I Fought the Law and The Law won

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby Briandong79 » 03 May 2017, 09:41

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby the cheese » 03 May 2017, 09:47

Briandong79 wrote:This is a really interesting read:
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... immigrants


Huh. Who would have thought that Kevin WIlliamson would show some tiny measure of compassion or empathy in a National Review article? Granted he's riding his personal hobbyhorse of "poor white people are scum worse than the blacks" but damn.

Good read Dong.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby Goose » 03 May 2017, 10:13

the cheese wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:This is a really interesting read:
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... immigrants


Huh. Who would have thought that Kevin WIlliamson would show some tiny measure of compassion or empathy in a National Review article? Granted he's riding his personal hobbyhorse of "poor white people are scum worse than the blacks" but damn.

Good read Dong.


That was a very depressing, but well written article. However, I know why cheese liked it so much. I think he's got this money quote etched on a smoked glass panel in his McMansion entryway:

Bad things just happen, and, today, I am the bad thing that is just happening to one of these luckless and unhappy children of God. I am eviction, I am CPS, I am the check that didn’t come. I am diabetic amputation. I am cancer.


He's like the Robert Oppenheimer of personal tragedy.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
User avatar
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: 03 May 2006, 10:09
Location: Temple Terrace Hooters, waiting on Shamgod

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby the cheese » 03 May 2017, 10:19

Goose wrote:
the cheese wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:This is a really interesting read:
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... immigrants


Huh. Who would have thought that Kevin WIlliamson would show some tiny measure of compassion or empathy in a National Review article? Granted he's riding his personal hobbyhorse of "poor white people are scum worse than the blacks" but damn.

Good read Dong.


That was a very depressing, but well written article. However, I know why cheese liked it so much. I think he's got this money quote etched on a smoked glass panel in his McMansion entryway:

Bad things just happen, and, today, I am the bad thing that is just happening to one of these luckless and unhappy children of God. I am eviction, I am CPS, I am the check that didn’t come. I am diabetic amputation. I am cancer.


He's like the Robert Oppenheimer of personal tragedy.


No, but I think that would look really good in my kitchen if you did it like either vanilla or eggshell distressed paint on some reclaimed wood. Not really, that's not our style. We are minimalists with the tchochkes. Don't like.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby Goose » 09 May 2017, 08:38

"Your honor, if I may, I would like to proceed with the Mr. Bacon defense..."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html

Image
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
User avatar
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: 03 May 2006, 10:09
Location: Temple Terrace Hooters, waiting on Shamgod

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby TheWolf » 09 May 2017, 08:40

Goose wrote:"Your honor, if I may, I would like to proceed with the Mr. Bacon defense..."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html

Image


The voice-over dude in the video that auto-plays on this page said something about a gag order. I laughed entirely too hard.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 18396
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby Briandong79 » 17 May 2017, 08:53

bosux - Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 am: X?i'd like your taek on the spring gun case. i have often thought of booby(!) trapping my home, and used to build elaborate traps as a kid (crushed my grandfathers foot with a brick)


Ok, I'm going to try to go off this from memory, and then I'll supplement:

For those who don't get the reference from Sux, there was a case here many years ago where an old farmer couple got sick of people stealing shit out of their barn, rigged up a shotgun. Some dude came by, broke in, opened the door, BAM, shot the dude in the leg. Think it was purposefully rigged to not shoot someone in the face, so that was probably good. Never got charged criminally but the burglar sued, won a decent amount of money, and the Iowa Supreme Court upheld it.

The real short answer is that legally speaking, it's not a very complicated case. Very few courts are going to say that it's ok to protect your lawn mower out in the shed with a shotgun, no matter how many times Bruce down the street tries to steal it. Protecting yourself in your own home is clearly a different standard. Castle doctrine wise, you're generally allowed to do whatever you need to do to protect yourself in your home. The problem is that something that fires indiscriminately is probably going to be per se reckless at the very least. My advice legally would be to just carry the gun yourself and you'll probably be perfectly fine from a legal point of view (see the Bryce Dejean-Jones vortex in the NBA section, for example). However, let's say Neighbor Gary got drunk again and opened up your door, and to further it, you forgot to lock it, and your spring gun takes his head off? You're probably in deep shit there.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby bosux » 17 May 2017, 11:21

Briandong79 wrote:
bosux - Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 am: X?i'd like your taek on the spring gun case. i have often thought of booby(!) trapping my home, and used to build elaborate traps as a kid (crushed my grandfathers foot with a brick)


Ok, I'm going to try to go off this from memory, and then I'll supplement:

For those who don't get the reference from Sux, there was a case here many years ago where an old farmer couple got sick of people stealing shit out of their barn, rigged up a shotgun. Some dude came by, broke in, opened the door, BAM, shot the dude in the leg. Think it was purposefully rigged to not shoot someone in the face, so that was probably good. Never got charged criminally but the burglar sued, won a decent amount of money, and the Iowa Supreme Court upheld it.

