"You're Only As Good As Your Dumbest Kid" - Parenting

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: "You're Only As Good As Your Dumbest Kid" - Parenting

Postby Dunking Donut » 14 Feb 2018, 09:49

JichaelDick wrote:
If you know, can you tell me about the differences and thoughts on the 3 main Alabama campusus (Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Hunstville) and maybe Ole Miss. Looking at potential college options for Munchkin that offer full tuition/full ride based on SAT/GPA score

Depends on what she wants to do. If she wants to go into a medical field, I would recommend UAB. That is their bread and butter, it's what they're known for.

Huntsville is, unsurprisingly, the engineering school. One of my best friends got a computer engineering degree from there, parlayed it into a job with Adtran, and pulls in 6 figures right now.

Alabama and Ole Miss are your liberal arts colleges. If she wants to go into business or law, I'd recommend either one of those.

Things may have changed since I was there, but Ole Miss did have a pretty good pharmacy school as I recall, so if she considered that, I'd recommend it (or Auburn, to be honest). If she wants to go into something like meteorology or veterinary school, I might also look at Mississippi State.

Thanks. Right now she is probably interested in BioChem.

Main concern for me is fit and price. Mom is concerned more with reputation and safety. One of her friends looked at Alabama and Tennessee (similar deal - big merit aid for out of state) and said they were pretty hood so it's a no go. Alabama is doing a big recruiting event here for academics (surprisingly) and so I got her to agree to go to that. if it goes well maybe we can look at the campus. I heard Huntsville was pretty decent (but boring) and more mid-sized and that Oxford was actually pretty nice, moreso than people expected.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby JichaelDick » 14 Feb 2018, 09:55

The area around UAB is actually not too bad, it's become somewhat hipsterized for lack of a better term. That said, you get a few blocks off of campus and...yeah.

Oxford is a REALLY nice town, small but the very definition of college town. Huntsville being described as decent but boring is pretty much right on.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Feb 2018, 10:00

does your kid have a feel for what sized campus she wants to be on? that's a big factor in finding the right fit. if midsized feels right, going to gigantic state u could be a bad idea.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby JichaelDick » 14 Feb 2018, 10:14

Ole Miss and UAH aren't terribly large campuses. UAB isn't, but it's literally in downtown Birmingham. Alabama-Tuscaloosa is freakin' massive.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mj3528 » 14 Feb 2018, 10:15

JichaelDick wrote:Ole Miss and UAH aren't terribly large campuses. UAB isn't, but it's literally in downtown Birmingham. Alabama-Tuscaloosa is freakin' massive.

If Mrs. Dunk is concerned about safety, I am not sure if she will sign off on a campus in downtown Birmingham. It shouldn't be a big deal, but it appears it is to her.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby JichaelDick » 14 Feb 2018, 10:19

mj3528 wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:Ole Miss and UAH aren't terribly large campuses. UAB isn't, but it's literally in downtown Birmingham. Alabama-Tuscaloosa is freakin' massive.

If Mrs. Dunk is concerned about safety, I am not sure if she will sign off on a campus in downtown Birmingham. It shouldn't be a big deal, but it appears it is to her.

I've made cracks about it, but that particular area of downtown Birmingham is really pretty nice. I'll be there Friday. That said, you're not terribly far from the riff raff, and I can somewhat understand Mrs. Dunk's possible objections.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Feb 2018, 11:11

Iowa State offers full rides based on SAT scores and has a great biochem program. Just saying.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Dunking Donut » 14 Feb 2018, 12:59

Munchkin would be happy at a mid-size. She's kind of interested in some of the northeastern schools but we did the calculator and it was unlikely that we would get any aid and the merit is low in those areas. I told her Chapel Hill or less is all I would sign up for. Kind of have to weight the options between price and where it will work.

Brian, I do not believe Iowa State offers full tuition for out of state students based on the Alabama/Ole Miss "matrix" of GPA/Test Scores.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Feb 2018, 15:26

If your school's counselors are on the ball, they should be able to tell you which schools are writing big checks for merit scholarships these days to lure accepted applicants to come. For a while it was Tulane, now University of Vermont is doing it, or at least did last year. My daughter had decent grades and test scores, and got a big scholarship without applying for it that essentially gives her in-state tuition. Another family we know got offered a scholarship there as well, not quite as much, but he decided to go to Northeastern instead.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TVF wannabe » 16 Feb 2018, 10:37

Good luck with these decisions. I just went it through it on a minor scale with my son's HS decision and we were only looking at local schools, it wasn't fun but I hope we made the right choice.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby BigJohnStudd » 16 Feb 2018, 15:59

Did I see pharmacy school as a possibility? Warning, it's not the cash cow it was 10 years ago. It's still probably the best return on investment for a six year degree anywhere, IF you can get a job. (Six figures to start pretty much anywhere). But the market on the coasts has been saturated for years, and even here in the middle of the middle west the jobs have become much harder to come by. Consider getting a D.O. instead, if they don't want to go the full med school route (spoiler: they don't).
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby mister bacon » 17 Feb 2018, 10:59

Dunking Donut wrote:Munchkin would be happy at a mid-size. She's kind of interested in some of the northeastern schools but we did the calculator and it was unlikely that we would get any aid and the merit is low in those areas. I told her Chapel Hill or less is all I would sign up for. Kind of have to weight the options between price and where it will work.

Brian, I do not believe Iowa State offers full tuition for out of state students based on the Alabama/Ole Miss "matrix" of GPA/Test Scores.

send her to Spelman du
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Briandong79 » Yesterday, 13:23

So I secretly built my kids a huge castle on Minecraft after they went to bed, just would work on it whilst drinking after the wife went to bed, and apparently that was the trigger that made my son realize I stay up later than him. So now he just asks me to do him favors after he goes to bed, this morning he was asking if I could go around one of his LEGO games and unlock every character for him.

#coolstory but I was amused.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby CourtesyFlush » Yesterday, 13:32

Briandong79 wrote:So I secretly built my kids a huge castle on Minecraft after they went to bed, just would work on it whilst drinking after the wife went to bed, and apparently that was the trigger that made my son realize I stay up later than him. So now he just asks me to do him favors after he goes to bed, this morning he was asking if I could go around one of his LEGO games and unlock every character for him.

Your kid is becoming self aware
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » Yesterday, 13:34

CourtesyFlush wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:So I secretly built my kids a huge castle on Minecraft after they went to bed, just would work on it whilst drinking after the wife went to bed, and apparently that was the trigger that made my son realize I stay up later than him. So now he just asks me to do him favors after he goes to bed, this morning he was asking if I could go around one of his LEGO games and unlock every character for him.

Your kid is becoming self aware

Dthefritz
tl;dr

Previous

Return to Misc.