The Rebs/Yanks Lack of Appreciation Thread

Other stuff in other stuff.

The Rebs/Yanks Lack of Appreciation Thread

Postby JichaelDick » 19 Mar 2007, 00:19

SPLIT FROM THE SHOUTBOX PRESERVATION THREAD. I'm adding the original SB quote so anyone new to the topic can get the context.
RF


Colonel Angus wrote:SOTSG holds a Sunday Discussion Forum on regional bias. Today's panel includes sportsdorkhater (please, call him sdh,) Colonel Angus (please, call him angug,) mister bacon, Moinllieon, God Shamgod, Tremendous_sidePotential, and someguysomewhere:

[Sun 16:15] sportsdorkhater: why is that so (the reg. pride thing)? I have noticed that too. didnt know if you had a theory behind it or its just one of those unexplainable things
[Sun 16:17] Colonel Angus: i think it goes back to the civil war.
[Sun 16:20] mister bacon: id be inclined to agree with you. "the south will rise again !!1!1!1!!!!11111 is very popular in alabama.
[Sun 16:21] Colonel Angus: it sounds silly but it's true. the south has felt under attack since the 1800's and it has extended into our sports viewing.
[Sun 16:23] Colonel Angus: some of us rationalize it in different ways. e.g., i root for sec teams because it helps tennessee's rpi and bcs ratings for our opponents to win.
[Sun 16:23] mister bacon: the south produces some phenomenal athletes
[Sun 16:25] Moinllieon: The percentage of population that is black is also higher in the south. Might have something to do with the production of athletes.
[Sun 16:25] sportsdorkhater: i dont think its something i will ever understand. people i know that have moved south talk about how much shit they hear about being a "yankee". it seems absurd to me
[Sun 16:27] Colonel Angus: we generally hate you yankee bastards.
[Sun 16:28] Moinllieon: It also have something to do with the yankees being "godless, immoral, and whiny liberals". That and they have all the money. Chip on the shoulder kind of thing.
[Sun 16:28] Colonel Angus: jichael and i have been sent by our confederate superiors to infiltrate this yankee-owned and yankee-run communication system.
[Sun 16:28] God Shamgod: there is a certain segment people that have moved down here, yet won't shut up about how great it is up north and how it sucks down here because it's not up north. you'd have to deal with these people to understand it, sdh.
[Sun 16:28] Moinllieon: Clever they are, these confederates.
[Sun 16:29] Colonel Angus: out of all thsoutherners, i think native floridians have the most right to hate the north.
[Sun 16:29] God Shamgod: i moved down here from up north too, but i am talking about a specific group of people from a specific place.
[Sun 16:30] Colonel Angus: going to fsu made me irrationally hate new york and new jersey, which wouldn't seem to make much sense unless you go to fsu. or live in south fla.
[Sun 16:30] God Shamgod: palm beach, broward, and dade could become its own country for all i care.
[Sun 16:31] Moinllieon: If you went to an ACC school not named Duke, you'll hate NY and NJ.
[Sun 16:31] Colonel Angus: where up north are you from, shamgod?
[Sun 16:31] God Shamgod: dood...miami is rutgers-coral gables. a bunch of stupid rich kids partying on south beach with daddies amex.
[Sun 16:32] God Shamgod: dad is from philly, mom is from chicago. i lived all over before settling down here.
[Sun 16:34] Colonel Angus: Moinllieon excepted Duke from that because if you went to an ACC school named Duke, you ARE from NY or NJ.
[Sun 16:34] sportsdorkhater: shamgod, the funny thing is, whenever i talk to someone that is from the south that is up here, all they do is bitch about how it is up here.
[Sun 16:35] Tremendous_sidePotential: my whole family is from brooklyn but my dad moved here for business, i swear i dont fit in florida
[Sun 16:35] Moinllieon: Yup yup, that's my point. Basically, if you want to know why Southerner hate Northerners? Look at Duke. That sums up everything very succinctly.
[Sun 16:35] God Shamgod: a lot of transplants in new hampshire?
[Sun 16:36] Colonel Angus: all this florida/matriculation talk brings up another point: southerners hate yankees because so many of them move down here. you don't hear a lot of stories about mississippians picking up and moving to Trenton.
[Sun 16:36] someguysomewhere: You know what's fun as a Canadian? Telling a woman from Georgia that, as far as you're concerned, she's a yank. that gets tehm everytime.
[Sun 16:36] Moinllieon: Why would anyone want to move to Trenton?
[Sun 16:37] sportsdorkhater: people that transfer for jobs, military, things like that


