Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby bosux » 06 Oct 2017, 09:23

Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 17684
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby Goose » 06 Oct 2017, 09:41

bosux wrote:
Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions


Yeah, but now that they're cutting back on free private jets and military transport to attend their kids' school plays it's almost as bad as 10 years in prison.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
User avatar
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3986
Joined: 03 May 2006, 10:09
Location: Temple Terrace Hooters, waiting on Shamgod

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby chrisco » 06 Oct 2017, 10:42

Goose wrote:
bosux wrote:
Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions


Yeah, but now that they're cutting back on free private jets and military transport to attend their kids' school plays it's almost as bad as 10 years in prison.


Such short memories on you guys. Just 10 years ago, people were praising JP Morgan for helping provide liquidity during the global financial crisis. If the bank of Morgan was not on the job, we could have seen the entire financial system implode.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby mister bacon » 06 Oct 2017, 12:21

chrisco wrote:
Goose wrote:
bosux wrote:
Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions


Yeah, but now that they're cutting back on free private jets and military transport to attend their kids' school plays it's almost as bad as 10 years in prison.


Such short memories on you guys. Just 10 years ago, people were praising JP Morgan for helping provide liquidity during the global financial crisis. If the bank of Morgan was not on the job, we could have seen the entire financial system implode.



Image
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 27114
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby bosux » 06 Oct 2017, 12:36

chrisco wrote:
Goose wrote:
bosux wrote:
Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions


Yeah, but now that they're cutting back on free private jets and military transport to attend their kids' school plays it's almost as bad as 10 years in prison.


Such short memories on you guys. Just 10 years ago, people were praising JP Morgan for helping provide liquidity during the global financial crisis. If the bank of Morgan was not on the job, we could have seen the entire financial system implode.


are they the JP that saw 2 moves ahead, got into a big circle jerk formation with geithner and paulson, greased their assholes with taxpayer money, and bought the dip, while pretending to do the american public a favor?

JP Morgan, angels of mercy

PS: mister bacon, do you ever get tired of riding the wrong coat-tails?
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 17684
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby chrisco » 06 Oct 2017, 12:41

bosux wrote:
chrisco wrote:
Goose wrote:
bosux wrote:
Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions


Yeah, but now that they're cutting back on free private jets and military transport to attend their kids' school plays it's almost as bad as 10 years in prison.


Such short memories on you guys. Just 10 years ago, people were praising JP Morgan for helping provide liquidity during the global financial crisis. If the bank of Morgan was not on the job, we could have seen the entire financial system implode.


are they the JP that saw 2 moves ahead, got into a big circle jerk formation with geithner and paulson, greased their assholes with taxpayer money, and bought the dip, while pretending to do the american public a favor?

JP Morgan, angels of mercy

PS: mister bacon, do you ever get tired of riding the wrong coat-tails?


My post was missing a sarcasm emoji. While they were rightly applauded for being one of the few solvent institutions out there and doing more than their share to keep the system going during the crisis, that should in no way give them a grace period to act like assholes afterwards.

Also my gears are still ground from a couple weeks ago when Dimon shaded bitcoin and took my blockchains down in value.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby the cheese » 06 Oct 2017, 12:41

chrisco wrote:
bosux wrote:
chrisco wrote:
Goose wrote:
bosux wrote:
Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions


Yeah, but now that they're cutting back on free private jets and military transport to attend their kids' school plays it's almost as bad as 10 years in prison.


Such short memories on you guys. Just 10 years ago, people were praising JP Morgan for helping provide liquidity during the global financial crisis. If the bank of Morgan was not on the job, we could have seen the entire financial system implode.


are they the JP that saw 2 moves ahead, got into a big circle jerk formation with geithner and paulson, greased their assholes with taxpayer money, and bought the dip, while pretending to do the american public a favor?

JP Morgan, angels of mercy

PS: mister bacon, do you ever get tired of riding the wrong coat-tails?


My post was missing a sarcasm emoji. While they were rightly applauded for being one of the few solvent institutions out there and doing more than their share to keep the system going during the crisis, that should in no way give them a grace period to act like assholes afterwards.

Also my gears are still ground from a couple weeks ago when Dimon shaded bitcoin and took my blockchains down in value.


