Which dice are you rolling? (Board Games)

Other stuff in other stuff.

Which dice are you rolling? (Board Games)

Postby Adam Carolla » 28 Nov 2007, 11:52

Even more than the following deserves an enormous, 8-days-late, "Amen,"

Frank the Tank wrote:But no money in free parking! I fucking can't stand when people talk about how long Monopoly takes to play and then they turn around and keep putting $500 bills in free parking. The game goes by at a good pace if you follow the stated goal of reducing your opponents' bankrolls, but if you keep artificially increasing the money supply with bullshit rules like that of course the game's going to take forever.

SOTSG deserves a Board Games thread, especially this time of year. When this eventually results in a 6-month long game of Diplomacy via PM, you'll thank me.

In the mean time,
Frank the Tank wrote:Monopoly is one of the five greatest games ever invented. This is not debatable.

No, but the rest of the list may be. A boring but acceptable one probably looks something like this:

1. Chess
2. Monopoly
3. Scrabble
4. Go
5. Backgammon
Adam Carolla
Another dude worth meeting

Location: Bringing this ice cream maker all the way from Bespin to pegs near you in 2009.

Re: Which dice are you rolling? (Board Games)

Postby Prez » 28 Nov 2007, 11:55

Adam Carolla wrote:Even more than the following deserves an enormous, 8-days-late, "Amen,"

Frank the Tank wrote:But no money in free parking! I fucking can't stand when people talk about how long Monopoly takes to play and then they turn around and keep putting $500 bills in free parking. The game goes by at a good pace if you follow the stated goal of reducing your opponents' bankrolls, but if you keep artificially increasing the money supply with bullshit rules like that of course the game's going to take forever.

SOTSG deserves a Board Games thread, especially this time of year. When this eventually results in a 6-month long game of Diplomacy via PM, you'll thank me.

In the mean time,
Frank the Tank wrote:Monopoly is one of the five greatest games ever invented. This is not debatable.

No, but the rest of the list may be. A boring but acceptable one probably looks something like this:

1. Chess
2. Monopoly
3. Scrabble
4. Go
5. Backgammon

1. yes
2. no (i'll pretend yes for frank's sake)
3. yes
4. no
5. yes
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Theny » 28 Nov 2007, 12:05

Chess is $$. My brother got me the Lost board game last year for Christmas and I still haven't played it. I bet there's some clues in there too.

Yes, there's a Lost board game. Unbelievable.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Prez » 28 Nov 2007, 12:06

add Cribbage to my list
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby CourtesyFlush » 28 Nov 2007, 12:11

One man's opinion:

1. Trivial Pursuit (esp. Pop Culture editions)
2. Scrabble
3. Monopoly
4. Battleship
5. Risk :)
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby WampaOne » 28 Nov 2007, 12:18

I bought War Roman Empire as a gift for the wampette?s sister husband (forgot what that is called in english)...We?ll give it to him on his birthday saturday. I hope we play at least once after the get together is over. I can?t wait to see what they done to the game.

I haven?t played board games consistently in years. The wampette sometimes breaks out our pictionary when we have a get together coz no one really wants to play monopoly. I do all the time Frank!

I used to play with family members and college stuff like chess, dominoes, backgammon, dames?? (played in in the chess board with little round pieces, when you reach the end, you get a queen) etc.

Best game I?ve played though was some hardcore version of War. It was called World War II, and you could be the axis or the allies. You got your pieces accordingly, for instance, in the first half of the game, the axis got a bunch of stuff, and the axis had to defend like hell, and in the other half, it was the other way around. Since there was 2 fronts, you could play one against the other, or 2 against 2, one person covering one front. Great times.

Of course, I played a lot of D&D back in the day, which is not a board game per se. It?s all documented in the THACO tread, along with other hardcore geek stuff. :sniff: REGENERATION!
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby Theny » 28 Nov 2007, 12:32

you are such a dork wampa.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby butters » 28 Nov 2007, 12:32

Chess and Trivial Pursuit
butters
Pink Helmet

Postby myherobobhope » 28 Nov 2007, 12:38

Risk is the best...

and it's Checkers, wampa, and you get kinged at the end of the board.
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby mister bacon » 28 Nov 2007, 12:43

i enjoy a game of sorry!

in college some of my friends invented a "smoking" game based around the sorry! game called "ass". i wish i could remember the rules. :sniff:

another game which is really fun is the game apples to apples, this game where one person pulls cards with adjectives on them, while everyone has cards with random nouns on them.

this sounds really dorky, but the nouns range from words like keys, shorts, and the like to chuck norris, red fox, the white house etc..

its a lot of fun to play with people who are drinking.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Adam Carolla » 28 Nov 2007, 14:23

Yeah, Apples to Apples is probably the best party games in 20 years. Sadly, something keeps it from being one of my personal favorites, probably my own personality flaws; but it's like the anti-monopoly in that nobody in the history of time has ever balked at it, or even gotten tired of it. It goes over well every single time (which I almost resent). You can play it while you're distracted or carrying on a side conversation - but still feel invested in the outcome of every round. It should probably be in everybody's game closet [/John Tesh]
Adam Carolla
Another dude worth meeting

Location: Bringing this ice cream maker all the way from Bespin to pegs near you in 2009.

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 28 Nov 2007, 15:16

I played Apples to Apples this past weekend. Pretty fun. Of course maybe it is b/c I won, but who knows I was buzzed and it seemed fun.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Frank the Tank » 28 Nov 2007, 20:55

FUCK! I just typed up a long reply and lost it while checking a web link. Fuck fuck fuck.

I'm a total board game geek. I've been a member of the U.S. Chess Federation and the National Scrabble Association, and I ran several MONOPOLY(R) tournaments in college for charity, including one that produced that year's Massachusetts state champion. You don't want to know how many hours of my life I've spent thinking about Monopoly strategy.

Scrabble is one of the classics. The game's changed a lot with the most recent dictionary revision. Adding QI and ZA as legal words really changes the strategy with those ten-point tiles. The only reason I'm on facebook is to play Scrabulous.

Great call on Go Mr. Corolla. It may be an even better game than chess. I love how you can handicap the game to make it even between almost any two skill levels. I just wish it didn't take so long to play a good game on a 19x19 board. I can't stand playing 9x9. 13x13 is okay. I bought several books on the topic, but I still have trouble with basic life & death situations and I throw away too many stones trying to save hopeless positions.

I agree with Courtesy Flush that Risk is one of the modern classics. It can get a little tedious rolling out the battles, but it's a great design and lots of fun.

Did anyone ever play Axis and Allies? It's not completely accurate as a historical simulation, but it's a lot of fun as a strategy game. I highly recommend it to those of you who enjoy Risk and don't mind putting a half-hour into learning the rules of a game.

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll repeat it here since it's on topic: we picked up the game Khet a couple weeks ago and we all love it. If you like chess this would be right up your alley.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Dunking Donut » 28 Nov 2007, 21:25

D&D and some of the various spinoffs. MechWarrior was particularly fun.

I enjoy trivia games quite a bit. I'm not in the same league as FTT or JD but I do well against your average person. :)
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby WampaOne » 29 Nov 2007, 06:13

Frank the Tank wrote:Did anyone ever play Axis and Allies? It's not completely accurate as a historical simulation, but it's a lot of fun as a strategy game. I highly recommend it to those of you who enjoy Risk and don't mind putting a half-hour into learning the rules of a game.

The game we played was similar, but there was no Japan involved, the board showed only europe and north africa, as it was Germany and Italy against the allies (american forces joined after the first half). I thought that game was hardcore...
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Next

Return to Misc.