Work blows

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Work blows

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Mar 2017, 09:38

Magnum wrote:A few people at work keep spelling my name (nickname) wrong, including one of my employees and a temp who works for me. The nickname I use can be spelled a couple different ways, but what annoys me about it is if I send an email and sign it Mag, they respond and say "Magg...." Anywho, I've started to just reply to people and say I spell my name this other way. Like seriously, read emails and respond with the correct spelling of someone's name. How hard is that?

I run into this occasionally, though I'm sure far less frequently. If you spell it wrong one time after just hearing it, fine. But if you've seen it in an email then your excuse just went away.

At my last job I was dealing with one person over email who thought for some reason my last name was my first. Those who know my real name will realize how idiotic this is, since I don't have one of those names like "Michaels" that sounds kind of like a first name. I corrected her once but it didn't do any good. Moron.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Goose » 14 Mar 2017, 09:41

Magnum wrote:A few people at work keep spelling my name (nickname) wrong, including one of my employees and a temp who works for me. The nickname I use can be spelled a couple different ways, but what annoys me about it is if I send an email and sign it Mag, they respond and say "Magg...." Anywho, I've started to just reply to people and say I spell my name this other way. Like seriously, read emails and respond with the correct spelling of someone's name. How hard is that?

A woman in our Jax office is named Chrystal, but she goes by Chrystie Chrysti Chrysty Chrystey Christey Christie Christy

I always have to find an old e-mail so I don't get it wrong.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JT99 » 14 Mar 2017, 09:42

Well over 30% of the time, people get my IRL first name wrong.

Well over 30% of the time, people try to add a "t" into my last name even though my IRL last name is among the three most common in the United States.

People are dumb.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Goose » 14 Mar 2017, 09:46

JT99 wrote:Well over 30% of the time, people get my IRL first name wrong.

Well over 30% of the time, people try to add a "t" into my last name even though my IRL last name is among the three most common in the United States.

People are dumb.

Well look at Jo(h)n Johnston over here on his high horse.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby babylurch » 14 Mar 2017, 10:00

People are dumb.

I just looked it up. My last name is not among the 1000 most common in the US. Its prejudice, I say.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby the cheese » 14 Mar 2017, 10:37

Frank the Tank wrote:

I run into this occasionally, though I'm sure far less frequently. If you spell it wrong one time after just hearing it, fine. But if you've seen it in an email then your excuse just went away.

At my last job I was dealing with one person over email who thought for some reason my last name was my first. Those who know my real name will realize how idiotic this is, since I don't have one of those names like "Michaels" that sounds kind of like a first name. I corrected her once but it didn't do any good. Moron.

My last name is a fairly common but spelled in a Germanic/Nordic way and not an English way, so it gets spelled wrong constantly. The only people in the US with this spelling of my name are related to me by birth or marriage. It's not a big deal, but I have got so used to it that anytime I tell someone my last name it's a reflex to spell it out.

Frank the Tank wrote:At my last job I was dealing with one person over email who thought for some reason my last name was my first. Those who know my real name will realize how idiotic this is, since I don't have one of those names like "Michaels" that sounds kind of like a first name. I corrected her once but it didn't do any good. Moron.

This is going to be a problem going forward. There are at least ten kids that I know of in either my kids' school or my list of acquaintances who are named their mother's maiden name. Best one so far is a little boy named Braver.
Last edited by the cheese on 14 Mar 2017, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 14 Mar 2017, 10:40

babylurch wrote:

People are dumb.

I just looked it up. My last name is not among the 1000 most common in the US. Its prejudice, I say.

95% of people get my last name wrong even though it is common, people are lazy readers and cut it short. Every substitute teacher in school said it wrong... morans
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby babylurch » 14 Mar 2017, 10:41

the cheese wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

My last name is a fairly common but spelled in a Germanic/Nordic way and not an English way, so it gets spelled wrong constantly. The only people in the US with this spelling of my name are related to me by birth or marriage. It's not a big deal, but I have got so used to it that anytime I tell someone my last name it's a reflex to spell it out.

Drumpf?
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 14 Mar 2017, 10:43

There are dozens of us with my last name. So, people always get it wrong.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 14 Mar 2017, 10:47

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
babylurch wrote:

People are dumb.

95% of people get my last name wrong even though it is common, people are lazy readers and cut it short. Every substitute teacher in school said it wrong... morans

Samesies. 95% of people fuck up pronouncing, spelling my last name. Add an -s or -ich, etc. Fucking weird, people are dumb.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby chrisco » 14 Mar 2017, 11:27

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:There are dozens of us with my last name. So, people always get it wrong.

Is it Sharp or Shar Pey?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby BigJohnStudd » 14 Mar 2017, 11:45

chrisco wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:There are dozens of us with my last name. So, people always get it wrong.

Is it Sharp or Shar Pey?

Arshewipé.

In other news, both my names are misspelled all the time, with the -s on the last name the mosr common by far. The wipe gets this too, with mispronunciations of the first name being a running joke.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby rickm3 » 14 Mar 2017, 17:21

I am not really a regular poster around here so not trying to cause problems...really. There seems to be an odd sense of people protecting minor details about their identities to the extreme around here. ^^^^ is a perfect example..why not just say "I spell my nickname Nicki (or whatever...I honestly don't know what it is...really) but people always want to use Nicky and it pisses me off"? It really doesn't give anything away or out you.

I don't personally know anyone here but I had one interaction with someone where I had to send him something, so I needed his real name and address. He rightfully asked me not to use his real name here, which of course I agreed to. That, I get. Not wanting to post your nickname, not so much.

Plus aren't there only like 20 people that post here...and 12 of you know each other anyway?

My nickname is Rick and I hate when people spell it Ric or call me Richard.
rickm3
Grantland Editor

Postby ctz31 » 14 Mar 2017, 17:25

rickm3 wrote:

I am not really a regular poster around here so not trying to cause problems...really. There seems to be an odd sense of people protecting minor details about their identities to the extreme around here. ^^^^ is a perfect example..why not just say "I spell my nickname Nicki (or whatever...I honestly don't know what it is...really) but people always want to use Nicky and it pisses me off"? It really doesn't give anything away or out you.

I don't personally know anyone here but I had one interaction with someone where I had to send him something, so I needed his real name and address. He rightfully asked me not to use his real name here, which of course I agreed to. That, I get. Not wanting to post your nickname, not so much.

Plus aren't there only like 20 people that post here...and 12 of you know each other anyway?

Lol you idiot. Greg is gonna call you at work tonight. Congrats.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby mj3528 » 14 Mar 2017, 17:39

ctz31 wrote:
rickm3 wrote:

Lol you idiot. Greg is gonna call you at work tonight. Congrats.

Only way to avoid that is to give kite nerf's real name. they have had an issue in the past. good luck.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.