I thought it was the chinks that did that?
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18639
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby chrisco » 06 Oct 2017, 12:43

the cheese wrote:
chrisco wrote:
bosux wrote:
chrisco wrote:
Goose wrote:
bosux wrote:
Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions


Yeah, but now that they're cutting back on free private jets and military transport to attend their kids' school plays it's almost as bad as 10 years in prison.


Such short memories on you guys. Just 10 years ago, people were praising JP Morgan for helping provide liquidity during the global financial crisis. If the bank of Morgan was not on the job, we could have seen the entire financial system implode.


are they the JP that saw 2 moves ahead, got into a big circle jerk formation with geithner and paulson, greased their assholes with taxpayer money, and bought the dip, while pretending to do the american public a favor?

JP Morgan, angels of mercy

PS: mister bacon, do you ever get tired of riding the wrong coat-tails?


My post was missing a sarcasm emoji. While they were rightly applauded for being one of the few solvent institutions out there and doing more than their share to keep the system going during the crisis, that should in no way give them a grace period to act like assholes afterwards.

Also my gears are still ground from a couple weeks ago when Dimon shaded bitcoin and took my blockchains down in value.


I thought it was the chinks that did that?


It was a one two punch.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby the cheese » 06 Oct 2017, 12:46

chrisco wrote:
the cheese wrote:
chrisco wrote:
bosux wrote:
chrisco wrote:
Goose wrote:
bosux wrote:
Goose wrote:The free market at work.

tl;dr

Here's the (literal) money quote:

JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.


I'm sure all of the people involved will be properly prosecuted and jailed.


prosecuted and jailed aka given sweet cabinet level positions


Yeah, but now that they're cutting back on free private jets and military transport to attend their kids' school plays it's almost as bad as 10 years in prison.


Such short memories on you guys. Just 10 years ago, people were praising JP Morgan for helping provide liquidity during the global financial crisis. If the bank of Morgan was not on the job, we could have seen the entire financial system implode.


are they the JP that saw 2 moves ahead, got into a big circle jerk formation with geithner and paulson, greased their assholes with taxpayer money, and bought the dip, while pretending to do the american public a favor?

JP Morgan, angels of mercy

PS: mister bacon, do you ever get tired of riding the wrong coat-tails?


My post was missing a sarcasm emoji. While they were rightly applauded for being one of the few solvent institutions out there and doing more than their share to keep the system going during the crisis, that should in no way give them a grace period to act like assholes afterwards.

Also my gears are still ground from a couple weeks ago when Dimon shaded bitcoin and took my blockchains down in value.


I thought it was the chinks that did that?


It was a one two punch.


I still blame the gooks.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18639
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby mister bacon » 06 Oct 2017, 13:13

are they the JP that saw 2 moves ahead, got into a big circle jerk formation with geithner and paulson, greased their assholes with taxpayer money, and bought the dip, while pretending to do the american public a favor?

JP Morgan, angels of mercy

PS: mister bacon, do you ever get tired of riding the wrong coat-tails?


we can debate about whether this was true but it was the common perception circa 2008.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dimons ... rom-crisis

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8179742

because they did treasury and the Fed a favor and bought both bear Stearns and wamu. no one wanted either institutions liabilities at the time. as to taxpayer money jpm didn't need to take it but did so on instruction of the Fed to obscure which banks actually needed liquid capital and which didn't, (before the stress tests were created to give markets confidence in the strength of the American banking system again) which is why jpm was able to payback treasury so quickly.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/25/news/co ... /JPM_WaMu/


https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/jp ... -secretary

that said the glowing media that fostered this perception were all written by the same people who failed to see any of this coming. but it's accurate to say jp Morgan was perceived to be "saving the market from by providing liquidity" at the time.

jpm buying both bear and wamu, continuing to lend to bond markets, and make derivative markets for hedging purposes was critical to stabilizing the economy which was in freefall at the time imo. you're correct that jpm made huuuuge profits buying the crisis dip. that was their reward for buying bear and wamu. so Chris had it right. 10 years ago that was the perception.

if you think letting either bank fail was a better move to stabilize the economy please show your work in that regard.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 27114
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby chrisco » 06 Oct 2017, 13:45

mister bacon wrote:
are they the JP that saw 2 moves ahead, got into a big circle jerk formation with geithner and paulson, greased their assholes with taxpayer money, and bought the dip, while pretending to do the american public a favor?