I'm in agreement...honestly, though, I've gotten to the point that I can kinda relate to you Yankee bastards. ;)

Seriously, though, there's a theory that since the South (in particular, the Southeast) is the one area of the country that can't use the "we've never lost a war" pride that a lot of Americans seem to have, there's an inferiorty complex that causes the chip on the shoulder and the "damn Yankees" sentiment.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 24717
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Dang ol' Arlen, Texas, man

Postby jack_daniels » 19 Mar 2007, 00:23

I thought that was a joke.

People actually think like that?

Even thought the Civil War was fought and the SOUTH LOST over 150 something years ago?

DOes that make sense to anyone?
User avatar
jack_daniels
Turban Legend
 
Posts: 14211
Joined: 20 Nov 2004, 23:13

Postby JichaelDick » 19 Mar 2007, 00:25

jack_daniels wrote:I thought that was a joke.

People actually think like that?

Even thought the Civil War was fought and the SOUTH LOST over 150 something years ago?

DOes that make sense to anyone?


I'm not saying it makes sense, _. I'm really not. But people aren't always rational (and, for the record, we lost the war 142 years ago April 9). And again, it's not necessarily a legitimate thought, it's just a theory on why Southerners have a lot of hostility toward Northerners. Another reason is the perceived arrogance of Northerners towards Southerners, which can happen (and vice versa).
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 24717
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Dang ol' Arlen, Texas, man

Postby Abe Froman » 19 Mar 2007, 07:16

I like that the South is currently the hotbed for blind patriotism, yet these same folks decorate their homes and vehicles with the Confederate flag which is a symbol of the most unpatriotic act of our nation's history.
User avatar
Abe Froman
Another dude worth meeting
 
Posts: 749
Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 20:49
Location: Shermer, IL

Postby Theny » 19 Mar 2007, 07:22

Abe Froman wrote:I like that the South is currently the hotbed for blind patriotism, yet these same folks decorate their homes and vehicles with the Confederate flag which is a symbol of the most unpatriotic act of our nation's history.


It's like rain on your wedding day Abe.

I'm glad I missed this conversation. Salient points by angug though.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 29790
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Postby Colonel Angus » 19 Mar 2007, 07:37

Theny wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:I like that the South is currently the hotbed for blind patriotism, yet these same folks decorate their homes and vehicles with the Confederate flag which is a symbol of the most unpatriotic act of our nation's history.


It's like rain on your wedding day Abe.

I'm glad I missed this conversation. Salient points by angug though.


We practice selective annihilation
Of mayors and government officials
For example to create a vacuum
Then we fill that vacuum
As popular war advances
Peace is closer
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby IhateTomBrady » 19 Mar 2007, 09:55

I'm a Chicago transplant to the South. It's not a confederate thing so much as a cultural thing IMO. The South by in large is religious and views the East and West Coasts as liberal, God-hating parts of the US. Part of the religiosity does go hand and hand with the Confederate flag stuff. The KKK was founded in Indiana. I'd venture to say racism is just as bad in say Ohio as it is in Bama.
User avatar
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3981
Joined: 20 Feb 2006, 16:05
Location: ready to be the 1%

Postby JichaelDick » 19 Mar 2007, 10:01

IhateTomBrady wrote:I'm a Chicago transplant to the South. It's not a confederate thing so much as a cultural thing IMO. The South by in large is religious and views the East and West Coasts as liberal, God-hating parts of the US. Part of the religiosity does go hand and hand with the Confederate flag stuff. The KKK was founded in Indiana. I'd venture to say racism is just as bad in say Ohio as it is in Bama.


