↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

Other stuff in other stuff.

Baseball Stars (Or The Official Video Game Thread)

Postby friskysman » 24 Sep 2005, 01:40

I love that damn game. I am like 35-1 in a season with the American Dreams. I believe "Joe" is hitting something like .531 with 38 homeruns. And no, I'm not getting bored.

I did start a new season with a made up team. Of course, I'm playing against the Lovely Ladies all the time to try to build up my stats. The first game ended up 1-0 after 15 innings.

Anybody else still play this game? I can't believe how well it holds up after all these years. By far the best baseball game ever made for NES, and maybe even for all console systems (best baseball game ever, by the way, is the High Heat franchise for PC).
Last edited by friskysman on 07 Oct 2005, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
friskysman
Another dude worth meeting

Re: Baseball Stars

Postby nova » 24 Sep 2005, 07:29

friskysman wrote:I love that damn game. I am like 35-1 in a season with the American Dreams. I believe "Joe" is hitting something like .531 with 38 homeruns. And no, I'm not getting bored.

I did start a new season with a made up team. Of course, I'm playing against the Lovely Ladies all the time to try to build up my stats. The first game ended up 1-0 after 15 innings.

Anybody else still play this game? I can't believe how well it holds up after all these years. By far the best baseball game ever made for NES, and maybe even for all console systems (best baseball game ever, by the way, is the High Heat franchise for PC).

Baseball Stars owns. If I can just find a simple, four button controller for my PC, I will fire up Nesticle, and put my NCAA dynasty on hold.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby TheWolf » 26 Sep 2005, 14:27

Baseball Stars is on my short list of greatest video games ever created. I never understood why you made the most money for playing the Lovely Ladies though though. And you barely made anything for beating the American Dreams, who were by far the best team in the game. This baffles me to this very day.

I spent a few hours taking my NES apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together a couple years ago, only because I wanted to salvage it so I could continue playing Baseball Stars and The Legend of Zelda. Sadly, it didn't survive the surgery.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Briandong79 » 26 Sep 2005, 14:29

Baseball Stars ranks about as good as it gets. We used to make teams made up of people from our neighborhood all the time.

I think you got more money as the Lovely Ladies for the "services" performed after the game.

Baseball Stars, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Tecmo Super Bowl.....damn those were some good games.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby SouthernYokel » 26 Sep 2005, 14:33

the baseball game on the game boy was oddly entertaining too. It was just called "Baseball," and you could only be home or away (on Mario or Luigi's team, respectively). The runner and ball were the slowest things ever, but i still would sit there and play for hours.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TheWolf » 26 Sep 2005, 14:36

Major League Baseball for NES wasn't bad either, but nowhere near the level of Baseball Stars.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby NFL Outsider » 26 Sep 2005, 14:38

I still have my original team from college that is more formidble than the Dusty Rhodes ... err ... American Dreams. I made teams over the years to keep it interesting and now I have a couple of teams as good as the Dreams to from a league.

I now want to pull my nintendo out of the closet to start playing this game and put the Las Vegas Rat Pack of Madden on the shelf.
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Briandong79 » 26 Sep 2005, 14:41

Baseball Simulator 1.000 was a cool game, you had little trick hits like a rocket and stuff you could do, but it allowed you to run a very detailed full season, which was damn cool.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 26 Sep 2005, 15:24

TheWolf wrote:Baseball Stars is on my short list of greatest video games ever created. I never understood why you made the most money for playing the Lovely Ladies though though. And you barely made anything for beating the American Dreams, who were by far the best team in the game. This baffles me to this very day.

It all depends on which mode you are playing. A victory in League Play pays according to the combined Prestige of the teams playing. (The Lovely Ladies had the highest Prestige out of all the computer teams). A victory in VS. mode pays according to the ability of the team you beat. (The American Dreams were by far the best team, thus paying you off more money if you beat them).

The way to create a good team for a 25 game season with the American Dreams is to first Create 6 teams. View the top pitcher and the 4th batter on each team you created looking for Max 84 for pitchers and Max 87 or 89 for batters. Keep trading the 84/87/89 players on to one team. Delete your other created teams and create more until you have a full team of 84/87/89s.

Then play a 25 game season with the Lovely Ladies, but control both teams. Beat the Ladies 10-0 to earn money quickly, and keep hiking up your prestige with every pay day. Eventually you will be able to Max out your players and be able to hold a good series against the Dreams (or if you have a friend who is as big a loser as you, he can make his own team too).

There was once a legend about throwing a perfect game against the American Dreams resulting in a pay day of something like $999,999,999,999, which would allow you to fire all of your players and buy all guys with a perfect Max of 90. I had a friend get it, but was never fortunate enough to get it myself.

Anyway, I'm a dork. Thanks for your time.
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby SouthernYokel » 26 Sep 2005, 15:27

that deserves a "YO!"
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby bostonredsox1002 » 26 Sep 2005, 16:17

Uhh.... Go ps2?
Ultimate Frisbee record: 1-1
Back on track son.
bostonredsox1002
Etiquette Instructor

Postby TheWolf » 26 Sep 2005, 16:19

Damn kids and their new-fangled technology. I love PS2 as much as the next guy, but nothing will ever surpass the true beauty that was the Nintendo Entertainment System. Everything before it was cool for its time, and I loved Atari before I had Nintendo, but it just didn't quite make it to the point where it could stand the test of time IMO. NES, on the other hand, will always be awesome, no matter how great the video games of the future may be.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Briandong79 » 26 Sep 2005, 16:21

I still remember seeing Pro Wrestling on NES for the first time, and to actually see a body slam and have it sort of resemble the real thing, that was pretty much the coolest thing ever. That is the very first time I saw an NES, and I can tell you exactly where I was when I saw it. I'd say it made a slight impact on my childhood.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby SouthernYokel » 26 Sep 2005, 16:21

SNES stays up there for me as well as the original. A Link to the Past is ridiculous. I still cant believe they could make such a complex and rewarding game on such a simple platform.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Briandong79 » 26 Sep 2005, 16:24

Yeah, my Sega Genesis days are definitely up there as well. I remember playing Madden '92 on that and just thinking that was the coolest thing in the world. The SD Chargers were my favorite team in that, because you could bring Leslie O'Neal and Junior Seau off the edges and get to the QB just about every time. Plus Ronnie Harmon, Marion Butts, and some other guy were about 1000 times better than they ever were in real life.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Next

Return to Misc.