Politics

Other stuff in other stuff.

Politics

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 28 Feb 2005, 14:58

Beer Goggles wrote:Anybody here know about organizational psychology/executive coaching/industrial psychology? I'm hoping to consult with business type firms after I finish grad work in psychology this year. I really don't want to help people anymore...I just want to make some $$$.

Amen, helping people is way overrated, most of them will just try and dink you over the first chance they get anyway. Might as well make the $$$ so you can hire a lawyer to protect yourself later down the road.
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 28 Feb 2005, 15:01

howboutafrescahmmm wrote:
Beer Goggles wrote:Anybody here know about organizational psychology/executive coaching/industrial psychology? I'm hoping to consult with business type firms after I finish grad work in psychology this year. I really don't want to help people anymore...I just want to make some $$$.

Amen, helping people is way overrated, most of them will just try and dink you over the first chance they get anyway. Might as well make the $$$ so you can hire a lawyer to protect yourself later down the road.

Ahh yes, spoken like a true republican.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Snake » 28 Feb 2005, 15:04

It's just realism. One of the Democratic party's major problems is that they see the world as they want it to be as opposed to what it is (which is full of stupid people). When one party assumes more about its constituents than the other, it's losing. Sad but true.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 28 Feb 2005, 15:06

Oh look the burn-out tried to make a funny. Actually its spoken from years of experience.
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 28 Feb 2005, 15:20

howboutafrescahmmm wrote:Oh look the burn-out tried to make a funny. Actually its spoken from years of experience.

Name calling? Jeez buddy, there is no need to get personal.

As for the politics of what I said, there is no denying that your attitude is central to the Republican philosophy of focusing on the individual instead of the collective. I believe in helping others get ahead. I didn't know that made me a burn out.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 28 Feb 2005, 15:23

Actually starting your messages with "I am way drunk and super stoned" makes you a burn-out. The focus of your party isn't to help people to get ahead, it is to convince them that it is everyone else's fault that they are lazy and they should relax and let everyone with a job pay their way.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 28 Feb 2005, 15:55

howboutafrescahmmm wrote:Actually starting your messages with "I am way drunk and super stoned" makes you a burn-out. The focus of your party isn't to help people to get ahead, it is to convince them that it is everyone else's fault that they are lazy and they should relax and let everyone with a job pay their way.

I did that on Oscar night because I was at a friggin Oscar party. I was PARTYING. I am by no means a burn out at all, I have a College Degree, I am a successfull professional, and I am going to starting grad school this fall. I thought burn outs didnt do anything with their lives? Was I mistaken?

As for the focus of my political party, my party's focus is helping the people in THIS country have the tools to improve their lives. We believe that those who make less money should not have to pay more in taxes. We believe in fortifying this countries defenses at home (boarder patrols, ports) rather than starting pre-emptive wars against countries who never attacked us. We believe in being a citizen of the world, but keeping the interests of our citizens at home our top priority. We also believe in making sure that every child in this country has something to eat, and has the opportunity to improve their lives through education in a safe enviornment. We believe in the rights of workers, we believe that American companies should not get tax breaks (including those who support democrats) in this country if their outsoursing to other countries. We believe in government support of the sciences (without which we would have no internet) and its support of the arts. We believe in the the Constitution as the foundation of our Democracy as a living document.

You can try to charachterize my party as something its not all you want, but the truth is that America and Americans in the past benefited from our policies (the New Deal, The Civil Rights Movement, the Information Age) and in the future America will benefit from our ideas and our policies as well.

I don't understand your virile hostility to the Democratic party or to helping others. Do you think that name calling and hostility will convince me to change my mind and agree with you? Or are you just belittling me for fun?

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JohnnyDamon » 28 Feb 2005, 16:11

Bacon, I don't know if you know this, but the Civil Rights movement was basically the Republicans doing. Kennedy thought the Civil Rights Movement was an embarrassment, LBJ was a pretty fervent segregationist in Texas, and governors George Wallace, Ross Barnett, and Lester Maddox were ALL Democrats. Honestly, if not for James Meredith, then Civil Rights legislation would have never really gotten off the ground. You can claim up and down that those people would be Republicans in this day and age, but I know Wallace and Barnett were Democrats until their dying days. Yes, there are still bad people in the Republican party (although I didn't get as pissed off as some over Trent Lott's statement at a 100 year old man's birthday party, I thought he was trying to be nice and ended up putting his foot right in his mouth), but the Democratic party does have a former KKK member in its party, and he once stated "Georgia needs the Klan now more than ever." He's also the same guy that used the worst racial epithet many black folks can think of, on NATIONAL TELEVISION...
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby mister bacon » 28 Feb 2005, 16:36

JohnnyDamon wrote:Bacon, I don't know if you know this, but the Civil Rights movement was basically the Republicans doing. Kennedy thought the Civil Rights Movement was an embarrassment, LBJ was a pretty fervent segregationist in Texas, and governors George Wallace, Ross Barnett, and Lester Maddox were ALL Democrats. Honestly, if not for James Meredith, then Civil Rights legislation would have never really gotten off the ground. You can claim up and down that those people would be Republicans in this day and age, but I know Wallace and Barnett were Democrats until their dying days. Yes, there are still bad people in the Republican party (although I didn't get as pissed off as some over Trent Lott's statement at a 100 year old man's birthday party, I thought he was trying to be nice and ended up putting his foot right in his mouth), but the Democratic party does have a former KKK member in its party, and he once stated "Georgia needs the Klan now more than ever." He's also the same guy that used the worst racial epithet many black folks can think of, on NATIONAL TELEVISION...