Much as I'd like to say that's true, the fact is the KKK was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee. I do, however, believe that Indiana has (or had) the highest number of KKK members in America.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 24717
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Dang ol' Arlen, Texas, man

Postby DirtDawg » 19 Mar 2007, 10:03

JichaelDick wrote:
IhateTomBrady wrote:The KKK was founded in Indiana. I'd venture to say racism is just as bad in say Ohio as it is in Bama.


Much as I'd like to say that's true, the fact is the KKK was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee. I do, however, believe that Indiana has (or had) the highest number of KKK members in America.


Did you join the alabama chapter yet, JD?
Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
MTM - A saint that rapes is still saint.
User avatar
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 7664
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 14:13
Location: RIP. Just Win, Baby

Postby JichaelDick » 19 Mar 2007, 10:06

DirtDawg wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
IhateTomBrady wrote:The KKK was founded in Indiana. I'd venture to say racism is just as bad in say Ohio as it is in Bama.


Much as I'd like to say that's true, the fact is the KKK was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee. I do, however, believe that Indiana has (or had) the highest number of KKK members in America.


Did you join the alabama chapter yet, JD?


Can't say that I have, Dawg.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 24717
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Dang ol' Arlen, Texas, man

Postby bosux » 19 Mar 2007, 10:13

JICHAEL DICK SHALL RISE AGAIN...YEEEEEEE HAWWWWWW!!!!!1
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 16614
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Postby Colonel Angus » 19 Mar 2007, 10:13

JichaelDick wrote:
IhateTomBrady wrote:I'm a Chicago transplant to the South. It's not a confederate thing so much as a cultural thing IMO. The South by in large is religious and views the East and West Coasts as liberal, God-hating parts of the US. Part of the religiosity does go hand and hand with the Confederate flag stuff. The KKK was founded in Indiana. I'd venture to say racism is just as bad in say Ohio as it is in Bama.


Much as I'd like to say that's true, the fact is the KKK was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee. I do, however, believe that Indiana has (or had) the highest number of KKK members in America.


On behalf of the state of Tennessee, I hereby volunteer (get it?) to give the state of Indiana the rights to claiming ownership of the founding of the Klan. You're welcome.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby mister bacon » 19 Mar 2007, 10:29

JichaelDick wrote:
jack_daniels wrote:I thought that was a joke.

People actually think like that?

Even thought the Civil War was fought and the SOUTH LOST over 150 something years ago?

DOes that make sense to anyone?


I'm not saying it makes sense, _. I'm really not. But people aren't always rational (and, for the record, we lost the war 142 years ago April 9). And again, it's not necessarily a legitimate thought, it's just a theory on why Southerners have a lot of hostility toward Northerners. Another reason is the perceived arrogance of Northerners towards Southerners, which can happen (and vice versa).


i am so proud i was born on the date that the civil war was won.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 25262
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Postby Colonel Angus » 19 Mar 2007, 10:31

mister bacon wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
jack_daniels wrote:I thought that was a joke.

People actually think like that?

Even thought the Civil War was fought and the SOUTH LOST over 150 something years ago?

DOes that make sense to anyone?


I'm not saying it makes sense, _. I'm really not. But people aren't always rational (and, for the record, we lost the war 142 years ago April 9). And again, it's not necessarily a legitimate thought, it's just a theory on why Southerners have a lot of hostility toward Northerners. Another reason is the perceived arrogance of Northerners towards Southerners, which can happen (and vice versa).


i am so proud i was born on the date that the civil war was won.


Damn, you're old.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby Theny » 19 Mar 2007, 10:34

bosux191820042090 wrote:JICHAEL DICK SHALL RISE AGAIN...YEEEEEEE HAWWWWWW!!!!!1


Damn, you're such a Yankee. Isn't yee haw more of a wild west thing?
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 29790
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Next

Return to Misc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mister bacon and 2 guests