"You're Only As Good As Your Dumbest Kid" - Parenting

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: "You're Only As Good As Your Dumbest Kid" - Parenting

Postby Theny » 03 Feb 2017, 08:02

If my kid did a three signal I think I'd laugh my ass off.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Rodney Farva » 03 Feb 2017, 08:22

lost afternoon game by 21 to the only team that is still undefeated. repeat of yesterday afternoon: played well at first, stayed with them for a half, then second half got the doors blown off. 10 points for our boy, not sure how many assists but he and the point guard were playing off each other quite well and i would guess he had five or six dimes. other team started making ridiculous shots from deep after the half, we had too many turnovers, zoooop that's all she wrote. worryingly the big beast (who was blocking shots like a fiend) hurt his knee and near the end the PG, who had his best game, hurt his ankle near the end. if those two can't go they have no chance in their two games tomorrow, which should be tough in any event. last round robin game in the morning, after which they should be in the 3rd/4th place game. likely to end 4th, if those two guys can go and they start playing a little better then the bronze is a possibility.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 03 Feb 2017, 08:24

Farv, I forget if this has been asked/answered before... Who do they play against in these tournaments? Are these all like ex-pat/embassy type of schools for American kids in different countries? Or are you playing locals, or what?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby nerf66 » 03 Feb 2017, 08:28

Rodney Farva wrote:lost afternoon game by 21 to the only team that is still undefeated. repeat of yesterday afternoon: played well at first, stayed with them for a half, then second half got the doors blown off. 10 points for our boy, not sure how many assists but he and the point guard were playing off each other quite well and i would guess he had five or six dimes. other team started making ridiculous shots from deep after the half, we had too many turnovers, zoooop that's all she wrote. worryingly the big beast (who was blocking shots like a fiend) hurt his knee and near the end the PG, who had his best game, hurt his ankle near the end. if those two can't go they have no chance in their two games tomorrow, which should be tough in any event. last round robin game in the morning, after which they should be in the 3rd/4th place game. likely to end 4th, if those two guys can go and they start playing a little better then the bronze is a possibility.

Bronze? Take your son to the Persian Gulf and demand he throw that worthless third place medal in to the sea then mock him doing the old smoking gun deal and repeatedly shouting "Three!! Three!" while holding up three fingers.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby Rodney Farva » 03 Feb 2017, 08:34

TheWolf wrote:Farv, I forget if this has been asked/answered before... Who do they play against in these tournaments? Are these all like ex-pat/embassy type of schools for American kids in different countries? Or are you playing locals, or what?

for all our sports, the season itself really is just the league tournament at the end of the season. we are in a six-team league. each school has 'american' in its name, but the reality is they each have 30% or so american kids and the rest are a mix of locals and other nationalities. the other five schools are all in the middle east, two schools in Dubai (UAE), one in Abu Dhabi (UAE), one in Doha (Qatar) and one in Muscat (Oman).
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 03 Feb 2017, 08:39

Rodney Farva wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Farv, I forget if this has been asked/answered before... Who do they play against in these tournaments? Are these all like ex-pat/embassy type of schools for American kids in different countries? Or are you playing locals, or what?

for all our sports, the season itself really is just the league tournament at the end of the season. we are in a six-team league. each school has 'american' in its name, but the reality is they each have 30% or so american kids and the rest are a mix of locals and other nationalities. the other five schools are all in the middle east, two schools in Dubai (UAE), one in Abu Dhabi (UAE), one in Doha (Qatar) and one in Muscat (Oman).

Cool. So is that tourney literally the whole season? What are they doing before this? Do they just have a bunch of practices and intra-squad scrimmages for a few months? Are there local teams you can play against to get ready for the games against those other 5 schools?
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 03 Feb 2017, 08:43

TheWolf wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

Cool. So is that tourney literally the whole season? What are they doing before this? Do they just have a bunch of practices and intra-squad scrimmages for a few months? Are there local teams you can play against to get ready for the games against those other 5 schools?

yup. it's practices, and usually a weekly game or two against a local school or club.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby the cheese » 03 Feb 2017, 09:16

My kids are in theory a little old for this, but we bought them a couple sets of these Magnatiles things for Christmas. More for me to play with than for them, but w.e.

They are the fucking best. I spent like half an hour just building shit out of them last night. So soothing. Just random squares and rectangles and pyramids and triangles and shit. Again, technically these are too young for my idiots, but damn have they liked them. And by them I mean me.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby TheWolf » 03 Feb 2017, 09:18

We have a couple sets of those too. I agree, they're pretty damn fun for both kids and adults. My kids rarely remember that they have any non-Lego toys these days, but the magnatiles are always a hit when I convince them to break out something different.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby the cheese » 03 Feb 2017, 09:22

TheWolf wrote:We have a couple sets of those too. I agree, they're pretty damn fun for both kids and adults. My kids rarely remember that they have any non-Lego toys these days, but the magnatiles are always a hit when I convince them to break out something different.

They need to make a 2x1 rectangle to help bridge the gaps better.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby TheWolf » 03 Feb 2017, 09:38

the cheese wrote:
TheWolf wrote:We have a couple sets of those too. I agree, they're pretty damn fun for both kids and adults. My kids rarely remember that they have any non-Lego toys these days, but the magnatiles are always a hit when I convince them to break out something different.

They need to make a 2x1 rectangle to help bridge the gaps better.

Nodding pensively.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Magnum » 03 Feb 2017, 11:34

What are the ages for these things? Assuming older than 2?
Gregs Kite - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Why am I making a Bitches post again?
BigJohnStudd - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Because you're a bitch.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby TheWolf » 03 Feb 2017, 11:36

Magnum wrote:What are the ages for these things? Assuming older than 2?

They are labeled as being for 3 and up. Pup 2 (he's almost 2 and a half) does just fine with them though.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mister bacon » 03 Feb 2017, 12:29

TheWolf wrote:

They are labeled as being for 3 and up. Pup 2 (he's almost 2 and a half) does just fine with them though.

my son loves these. when he goes on 'playdates' he always takes them with him and his friends love them too. cheap and fun toys ftw.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby the cheese » 03 Feb 2017, 13:57

mister bacon wrote:
TheWolf wrote:

my son loves these. when he goes on 'playdates' he always takes them with him and his friends love them too. cheap and fun toys ftw.

They ain't cheap homey. The 100 piece set is $119 on Amazon. Prime eligible. We have two sets. It's a blast.

By we I mean me. I have two sets.
the cheese
The Douche

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.