"You're Only As Good As Your Dumbest Kid" - Parenting

Other stuff in other stuff.

"You're Only As Good As Your Dumbest Kid" - Parenting

Postby nova » 29 Aug 2006, 13:09

Instead of clogging random thoughts with inane parenting stories/rants/questions, why not start a thread? It can't be any worse than the Awesome Beards thread or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's Jacket thread, right? Am I right?

Anyway, has anybody ever gotten their kid to eat different foods? Little Nova is two, and her diet consists of Frosted Flakes, Cheez Its, chicken nuggets, fruit snacks, Sprite, milk and apple slices. Normally, I wouldn't give a fuck, but it's getting aggravating when she has a baggie of cereal for dinner. Any tips?
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby SouthernYokel » 29 Aug 2006, 13:14

Uh, nothing could top Kareem's Jacket.

JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Re: The SOTSG Parenting Thread

Postby WhiteSox » 29 Aug 2006, 13:24

nasty nova wrote:
Anyway, has anybody ever gotten their kid to eat different foods? Little Nova is two, and her diet consists of Frosted Flakes, Cheez Its, chicken nuggets, fruit snacks, Sprite, milk and apple slices. Normally, I wouldn't give a fuck, but it's getting aggravating when she has a baggie of cereal for dinner. Any tips?

It's been a real challenge to get my picky eater to change, too, but we're making progress. Little Sox is 2 1/2, and he's come a long way in recent months. If I put something in front of him that he hates, he gets upset and says he won't eat. What I do now is ask him if he'll try just one bite for me, and if he doesn't like it he can have something else. I tell him I'll take a bite at the same time, too. When he's taken his one bite, I've asked him if it was good, and normally he's said yes and gone ahead and eaten whatever it was I'd given him. Now he's used to it and does very well with new foods. He of course has his stock favorites (nuggets, etc), but he's much much better at trying new things and not freaking out about it.
WhiteSox
Bruce Dickinson

Postby SouthernYokel » 29 Aug 2006, 13:31

Dude, parenting advice from Stuart Smalley is hilarious.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby WhiteSox » 29 Aug 2006, 13:36

SouthernYokel wrote:Dude, parenting advice from Stuart Smalley is hilarious.

Come on, Yorkel, get with it--it's the new me!
WhiteSox
Bruce Dickinson

Postby bosux » 29 Aug 2006, 14:54

i dont have kids so this may be way out of whack, but how about letting little jeffrey go hungry for a bit? once they've had a taste of mild starvation, kids usually seem to get over being picky...i know i did
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby MoreCowbell » 29 Aug 2006, 14:57

bosux191820042090 wrote:i dont have kids so this may be way out of whack, but how about letting little jeffrey go hungry for a bit? once they've had a taste of mild starvation, kids usually seem to get over being picky...i know i did

Yeah, christ, in my day it was "Eat what I cooked for dinner or go to bed hungry! And no snack later!!!"
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 29 Aug 2006, 15:06

MoreCowbell wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:i dont have kids so this may be way out of whack, but how about letting little jeffrey go hungry for a bit? once they've had a taste of mild starvation, kids usually seem to get over being picky...i know i did

Yeah, christ, in my day it was "Eat what I cooked for dinner or go to bed hungry! And no snack later!!!"

Lil' Fernandez eats everything in front of her, but my sister's kid is the pickiest damn eater I have ever seen. Theyactually do something kinda similar to what Tiff and Sux were saying.

When their kid doesn't want to eat, they say "Ok, then you are done" and off he goes. They put his dinner in the fridge and when he says he is hungry and wants a snack, they get his dinner right back out. After a few of these nights he got the point that he wasn't getting out of dinner, so now dinner is much easier for them.

Here's another question--how much time does your kid spend watching tv/movies? We usually let her watch one of her shows (Dora, Mickey Mouse, Blues Clues, etc) before bed. My wife thinks this is too much, but it is only about 20 minutes worth of tv time. How much is too much?
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby nova » 29 Aug 2006, 15:36

Freddy Fernandez wrote:Here's another question--how much time does your kid spend watching tv/movies? We usually let her watch one of her shows (Dora, Mickey Mouse, Blues Clues, etc) before bed. My wife thinks this is too much, but it is only about 20 minutes worth of tv time. How much is too much?

My kid watches way more than that watching TV per day, and I think it has positively affected her. Despite the obvious problem of being hooked on characters (Dora, Mickey Mouse, god damned Doodlebops), she really picks up a lot little things that make communication easier.

