Vacation. Starring you as Clark Griswold.

Other stuff in other stuff.

Vacation. Starring you as Clark Griswold.

Postby Rodney Farva » 21 May 2006, 15:10

Thought maybe we could use a thread for vacation stories/pics,

SOTSG collectively, to Farva, wrote:STFU Jew!!111 Why do we need a thread for this?

since it's kind of embarrassing to break up a string of nice hot chicks in the pic thread for a shot of you and the kids at WallyWorld. Plus those who couldn't give a shit about this subject (which, granted, could be everyone but me) can easily ignore this thread permanently.

I just got back from a 4-day weekend in Cappadocia. It's an area in central Turkey that has amazing landscapes. The area is ringed by three dormant volcanoes, which erupted tens of millions of years ago and covered the area with mineral-rich volcanic ash. Over time the ash was compressed into a stone called tufa, and left the landscape littered with thousands of rock formations that look like sand dunes or meringue. Most of the rock is sand-colored, but in areas with concentrations of particular minerals you find reddish, white, pink, brown and green. The mineral content also means the soil is fertile, so they grow a lot of good fruit there, including grapes that they use to make some pretty decent wine.

For centuries people carved out caves, houses and churches into the stone, and some are still used today; there were also entire underground cities. We rented a small house that had caves underneath, and Mrs. Farva stayed a few extra days (more on that below) and is in a cave hotel. There are lots of walking trails down through the different valleys, and you can enter a lot of the caves, some of which lead into amazing old churches with beautiful frescoes on the ceilings. And for those of you who are completely bored, the area also draws a ton of smoking hot backpacker chicks, some of whom seem to have actually used a shower recently.

Mrs. Farva stayed behind for a few days, and I had a 9 hour drive home by myself with the kids. About 20 minutes into the trip, Rodney Jr. started projectile vomiting, covering himself, his car seat, his sister and half the back seat. So I got to change both their clothes alongside the road, in the middle of nowhere, then drive the last 8-1/2 hours with that lovely aroma filling the car. Good times!

Here's a few pics.

This last one is a rug we bought on the trip:

You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby kaskomm09 » 21 May 2006, 15:16

That shit is crazy man. I've never seen any landscapes that in my life. Thanks for the pics.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Tecmo Bo » 21 May 2006, 16:05

Sweet pics, looks like someplace I should visit. I think I've had wine from that region when i was in Poland, but can't swear to it, i was kind of tipsy at the time.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby sportsdorkhater » 21 May 2006, 16:47

come on dude, what about that sweet thread the fucKKKnut started so he could make a joke about immigrants?

(nice pics, btw)
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Theny » 22 May 2006, 08:18

I thought we already had a vacation thread....
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby SouthernYokel » 22 May 2006, 08:32

Those are impressive pictures there farva. If my Zion/grand canyon/yellowstone picture cd was at work i'd put some of mine in here.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby DirtDawg » 22 May 2006, 09:47

Nothing personal Farva, but my thoughts on this thread: meh.

You probably don't care...but I felt like sharing.
Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
MTM - A saint that rapes is still saint.
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten

Postby Fletch » 22 May 2006, 09:51

Nice pics, Car Ramrod. Looks like you journeyed to another planet.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rodney Farva » 22 May 2006, 10:10

no offense taken, dawg.

theny, if there's another thread (other than that fucknut abomination), i'll be glad to move my post there and ask a mod to kill this one.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Theny » 22 May 2006, 10:41

Rodney Farva wrote:no offense taken, dawg.

theny, if there's another thread (other than that fucknut abomination), i'll be glad to move my post there and ask a mod to kill this one.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of Bucknut's "Ah Vacation" thread. Whatever, I don't care either way.

Nice pics, btw, that shit looks crazy.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby CT4SOX » 30 May 2006, 14:18

This really isn't a vacation but I didn't know where else to put it. I'm going to be in Norfolk next week for work and I know we have some Virginians on the board. Any suggestions on where to eat, good bar/nightlife, etc.?
2007 SOTSG March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
CT4SOX
Hope College Alum

Postby Ulysses Everett McGill » 30 May 2006, 14:39

CT4SOX wrote:This really isn't a vacation but I didn't know where else to put it. I'm going to be in Norfolk next week for work and I know we have some Virginians on the board. Any suggestions on where to eat, good bar/nightlife, etc.?

Near downtown Norfolk, you'll want to go to Waterside. It's right on the water and is one big building that includes 3-4 clubs and 4-5 chain restaurants [think Hooters, Joe's Crab Shack, etc...].

You might also ask around for directions to the new area of Virginia Beach Boulevard for Bravo, Ruth's Chris, Cheesecake Factory, Smokey Joe's.

Anywhere near the Rudee Inlet would be good and for trendy, ask the concierge about Ghent.
FRSB

[Mon 2:08] Dick Hertz: it's also called - "ringing the cowbell". ask tiff about it.
Ulysses Everett McGill
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JichaelDick » 30 May 2006, 15:17

No real interesting stories from D.C./Charleston, and sadly, the pics are back in Alabama.

Still, I do have a new Washington Nationals hat (anybody asks, it's a really old-school Twins hat) and a George Mason T-shirt (always glad to help the school of an SotSG pal). And I did have a $2 bill from Monticello, but in my hurry to pay for a Diet Dr. Pepper there, I put it in the machine. Not good times.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby SouthernYokel » 30 May 2006, 15:19

I have one about splitting my toenail and my buddy Dykes hitting his face on a ceiling fan, but it's long and i'm leaving work, so it'll have to wait.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Frank the Tank » 03 Jul 2006, 20:39

Went to York PA to see the mom-in-law who just moved there. I didn't take pics because I was too lazy to carry a camera.

Went to Gettysburg on Saturday. Seeing the battlefields gives me new appreciation for just how bloody the battle was. The fields go on and on, creating a sense of awe. Really a fantastic place to visit. I recommend the driving tour.

Also went to the Strasburg Railroad. Great fun for those 8 and under and quite tolerable for those who are older.

Beat Mrs. Tank in a miniature golf match to determine who had to fill the gas tank for the drive home. All-in-all a successful trip.

ETA: oh, and I picked up 24 Yuengling Lager and 24 Yuengling Black and Tan on the drive home.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to Misc.