Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Economics, Global Markets and Finance

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 09 May 2017, 13:58

PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby chrisco » 15 May 2017, 08:55

This is how you mogul:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/201 ... -at-t.html

He sold ATT a VOIP company at the start of the century for $1.1 billion bucks. It was the hot new technology and ATT needed to get into the game. They got in too soon and paid too much. They ended up turning around and selling it back to him for pennies on the dollar. He took that money and plowed it into a bunch of investments, including the carcass of a particularly fantastic explosion called Winstar. One of the Winstar assets they bought was some shitty spectrum licenses that no one wanted until recently.

Verizon just paid him $3 billion bucks for it.

His main company is called IDT based out of NJ. Dealing with them is sort of like dealing with Danny Ainge. You are going to get fucked, but you don't know how, so its best to just steer clear of them as much as possible. Lot of crazy stories about that place, most dealing with his family and their tight knit crew of sycophants.

Hard to say how much is skill and how much is luck, but you need both to score like this.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby TVF wannabe » 15 May 2017, 11:37

Howard Jonas was a big name 10-15 years ago, I haven't heard much about him recently. I've heard from people that he's an interesting cat, his car and office are old and beat up and he does things his way but his way has worked with some ups and downs.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Briandong79 » 24 May 2017, 10:52

I had seen this other places but this is the first time I've seen it nationally. It completely blows my mind.

Iowa is a small state that happens to have a "$12 million man."

Actually, we don’t know if this patient is male or female, but we do know that Wellmark has a customer with a rare genetic disorder who requires care that costs $1 million dollars a month. That was the estimate from Wellmark in 2016.

That year, Wellmark hiked premiums by about 40 percent. A company executive told the Des Moines Register that a quarter of the increase was due solely to paying for that one person.

Why would one person make such a big difference?

Because Iowa’s insurance exchange is very small -- only about 72,000 individual plans. That’s a very narrow a base to spread out the outlays for one patient.

"Everyone is trying to avoid the $12 million man," said Duke University research associate David Anderson. "Because whoever catches him basically can’t make money."

Wellmark covers this patient now. When the company leaves the exchange, whatever companies remain run a chance of picking up this person’s coverage. Remember, no one can be denied for a pre-existing condition. If there’s just one insurer, the probability goes to 100 percent.

We asked individual market expert Barb Klever at the American Academy of Actuaries if one person could scare off insurers in Iowa.

"Oh yes," she said. "It is a very big risk, especially for a small insurance company."

1 person. 1! Is having that much of an impact on our insurance markets here. It's crazy.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby the cheese » 24 May 2017, 10:55

Briandong79 wrote:I had seen this other places but this is the first time I've seen it nationally. It completely blows my mind.

Iowa is a small state that happens to have a "$12 million man."

Actually, we don’t know if this patient is male or female, but we do know that Wellmark has a customer with a rare genetic disorder who requires care that costs $1 million dollars a month. That was the estimate from Wellmark in 2016.

That year, Wellmark hiked premiums by about 40 percent. A company executive told the Des Moines Register that a quarter of the increase was due solely to paying for that one person.

Why would one person make such a big difference?

Because Iowa’s insurance exchange is very small -- only about 72,000 individual plans. That’s a very narrow a base to spread out the outlays for one patient.

"Everyone is trying to avoid the $12 million man," said Duke University research associate David Anderson. "Because whoever catches him basically can’t make money."

Wellmark covers this patient now. When the company leaves the exchange, whatever companies remain run a chance of picking up this person’s coverage. Remember, no one can be denied for a pre-existing condition. If there’s just one insurer, the probability goes to 100 percent.

We asked individual market expert Barb Klever at the American Academy of Actuaries if one person could scare off insurers in Iowa.

"Oh yes," she said. "It is a very big risk, especially for a small insurance company."

1 person. 1! Is having that much of an impact on our insurance markets here. It's crazy.

Medicare for all.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Previous

Return to Misc.