Crown my ass!

Other stuff in other stuff.

Crown my ass!

Postby Beer Goggles » 16 Mar 2005, 14:17

Inspired by Snake and Willy Loman, I thought that we should have thread dedicated to our ongoing accomplishments.

For those of you not familiar with "Death of a Salesman," there was a classic scene in the play that topped the Unintentional Comedy charts:

After his continual failure as a hopeless salesman, the overexcited Willy Loman eagerly storms into the office after he makes a minor sale and screams at the top of his lungs "Put me on the board!. Put me on the fuckin board!" (He was referring to a bulletin board that tracked and recognized accomplishments of the sales staff). The unintentional comedy was through the roof.

Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Postby Beer Goggles » 16 Mar 2005, 14:20

Since I don't have any recent accomplishments this one is for Snake..

Put him on the board! Put him on the fuckin board!

Congrats, again Snake. Hope it's going well.

P.S. I'm gonna drink a twelve pack tonight...and the twelfth one will be for you.

Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Postby TheWolf » 16 Mar 2005, 14:49

I didn't actually do anything, but the Executive VP of my office told our regional VP yesterday that they'd lose me some day because I'm gonna go somewhere else to be a CFO. Apparently I've convinced all the right people that I'm really good at what I do and I work hard (despite the 750+ posts here that are evidence to the contrary). So put me on the board! Put me on the fuckin board!
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JohnnyDamon » 16 Mar 2005, 14:58

2-time Alabama quiz bowl Player of the Year....Put me on the motherfucking board.

(Yes, along with Frank, I am one of the biggest geeks on SotSG, although I've never played Dungeons and Dragons).
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 16 Mar 2005, 15:16

Zero-time Connecticut Quiz Bowl player of the year, but I was captain of my team that made it to the state semis before we lost to the eventual champions (fuckin' Simsbury!).

Ummm, put me on the fuckin' board?
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JohnnyDamon » 16 Mar 2005, 15:18

Frank, if it makes you feel any better, I was the leading scorer of a team that got beat 3 straight years in the state finals. But you played quiz bowl? Suddenly I don't feel so alone.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 16 Mar 2005, 15:22

I was on our Quiz Bowl team for three years (we only went far my senior year though) and was on my collegiate Quiz Bowl team, but never cracked the starters there. I was actually on Jeopardy in 2002 and lost by $28,201 (not my day) finishing a distant third place. So I've been to the dance floor a lot, but every time I get on I wind up doing the Elaine Christmas party dance from Seinfeld.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JohnnyDamon » 16 Mar 2005, 15:24

Sorry, man...my team's problem was that we would go a long way, but we would find a way to make stupid mistakes we never made during the season that would cost us points, and the match. I actually consider myself the Dan Marino of Alabama high school quiz bowl.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Beer Goggles » 16 Mar 2005, 15:57

Wolf...GOD DAMN! Nice one. This begs the question: What do you do?

Tank and Damon, I would congratulate you two but I don't what THE HELL you two are talking about.

FUCK IT...

Put all you fuckers on the board. Put you ALL the motherfuckin board!

Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Postby TheWolf » 16 Mar 2005, 17:11

I've never heard of Quiz Bowl, but I was the captain of my middle school team in some city-wide trivia competition of the 8 middle schools. We finished second, and I got to be on Public Access TV and everything.

Goggles, I do internal accounting (balancing asset/liability accounts, journal entries, etc.) for a foodservice distribution company. I'm really in a great position right now, because I know more about computers than anyone in my department, so I find ways to automate 90% of my work, get it done in a fraction of the time they expect it to take, and have all this extra time to spend on SOTSG.

Basically my philosophy is as follows: If I can do something in an hour, but my boss expects it to take 4 hours, I'll spend the hour on it, screw around for 2 hours, then show that it's done in less time than they expected. I look smart for getting it done fast, and they have no idea that I've actually been wasting their time because it was done even faster than they think. If there's anyone out there who hasn't tried something like this, I strongly recommend it.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JohnnyDamon » 16 Mar 2005, 17:15

TheWolf, what you described is a sort of Quiz Bowl. It's basically a trivia competition between two teams of 4, although you can have as few as 2 on a team (and in a couple of tournaments, I have seen one-person teams). And what you are doing in your job is ingenious, hope you move up soon.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 16 Mar 2005, 17:24

I figured Quiz Bowl was was probably pretty similar to that. We also had a contest in 3rd and 4th grade called "Battle of the Books." There was a list of about 20 or so books that we were supposed to read within a certain time frame, and the same list was given to each of the 8-10 elementary schools. Most people didn't read all of them, but they took the people that read the most books and put them on a 3-4 person team for a quiz competition against the other schools. If I remember right, we finished second and first in the two years I was on the team.

And thanks for the compliment Johnny. I hope to move up too; unfortunately the people above me aren't going anywhere, so there's not much room for improvement without transferring to another branch. I can wait it out for a while; I'm kinda happy with the current situation.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JohnnyDamon » 16 Mar 2005, 17:48

No problem, TheWolf. I figure I'll be arguing with you on Saturday provided Alabama and BC win, but after that, I'm pretty much rooting for someone to beat Illinois in Chicago.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 16 Mar 2005, 18:42

Wow.....that is fuckin awesome Wolf. Congrats, you are moving up in the world. Just don't turn out to be some corporate scumbag like the WorldCom CEO who got convicted today on all counts of fraud and whatever else he was charged with. Stick to your roots, boy!

I'm pretty young compared to the rest of you guys, but I'm pretty proud of myself that I got accepted into York University's Schulich School of Business, very prestigous business school(fuckin expensive too). At this point last year, I didn't think I'd even be graduating, so I am very fuckin proud of myself and grateful.

So put me on that muthafuckin board muthafucka.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Frank the Tank » 16 Mar 2005, 19:22

jack_daniels wrote:I'm pretty young compared to the rest of you guys, but I'm pretty proud of myself that I got accepted into York University's Schulich School of Business, very prestigous business school(fuckin expensive too). At this point last year, I didn't think I'd even be graduating, so I am very fuckin proud of myself and grateful.

Awesome!!! Nice work! I'll crack a beer open in your honor tonight. Heck, I'll do it right now!!!
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to Misc.