Which dice are you rolling? (Board Games)

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Which dice are you rolling? (Board Games)

Postby the cheese » 27 Mar 2014, 10:49

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Professional backgammon has been a thing for a long time.

THIS^^^

For centuries.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby chrisco » 27 Mar 2014, 13:25

the cheese wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Professional backgammon has been a thing for a long time.

THIS^^^

For centuries.

So has getting anchors tattooed to your chest, but the hipsters own that too now.

Accept it, hipsters can lay claim to anything they want and its all over of the rest of you. Its why you hate them so much, its really just co-opting envy.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 29 Mar 2014, 09:26

Also the world's best backgammon tournament players only pull down D'Annunzio money. The big money is in the unreported private games. There's apparently some guy in Florida who will fly anywhere to play anyone at any time provided they both start with a million bucks at risk.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Prez » 29 Mar 2014, 09:33

Frank the Tank wrote:Also the world's best backgammon tournament players only pull down D'Annunzio money. The big money is in the unreported private games. There's apparently some guy in Florida who will fly anywhere to play anyone at any time provided they both start with a million bucks at risk.

This is puzzling. I love backgammon, but don't see enough of a advantage for a great player over an average player. The luck of the dice plays such a huge part of the game.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Frank the Tank » 29 Mar 2014, 09:41

Prez wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:Also the world's best backgammon tournament players only pull down D'Annunzio money. The big money is in the unreported private games. There's apparently some guy in Florida who will fly anywhere to play anyone at any time provided they both start with a million bucks at risk.

This is puzzling. I love backgammon, but don't see enough of a advantage for a great player over an average player. The luck of the dice plays such a huge part of the game.

When you play with the doubling cube a superior player can make a lot of money. Without the doubling cube, there's still profit opportunity but admittedly much less.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 29 Mar 2014, 10:02

Just when I think we've reached critical Goon mass, something else pops up. There's Backgammon Goons, now?
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Rodney Farva » 29 Mar 2014, 11:56

i was going to ask what a doubling cube is but i'm afraid someone will answer
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 29 Mar 2014, 12:45

Rodney Farva wrote:i was going to ask what a doubling cube is but i'm afraid someone will answer

Your fear was warranted.

It's this thing:

If you've ever purchased a backgammon set you've probably seen one of these inside. It looks like a die, but you don't roll it. It simply keeps track of how many points the game is worth. You agree to play for $X per point. Before your roll, you may choose to offer your opponent a double. You do this by turning the cube to the proper number (the first double would be to "2") and placing the cube in front of your opponent. At that point your opponent must either accept the cube and play for $(2X) or refuse the cube and resign a loss of the original stakes. If you accept a double, you then "own the cube", and you are the only person allowed to make the next double. Even though the cube only goes up to 64, there is no limit as to how many times you can double. From a practical standpoint, it rarely exceeds four or eight in games between skilled players.

The other thing to remember is that you get bonuses for winning gammons (when you bear off all fifteen checkers before your opponent has removed a single one, entitling you to twice the agreed stakes) and backgammons (when you bear off all fifteen checkers before your opponent has removed a single one AND your opponent still has one or more checkers in your "home board" of the six points you must occupy while bearing off, entitling you to three times the agreed stakes). When playing for cash, the Jacoby Rule is in play, meaning that there is no bonus for a gammon or backgammon until the cube has been turned to at least 2.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby White Lightning » 30 Mar 2014, 14:45

Mario Speedwagon wrote:Just when I think we've reached critical Goon mass, something else pops up. There's Backgammon Goons, now?

I think I have been pretty clearly auditioning to join CTZ as a bocce goon.

What can't we be goons of?
Gregs Kite - Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am: WL is funny, possibly a full blown alcoholic, and seemingly not a prissy dickhead.
White Lightning
Etiquette Instructor

Postby the cheese » 18 Jun 2014, 12:58

Pretty great article on Diplomacy

Which I'd never heard of before, but about which I am now very interested.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 18 Jun 2014, 13:04

the cheese wrote:Pretty great article on Diplomacy

One of the professors at LDot College had a board constructed in his basement that was room sized and on the floor and organized games. Never played but was also intrigued.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby the cheese » 18 Jun 2014, 13:08

One of the professors at LDot College had a board constructed in his basement that was room sized and on the floor and organized games. Never played but was also intrigued.

At first blush, I would bet on Bacon, Tank, and Dunk having played Diplomacy at some point. Not sure about the rest of the board.

ETA: Cross post to Grantland thread.
the cheese
The Douche

Postby SouthernYokel » 18 Jun 2014, 13:28

that is a good article. i don't think i have 6 friends i could convince to play that kind of game.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Gregs Kite » 18 Jun 2014, 13:46

SouthernYokel wrote:

that is a good article. i don't think i have 6 friends i could convince to play that kind of game.

Get it for your Supper Club.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Aug 2014, 17:19

Scrabble has added "meh" to the official game dictionary.

I think we can accurately take credit for this.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.