agency business. So it's not a good thing to have a large available account balance on your credit cards? I have a citi bank card that i use daily and i have another visa that i don't use, it's just in my drawer. I've also have a best buy and circuit city CC which i only use to pay for stuff at those respective stores.
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
User avatar
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8590
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 15:12
Location: Sunset Blvd., North Pole

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Frank the Tank » 13 Mar 2008, 11:47

Jew Jitsu wrote:i've never had a foreclosing or collection agency business. So it's not a good thing to have a large available account balance on your credit cards? I have a citi bank card that i use daily and i have another visa that i don't use, it's just in my drawer. I've also have a best buy and circuit city CC which i only use to pay for stuff at those respective stores.


I read once that having more than 30% of your credit limit outstanding usually leads to a harsher ding in your scores.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31376
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Worst Customer Service Experiences

Postby Fletch » 13 Mar 2008, 11:48

Jew Jitsu wrote:i've never had a foreclosing or collection agency business. So it's not a good thing to have a large available account balance on your credit cards? I have a citi bank card that i use daily and i have another visa that i don't use, it's just in my drawer. I've also have a best buy and circuit city CC which i only use to pay for stuff at those respective stores.


Sorry, I worded badly - just the opposite. The best situation you can have is to have a few credit cards, each with huge credit lines and no balances. It shows that, if you were crunched for money, you'd have a lot of time to put charges on your CCs before you truly ran out of cash/options.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
User avatar
Fletch
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: 30 Mar 2006, 10:19
Location: Number 2

Next

Return to Misc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests