"You're Only As Good As Your Dumbest Kid" - Parenting

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: "You're Only As Good As Your Dumbest Kid" - Parenting

Postby rickm3 » 17 Dec 2017, 21:04

TheWolf wrote:She didn't say she had a 2 year old because she doesn't.

I have no explanation for it, but I think it's fairly common among parents, especially when talking to other parents, to use months until 2 years. And definitely until 1 year. I don't think it's just a woman thing.

In context of the conversation I overheard, yes she does have a 2 yo. How is their discussion any different/better if she says 20 months vs. 2 years old? It isn't, not at all. Not one bit. It's not like she is claiming that she is a Green Beret and shouldn't be because she really isn't. Saying your kid is 2 when he is only 1.7 is not a great crime. Look, I don't really give a shit just pointing out the fact that I think it is fucking stupid. If parents feel better about themselves by saying that little Johnny is 17 months old vs a year and a half....knock yourselves out guys.

For the record i am only 5' 11'' 1/2 but...gasp...sometimes when someone asks me how tall I am, I will say 6 feet.
rickm3
Hope College Alum

Postby nerf66 » 17 Dec 2017, 21:10

rickm3 wrote:

I have no explanation for it, but I think it's fairly common among parents, especially when talking to other parents, to use months until 2 years. And definitely until 1 year. I don't think it's just a woman thing.

In context of the conversation I overheard, yes she does have a 2 yo. How is their discussion any different/better if she says 20 months vs. 2 years old? It isn't, not at all. Not one bit. It's not like she is claiming that she is a Green Beret and shouldn't be because she really isn't. Saying your kid is 2 when he is only 1.7 is not a great crime. Look, I don't really give a shit just pointing out the fact that I think it is fucking stupid. If parents feel better about themselves by saying that little Johnny is 17 months old vs a year and a half....knock yourselves out guys.

For the record i am only 5' 11'' 1/2 but...gasp...sometimes when someone asks me how tall I am, I will say 6 feet.

I understand the rage.

There are all sorts of shots and doctors visits that are arranged by month. Also clothes come in months. As a parent, you have to know months pretty regularly. You just kind of get used to months.

It is stupid. But it's not like there isn't a pretty clear and easily understandable reason.

It's like car financing. They don't use years. 72 months? Why not say 6 years?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby SouthernYokel » 17 Dec 2017, 21:26

nerf66 wrote:
rickm3 wrote:

I understand the rage.

There are all sorts of shots and doctors visits that are arranged by month. Also clothes come in months. As a parent, you have to know months pretty regularly. You just kind of get used to months.

It is stupid. But it's not like there isn't a pretty clear and easily understandable reason.

Because 72 months doesn't make you instantly think "am I gonna still be paying this car off after it falls apart"
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby rickm3 » 18 Dec 2017, 19:27

nerf66 wrote:I understand the rage.

Thanks Nerf, you explained it in a way that makes some sense...I still think it is kind of stupid but makes some sense.

As far as your question on the car financing. I am guessing. But people are stupid and not good at math (well I am not guessing about that part), so some focus groups have figured that 6 years sounds longer than 72 months and most of dumbass America doesn't know the difference.

I am typing this from a 17 month old computer \:D/
rickm3
Hope College Alum

Postby Dthefritz » 18 Dec 2017, 19:31

rickm3 wrote:
nerf66 wrote:I understand the rage.

Thanks Nerf, you explained it in a way that makes some sense...I still think it is kind of stupid but makes some sense.

As far as your question on the car financing. I am guessing. But people are stupid and not good at math (well I am not guessing about that part), so some focus groups have figured that 6 years sounds longer than 72 months and most of dumbass America doesn't know the difference.

I am typing this from a 17 month old computer \:D/

This is troo.

On a related note, America's most popular sports columnist does shit like this to try and sound smart. For example if a big guy isn't rebounding enough for his liking he'll say "Why can't he get more than 2 rebounds per quarter" instead of 8 rebounds per game, as if that somehow means something.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Gregs Kite » 18 Dec 2017, 19:35

As a loyal, diehard Simmons reader, this HAS to chap your bum!
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby BigJohnStudd » 18 Dec 2017, 23:34

72 months is 72 monthly payments. Makes perfect sense.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby TheWolf » 19 Dec 2017, 07:35

BigJohnStudd wrote:72 months is 72 monthly payments. Makes perfect sense.

Yeah, this one isn't rocket science. They use months because you equate it to how many payments you'll make.

My 360 month mortgage, however, seems to disprove what I thought was a pretty obvious theory.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby nerf66 » 19 Dec 2017, 13:59

The question was rhetorical, fellas. Good game.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby TheWolf » 19 Dec 2017, 22:58

nerf66 wrote:The question was rhetorical, fellas. Good game.

Yet here we are. #SOTSG
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Briandong79 » 20 Dec 2017, 08:57

The puke train did not leave the station, and apparently circled back for round 2. Caught the oldest kid (who hadn't yet been sick) pretty hard last night. He had been complaining about having a stomach ache all night but was otherwise acting pretty well, but we had a puke bucket nearby in case. When I was reading to him and his brother, he was kind of whining and wiggling around in bed and so I eventually said "If your stomach hurts that badly, then just throw up." He just calmly reaches over for the bucket and pukes his brains out into it. Didn't spill a drop. Good job by him. Think he puked about 5 times during the night so I'm feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby TheWolf » 21 Dec 2017, 15:13

There was this little asshole in Pup 2's daycare "class" that was just an awful kid. Lotta hitting and biting and such, and just generally shitty behavior. My understanding is that the mom was told he's not welcome there anymore, and I haven't seen him in over a month. But the mom still comes there every day to drop off her other kid. If you're forced to bring one kid somewhere else because he sucks so much, why not just put them both in a new place? Seems like it would be awkward af to keep going there after one kid got booted.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby SouthernYokel » 21 Dec 2017, 15:17

TheWolf wrote:There was this little asshole in Pup 2's daycare "class" that was just an awful kid. Lotta hitting and biting and such, and just generally shitty behavior. My understanding is that the mom was told he's not welcome there anymore, and I haven't seen him in over a month. But the mom still comes there every day to drop off her other kid. If you're forced to bring one kid somewhere else because he sucks so much, why not just put them both in a new place? Seems like it would be awkward af to keep going there after one kid got booted.

my brother was kicked out of 3 daycares. some kids are tough to get in line, don't want to fuck with one kid's social development because the other is wild.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TheWolf » 21 Dec 2017, 15:31

SouthernYokel wrote:
TheWolf wrote:There was this little asshole in Pup 2's daycare "class" that was just an awful kid. Lotta hitting and biting and such, and just generally shitty behavior. My understanding is that the mom was told he's not welcome there anymore, and I haven't seen him in over a month. But the mom still comes there every day to drop off her other kid. If you're forced to bring one kid somewhere else because he sucks so much, why not just put them both in a new place? Seems like it would be awkward af to keep going there after one kid got booted.

my brother was kicked out of 3 daycares. some kids are tough to get in line, don't want to fuck with one kid's social development because the other is wild.

Fair. It seemed odd to me, but I suppose that's a logical explanation. TY. Is your brother still an asshole?
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby SouthernYokel » 21 Dec 2017, 15:40

TheWolf wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

Fair. It seemed odd to me, but I suppose that's a logical explanation. TY. Is your brother still an asshole?

no, he turned out way better than me. weird, huh?
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.