JP Morgan, angels of mercy

PS: mister bacon, do you ever get tired of riding the wrong coat-tails?


we can debate about whether this was true but it was the common perception circa 2008.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dimons ... rom-crisis

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8179742

because they did treasury and the Fed a favor and bought both bear Stearns and wamu. no one wanted either institutions liabilities at the time. as to taxpayer money jpm didn't need to take it but did so on instruction of the Fed to obscure which banks actually needed liquid capital and which didn't, (before the stress tests were created to give markets confidence in the strength of the American banking system again) which is why jpm was able to payback treasury so quickly.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/25/news/co ... /JPM_WaMu/


https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/jp ... -secretary

that said the glowing media that fostered this perception were all written by the same people who failed to see any of this coming. but it's accurate to say jp Morgan was perceived to be "saving the market from by providing liquidity" at the time.

jpm buying both bear and wamu, continuing to lend to bond markets, and make derivative markets for hedging purposes was critical to stabilizing the economy which was in freefall at the time imo. you're correct that jpm made huuuuge profits buying the crisis dip. that was their reward for buying bear and wamu. so Chris had it right. 10 years ago that was the perception.

if you think letting either bank fail was a better move to stabilize the economy please show your work in that regard.


Image
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby chrisco » 13 Oct 2017, 09:59

#schadenfruede

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/12/in-of ... lenavtrend

https://www.wsj.com/articles/outcome-a- ... 1507834627

Outcome is a company that raised $500 million from Google and Goldman at a $5 billion valuation. They serve ads and content on screens in doctor's offices. I'm sure that they have a fancy word for it, but at the end of the day its a digital signage network that is running drug ads for captive audiences stuck waiting to see adoctor the nurse that does everything for the doctor.

They've been accused of making up tv installations on doctor's offices and faking the performance of the ads running on those screens.

Looking up and down the list of people who work with this company...

Investors: Google, Goldman Sachs
Advertisers: Bristol Meyers, Novo Nordisk, Pfizer
Supporters: Rahm Emmanuel, The Democratic Party, Bill Gurley

Not a very sympathetic cast of characters.

This company did $130 million in revenue last year. PonziCo did $155 million last year. Are we worth $5 billion dollars? :lol: :lol: :lol: You'd need to take $4.8 something billion off that number to get into the ballpark.

But, but these guys are delivering information to people at key moments in their purchasing process, and they are using a system that allows hyper targeting, custom messaging, and over the air content updating....yeah its the same fucking thing as those annoying TV screens on gas stations. PonziCo has a digital signage network in 1200 stores nationwide. We use it to run messages about ourselves so we don't have to put up so many posters on the walls. We've also tried selling advertising on it and its not taken off.

People New economy capitalists can be so fucking stupid. No sympathy for anyone here.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby chrisco » 28 Oct 2017, 12:44

I'd like to thank all our clients who supported our bold move out of melons and into rib futures.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... beef-rally
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby Theny » 28 Oct 2017, 21:11

chrisco wrote:I'd like to thank all our clients who supported our bold move out of melons and into rib futures.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... beef-rally


Thank the paleo movement for that one. Definitely some room to run there. I know brisket is making a huge comeback nationwide now that people aren't afraid of fat anymore. Make up your minds, scientists.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 31081
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby chrisco » 25 Dec 2017, 22:21

This article is about how horrible climate change is going to be. It covers a lot of different awfulness, but this is an interesting economic thought.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... umans.html

Dismal capitalism in a half-poorer world.

The murmuring mantra of global neoliberalism, which prevailed between the end of the Cold War and the onset of the Great Recession, is that economic growth would save us from anything and everything.

But in the aftermath of the 2008 crash, a growing number of historians studying what they call “fossil capitalism” have begun to suggest that the entire history of swift economic growth, which began somewhat suddenly in the 18th century, is not the result of innovation or trade or the dynamics of global capitalism but simply our discovery of fossil fuels and all their raw power — a onetime injection of new “value” into a system that had previously been characterized by global subsistence living. Before fossil fuels, nobody lived better than their parents or grandparents or ancestors from 500 years before, except in the immediate aftermath of a great plague like the Black Death, which allowed the lucky survivors to gobble up the resources liberated by mass graves. After we’ve burned all the fossil fuels, these scholars suggest, perhaps we will return to a “steady state” global economy. Of course, that onetime injection has a devastating long-term cost: climate change.


Tip of the hat to MTM's last blockchain post for making me zo.gif after reading this.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigJohnStudd, mj3528 and 2 guests