I am firmly in the pro-TV camp as long as it;s educational. TV is a problem when they start introducing violence and elements of drama. Dora the Explorer is A-OK in my book.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Dunking Donut » 29 Aug 2006, 15:53

In general, my kid has to eat some of everything on her plate. There's just some stuff she hates but most of the time it's just her way of getting junk food because she likes it. Surprisingly, she likes water instead of soda and fruit instead of french fries and all that. Half the work is already done. :) Really, it just comes down to being a bit forceful, coaxing, and getting them a little hungry. My niece is terrible about that. She eats cheese and cookies and little else. She doesn't have a dad around so her mom just gives in. Longer term that gonna be awful for her.

My kid watches a lot of TV. She just seems to like it...She's actually pretty creative and the likes to read, make up stories, etc.. I don't view TV as a bad thing. I think they can learn things and help improve skills in certain areas. I also don't believe that there is really a link between violence and TV. Just to expand that a bit, I think it's important that kids have a social and physical outlet so that they have those skills but TV in and of itself isn't necessarily bad.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dick Hertz » 29 Aug 2006, 17:48

Pasta is our 'go to' food. If he won't eat the chicken my wife cooked, he'll eat pasta.

As for tricks to get him to eat - if we know that we are going to feed him something that he may not like then we limit the amount of snacks he has during the afternoon. By the time dinner rolls around he's more hungry and will eat just about anything.

We don't starve him, we just give him a smaller 4pm snack like an apple and by the time 6:30 has arrived he's pretty hungry and will eat.

He's never had soda, cake, french fries, or really anything bad (don't call me Marv Marinovich please), we figure he'll get that stuff in due time, but we don't introduce any of that because we don't want him to know what it is like and then stop eating the stuff my wife cooks.

Agree on the TV. He doesn't really like anything on TV yet, but if it's educational then I'm OK with it.

I didn't get to watch much TV when I was younger and by the time I went to college all I wanted to do was watch as much as I could. I think if you deprive your child of something then sooner or later they will be able to do what they want and just go crazy with it.
Dick Hertz
Gray

Postby PrettyKimmy » 29 Aug 2006, 17:53

Simple advice: skip the kids and invest in a kitten, an automatic litter box and a self-feeder.
PrettyKimmy
Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson

Postby nerf66 » 29 Aug 2006, 17:57

Dick Hertz wrote:He's never had soda, cake, french fries, or really anything bad (don't call me Marv Marinovich please), we figure he'll get that stuff in due time

then this:

Dick Hertz wrote:I didn't get to watch much TV when I was younger and by the time I went to college all I wanted to do was watch as much as I could. I think if you deprive your child of something then sooner or later they will be able to do what they want and just go crazy with it.

here's to your fat son, Dad!
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby Dick Hertz » 29 Aug 2006, 17:57

I never thought I would have gotten married, but I did 4 years ago, and have one child with another on the way in November.

It really is a hard job being a parent - especially for the first few years with the whole teething fiasco and if they don't sleep during the night.

But, with that said, there is nothin better than walking in that door after work and your kid sees you and smiles and runs to you. Of course, in a few years when he's a teenager, he'll hear me come home and tell his friend to throw the joint out the window, but I've got a few years until then.
Dick Hertz
Gray

Postby nova » 29 Aug 2006, 18:02

Dick Hertz wrote:Pasta is our 'go to' food. If he won't eat the chicken my wife cooked, he'll eat pasta.

As for tricks to get him to eat - if we know that we are going to feed him something that he may not like then we limit the amount of snacks he has during the afternoon. By the time dinner rolls around he's more hungry and will eat just about anything.

We don't starve him, we just give him a smaller 4pm snack like an apple and by the time 6:30 has arrived he's pretty hungry and will eat.

He's never had soda, cake, french fries, or really anything bad (don't call me Marv Marinovich please), we figure he'll get that stuff in due time, but we don't introduce any of that because we don't want him to know what it is like and then stop eating the stuff my wife cooks.

Agree on the TV. He doesn't really like anything on TV yet, but if it's educational then I'm OK with it.

I didn't get to watch much TV when I was younger and by the time I went to college all I wanted to do was watch as much as I could. I think if you deprive your child of something then sooner or later they will be able to do what they want and just go crazy with it.

If I recall correctly, your kid is only 19 months right? That was Little Nova at that age; however, after a road-trip where we were in the car for 10 hours, she kind of got hooked on that food. It happens. We have to make an effort and not be lazy, and eat fast food every night because we both work.

Moreover, I think that if you let your kid eat fast food, it's pretty much going to have to be mandatory that you send him/her outside for 20-45 minutes a day.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Next

Return to Misc.