Nixons voting strategy in the late sixties was to pick up all the anti-integrationist votes left by the democrats in the south.. which is how the south ended up going republican. As far as the civil rights movement goes.. during the sixties the President was Democrat and Congress was a majority Democratic. LBJ may have been a sepratist in his past, but I give him the ultimate credit for sending Federal troops to enforce unpopular supreme court rulings, something that before Kennedy (Lincoln and the civil war aside) rarely if ever happened.

I'm not arguing that all Democrats are good people nor are they all as progressive as I wished. I am arguing that the principles of the party are whats best for this country.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JohnnyDamon » 28 Feb 2005, 16:54

You can say that, but what about Bobby and John Kennedy's decision to segregate the troops at Ole Miss when they got there. That was among the worst decisions in the history of time. Still, I will say 2 things:

A. The first case of federal troops being sent in to uphold federal school integration occurred in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957. President at the time, Eisenhower, who was a Republican. Oddly, the man that led the troops was a man named Billy Walker. WAlker was a staunch segregationist who actually led a mob in Oxford in 1962, when Meredith was admitted.

B. It did take major stones for Kennedy to send in federal troops. The problem was he fucked it up terribly, sending a small group of federal marshals with no riot control training, and basically forcing those 200 or so men to face around 5000 or so racist dickfaces who had guns, rocks, and the Mississippi State Troopers on their side. He finally gave the orders for the feds to come in, and it's a great thing he did, or it would have been ugly.

LBJ, while I think a prick in real life, was absolutely gutsy in his dealings with the federal busing. He does get props from me for that. I may be one of the few REpublicans who actually think that Kennedy, who for all his segregationist beliefs before October, 1962, helped black people, and Johnson were great Presidents. Sadly, many southern Democrats felt differently, and only 61% of the Representatives voted in favor of the Civil Rights Act, while 80% of the Republican reps voted for the CRA, and in the Senate, 69% voted for the CRA, opposed to 82% Republican.

Oh, and Nixon was a shithead who I legitimately despise. I was the only person in my political science class to have a Republican as my political hero and most hated political figure.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby MarylandFanatic » 28 Feb 2005, 19:52

"I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person?s dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.

I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.

I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.

I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.

I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.

I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.

I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.

I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world."

That would be the Republican creed for those that don't know
MarylandFanatic
Hope College Alum

Postby MarylandFanatic » 28 Feb 2005, 19:54

"You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room......maybe if they had the hotel staff in here."

That would be a quote from HOWARD DEAN at his news conference when he became leader of the DNC.

Looks like Democrats can be racially insensitive too.
MarylandFanatic
Hope College Alum

Postby jack_daniels » 28 Feb 2005, 19:58

The prbolem for the Democrats is that they don't have a true leader in the fashion of Clinton. We'll see what happens on the '08 ticket, but I doubt the Democrats will be in office this decade.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby mandingo » 28 Feb 2005, 21:32

The problem with the Democrats is that they currently pander to too many disparate special interest groups and many of these groups simply do not have much pull nationwide. To keep up their history as leaders of progressive civil rights beliefs, the Democratic Party has to support things like gay rights which alienate rural social conservatives who would otherwise vote Democrat.
I highly recommend "A National Party No More" by Zell Miller. While he is somewhat nuts he makes very good points on why the Democratic Party must change its ways. Pandering to the farthest left will not get the DNC anywhere. To win nationally the Dems need someone who does not have an outlandishly liberal voting record, who can speak to the average voter (like Bill Clinton did) and who can win outside of the major cities and New England. Barack Obama anyone?
Here's a link to the 2004 county by county map. If the Dems could just capture a handful of suburban/exurban counties in some key states, they could certainly return to power.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicsel ... ntymap.htm
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby Snake » 01 Mar 2005, 02:03

Let's not get into the Civil Rights movement, as it really isn't very relevant for today's political scene. I could point out that Lincoln was the first Republican and that the Democrats were the party of secession and slavery during the Civil War, but that doesn't have much impact either. I believe that the Republican's are ultimately correct in their moral goals of free society and small government, but that the party has been hijacked by a small group of far right neoconservatives and religious right types, and the Democrats don't provide a real option as an alternative, particularly if you were in favor of the war. Republican's need to get it together and take back our party, because I know that most of us (certainly those of us on this board) who are Republicans didn't choose the party to stamp out abortion and free speech er... obscenity. The idea of individualism and what the Republicans theoretically stand for is a stronger platform than the Democrats, but the Republican party as it stands right now with all that Religious Right BS is not working.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Next

Return to Misc.