SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Re: Your hood--pros and cons

Postby PhillyJim76 » 13 Jan 2018, 23:27

Ok. Here’s my logic. Born in Philadelphia and lived in the city until I was 29. Went to a shitty inter city catholic high school which had nothing to offer. I don’t know anyone who is successful. The neighborhood I grew up in is a complete shithole now. If someone asked me where I’m from and I say “oh near the main line (Villanova area where the rich people live) I’d be lying and a fraud. I am from where I am from. So I can’t stand when people who aren’t from and who never lived in Philadelphia try to claim they are from there, whether it is to try and be cool or have “street cred”. It’s not just me. Literally everyone I know who grew up in Philly loses their shit when someone tells them they are from Philly and you go “oh what neighborhood” or “oh what high school” and they say some place that is in Delaware County or that they went to Radnor High School. If that makes me the new Ogie Oglethorpe then so be it.

I have zero issue when someone properly says where they are from and then say it’s “outside of Philly” if Philly is the nearest major city.
It feels so good to be back.
PhillyJim76
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 13 Jan 2018, 23:36

PhillyJim76 wrote:Ok. Here’s my logic. Born in Philadelphia and lived in the city until I was 29. Went to a shitty inter city catholic high school which had nothing to offer. I don’t know anyone who is successful. The neighborhood I grew up in is a complete shithole now. If someone asked me where I’m from and I say “oh near the main line (Villanova area where the rich people live) I’d be lying and a fraud. I am from where I am from. So I can’t stand when people who aren’t from and who never lived in Philadelphia try to claim they are from there, whether it is to try and be cool or have “street cred”. It’s not just me. Literally everyone I know who grew up in Philly loses their shit when someone tells them they are from Philly and you go “oh what neighborhood” or “oh what high school” and they say some place that is in Delaware County or that they went to Radnor High School. If that makes me the new Ogie Oglethorpe then so be it.

I have zero issue when someone properly says where they are from and then say it’s “outside of Philly” if Philly is the nearest major city.

It all depends who you're talking to. When I lived in another country and people asked where I was from, I'd just say Boston cause they've heard of it and don't really understand where anything else is in relation to shit. But I grew up like 30 miles from Boston, not even in a place that anyone normal would call a Boston suburb, and the I moved to another state. So I'd never say I'm from Boston if I was talking to people who understand the regional geography.

Matt Ryan is from close to Philly. He's playing against the Eagles. The media is gonna say he's from Philly because no one outside the area knows that the fuck Exton is. Its not like Ryan is out there saying he was up to no good making trouble in Will Smith's neighborhood. This isn't complicated.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby PhillyJim76 » 13 Jan 2018, 23:39

lol it has nothing to do with matt Ryan. I use the matt Ryan / exton / penn charter thing to take veiled shots at BSMB.
You are one hundred percent right though Wolf. When talking to someone from California, you are from Boston. But you’d be foolish to tell someone from Boston you are from Boston.
PhillyJim76
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 13 Jan 2018, 23:42

Literally everywhere is like that
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TheWolf » 13 Jan 2018, 23:42

PhillyJim76 wrote:lol it has nothing to do with matt Ryan. I use the matt Ryan / exton / penn charter thing to take veiled shots at BSMB.
You are one hundred percent right though Wolf. When talking to someone from California, you are from Boston. But you’d be foolish to tell someone from Boston you are from Boston.

Exactly. And I know you're not just talking about Ryan, I'm just using him as an example.

Also, yokel gets it.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby PhillyJim76 » 13 Jan 2018, 23:55

Anyway Philly is a complete shithole now, a modern day Haiti if you will
PhillyJim76
The Bomb Dick

Postby bosux » 14 Jan 2018, 07:59

PhillyJim76 wrote:Anyway Philly is a complete shithole now, a modern day Haiti if you will

it's weird how the hipsters are embracing first fishtown and now kensington(!) doe
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby PhillyJim76 » 14 Jan 2018, 08:27

bosux wrote:
PhillyJim76 wrote:Anyway Philly is a complete shithole now, a modern day Haiti if you will

it's weird how the hipsters are embracing first fishtown and now kensington(!) doe

Let them have Kensington. I grew up the next neighborhood up from there. Holy shit that was a rough neighborhood.

For those of you that don’t know, go watch Rocky Balboa or Rocky V. There is no “EL” in South Philly. All those scenes are shot in Kensington.
PhillyJim76
The Bomb Dick

Postby bosux » 14 Jan 2018, 09:47

PhillyJim76 wrote:
bosux wrote:

Let them have Kensington. I grew up the next neighborhood up from there. Holy shit that was a rough neighborhood.

For those of you that don’t know, go watch Rocky Balboa or Rocky V. There is no “EL” in South Philly. All those scenes are shot in Kensington.

my buddy that i had the Yankee tickets with grew up in kensington, then they got bougie and moved out to juniata
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby PhillyJim76 » 14 Jan 2018, 10:06

bosux wrote:
PhillyJim76 wrote:
bosux wrote:

my buddy that i had the Yankee tickets with grew up in kensington, then they got bougie and moved out to juniata

Juniata was once the crown jewel of the river wards.
PhillyJim76
The Bomb Dick

Postby mj3528 » 25 Jan 2018, 12:27

Briandong79 wrote:I don't know what else you'd pick for Iowa besides the Amanas...the Field of Dreams maybe?

Iowa is not heaven apparently:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/%e2%80%98field-of-dreams%e2%80%99-fans-have-donated-dollar8000-after-vandals-damaged-the-field/ar-AAv9UrQ?li=BBnbfcL

The owner of the iconic Field of Dreams site in Dyersville, Iowa, is hoping to raise $15,000 to repair the field after vandals drove a car across the diamond and caused considerable damage to the field. The field serves as a major tourist attraction in the area, and is visited by 100,000 people each year.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby the cheese » 25 Jan 2018, 14:01

Having never seen the film, I don't quite get the appeal of visiting an empty baseball field.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby TheWolf » 25 Jan 2018, 14:03

Having seen the film, I don't quite get the appeal of visiting an empty baseball field.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mj3528 » 25 Jan 2018, 14:03

the cheese wrote:Having never seen the film, I don't quite get the appeal of visiting an empty baseball field.

It is one of my favorite movies, but I concur with your thoughts on the lack of the appeal of visiting the site. I guess if for some reason, which is hard to imagine, I was nearby I guess I would take a look.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
mj3528
#QM

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.