The real short answer is that legally speaking, it's not a very complicated case. Very few courts are going to say that it's ok to protect your lawn mower out in the shed with a shotgun, no matter how many times Bruce down the street tries to steal it. Protecting yourself in your own home is clearly a different standard. Castle doctrine wise, you're generally allowed to do whatever you need to do to protect yourself in your home. The problem is that something that fires indiscriminately is probably going to be per se reckless at the very least. My advice legally would be to just carry the gun yourself and you'll probably be perfectly fine from a legal point of view (see the Bryce Dejean-Jones vortex in the NBA section, for example). However, let's say Neighbor Gary got drunk again and opened up your door, and to further it, you forgot to lock it, and your spring gun takes his head off? You're probably in deep shit there.


i don't like this. i think you can reasonably assume that a property invader likely means harm.

can you recommend a non-lethal trap that might mitigate civil liability? what about a dog that mauls an intruder? (asking for a friend)
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 17416
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby Briandong79 » 17 May 2017, 11:47

bosux wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
bosux - Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 am: X?i'd like your taek on the spring gun case. i have often thought of booby(!) trapping my home, and used to build elaborate traps as a kid (crushed my grandfathers foot with a brick)


Ok, I'm going to try to go off this from memory, and then I'll supplement:

For those who don't get the reference from Sux, there was a case here many years ago where an old farmer couple got sick of people stealing shit out of their barn, rigged up a shotgun. Some dude came by, broke in, opened the door, BAM, shot the dude in the leg. Think it was purposefully rigged to not shoot someone in the face, so that was probably good. Never got charged criminally but the burglar sued, won a decent amount of money, and the Iowa Supreme Court upheld it.

The real short answer is that legally speaking, it's not a very complicated case. Very few courts are going to say that it's ok to protect your lawn mower out in the shed with a shotgun, no matter how many times Bruce down the street tries to steal it. Protecting yourself in your own home is clearly a different standard. Castle doctrine wise, you're generally allowed to do whatever you need to do to protect yourself in your home. The problem is that something that fires indiscriminately is probably going to be per se reckless at the very least. My advice legally would be to just carry the gun yourself and you'll probably be perfectly fine from a legal point of view (see the Bryce Dejean-Jones vortex in the NBA section, for example). However, let's say Neighbor Gary got drunk again and opened up your door, and to further it, you forgot to lock it, and your spring gun takes his head off? You're probably in deep shit there.


i don't like this. i think you can reasonably assume that a property invader likely means harm.

can you recommend a non-lethal trap that might mitigate civil liability? what about a dog that mauls an intruder? (asking for a friend)


Remember, the property in question in the Iowa case was an abandoned building (I said barn before, upon further research it appears to be an abandoned farmhouse). That makes a huge difference. A lawyer is going to probably look at your worse case scenario and see if there is a less risky option available. That's where the rigged shotgun versus firing your own shotgun comes in. Booby traps, in general, are frowned upon in today's society. Thanks, Obama.

Dog bite in the home, completely fine. Dog bite outside the home but confined? Grayer but still probably ok. Dog bites someone reaching over a fence? Probably bad for you. The law is all about shades of gre(a)y.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby Briandong79 » 17 May 2017, 14:04

This is a hell of a read:
http://features.texasmonthly.com/editor ... ign=buffer

After nearly three hours, the chief and mayor agreed that they needed to hold a press conference. Before he headed out to talk to the media, Brown told a SWAT commander to come up with a plan to end this. He remembers saying, “Use your creativity.”

He walked out to a row of cameras and, in a quick, concise manner, explained that eleven officers had been shot and that at least three were dead. He said they were negotiating with a gunman, but they thought there might be multiple shooters. He ended with a curt, “I have to get back real quick.”

Then he got back on the phone with SWAT team commander Bill Humphrey. Brown says he nixed the idea of charging down the hallway for a shoot-out or sending officers down with a shield; he didn’t want to lose any more cops that night. Humphrey had a third idea. They could send in a robot carrying an explosive and blow the shooter up.

No department in the country had ever done anything like this. Brown worried that Johnson might shoot the bomb while it was still close to the officers. Or that the robot would get stuck somewhere—an explosive new obstacle. Or that they’d accidentally blow up a load-bearing beam somewhere and take down the whole building. But this plan still seemed like the safest option for officers. He gave Humphrey the go-ahead.


Well, that does qualify as creativity.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby the cheese » 17 May 2017, 14:09

Briandong79 wrote:This is a hell of a read:
http://features.texasmonthly.com/editor ... ign=buffer

After nearly three hours, the chief and mayor agreed that they needed to hold a press conference. Before he headed out to talk to the media, Brown told a SWAT commander to come up with a plan to end this. He remembers saying, “Use your creativity.”

He walked out to a row of cameras and, in a quick, concise manner, explained that eleven officers had been shot and that at least three were dead. He said they were negotiating with a gunman, but they thought there might be multiple shooters. He ended with a curt, “I have to get back real quick.”

Then he got back on the phone with SWAT team commander Bill Humphrey. Brown says he nixed the idea of charging down the hallway for a shoot-out or sending officers down with a shield; he didn’t want to lose any more cops that night. Humphrey had a third idea. They could send in a robot carrying an explosive and blow the shooter up.

No department in the country had ever done anything like this. Brown worried that Johnson might shoot the bomb while it was still close to the officers. Or that the robot would get stuck somewhere—an explosive new obstacle. Or that they’d accidentally blow up a load-bearing beam somewhere and take down the whole building. But this plan still seemed like the safest option for officers. He gave Humphrey the go-ahead.


Well, that does qualify as creativity.


I was coming here to post that. Use the tools you're given. Sometimes a screw driver can be a knife, or a gun can be a can opener.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby chrisco » 17 May 2017, 17:01

Have not read yet, but Texas Monthly is a good source. Looking forward to it.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12214
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 May 2017, 13:00

I seen a meathead get pepper sprayed and beat down by a Missouri Gaming Control agent (aka State Trooper) around 3AM Sunday morning in the poker room. It was fun.

Guy was very wasted. His table just broke up and he got moved to my table. He lost an all-in to a friend of mine who is in his late 50's and mostly disabled (uses a walker to move short distances / scooter for long distances). He got up to get more chips, and the floor supervisor told the dealer not to deal him anymore hands. He got mad at the supervisor. Finally two security guards came up, but they were tiny female guards. They explained to him that he was intoxicated and had to leave for the night. He wasn't having any of it. After a few minutes the 90 lb woman tries to gently guide him by the elbow towards the exit. He slaps her hands away. Meanwhile we were joking around about something else at out table and roid rage thought we were laughing at him. He gets furious at my friend and looks like he is gonna charge him on a couple of different occasions. He also tells my friend that "he is what's wrong with America." whatever that was supposed to mean. Finally the floor supervisor steps in front of my friend so the guy can't charge him. A few more minutes elapse and the guy still hasn't complied with security. Finally the gaming control agent arrives. All alcohol needs to be off the casino floor by 3AM so they were tied up making sure that happened. This guy is 6'8" 280 pounds.

The trooper introduces himself as a gaming control agent / Mo Highway patrolman since he was wearing a suit. Shakes the guys hand, but drunk guy tried to push him or pull his hand away. The trooper then announces he is under arrest for trespassing and ties him up and gets one hand cuffed. Drunk guy gets free and whips out his phone to start recording all of this. Trooper tries to grab him again and announces he is also being charged with resisting arrest. Guy evades again and trooper maces him. Guy starts screaming "OMG bro! Did you just try to spray me?" Over and over. Finally the trooper and the two women tackle him and struggle with him on the ground for five minutes trying to cuff him. All the while he is yelling shit like "bro you're hurting me" "or bro quit spraying me".

They finally get him cuffed and the trooper says he is gonna let him up so they can get out of there. The guy yells "Yeah, get me out of here! Get me to the police!" Uh, buddy, you are with the police currently. LOL.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18368
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby Briandong79 » 31 May 2017, 11:35

Organized crime and sports bloggers, really into the nicknames:

Image
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: I Fought the Law and The Law won

Postby TheWolf » 31 May 2017, 11:37

Jimmy the Jew will no longer be invited to play 2K with Balls.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 18396
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest